    I received a message ostensibly from mozilla that my registry needed to be
    scaned and refreshed. Any one touching my registry raises questions in my
    mind. Can any ne telll me if a mozilla message of this sort is safe?
    Leo Kline, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Leo Kline

    gwtc Guest

    Leo Kline wrote:
    > I received a message ostensibly from mozilla that my registry needed to be
    > scaned and refreshed. Any one touching my registry raises questions in my
    > mind. Can any ne telll me if a mozilla message of this sort is safe?

    Have you got an anti-virus wanting to scan it? How did this message
    come to you? What where you doing? Sorry, but this is the first I've
    seen of that.
    gwtc, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Leo Kline

    wicked Guest

    Leo Kline wrote:
    > I received a message ostensibly from mozilla that my registry needed to be
    > scaned and refreshed. Any one touching my registry raises questions in my
    > mind. Can any ne telll me if a mozilla message of this sort is safe?

    Sounds like spam.
    wicked, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Leo Kline

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:16:18 -0800, in message
     <>, Leo Kline wrote:

    > I received a message ostensibly from mozilla that my registry needed to be
    > scaned and refreshed.

    What sort of message?
    A browser pop-up while using a Mozilla browser?
    An email message purporting to be from the Mozilla foundation?
    Other....

    As far as I can tell from your description, this could be a website
    pop-up advertisement sleazily trying to sell you some second-rate
    product to scan your Windows registry. FYI newer versions of Mozilla
    browsers guard against confusion by naming the webserver in the
    pop-up's title bar.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before
    Ralph Fox, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Leo Kline

    Leo Kline Guest

    The message pops up after I have opened the mozilla browser. It is presisley
    "Mozilla 2122-mozilla firefoxegistry cleaner recommended. Errors in registry
    data base, if present, could cause erattic operation and other problems
    inclucing Slow syst performance etc.
    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...

    Leo Kline, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Leo Kline

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:09:01 -0800, in message
     <>, Leo Kline wrote:

    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:16:18 -0800, in message
    > > <>, Leo Kline wrote:
    > >
    > >> I received a message ostensibly from mozilla that my registry needed to
    > >> be
    > >> scaned and refreshed.

    > > What sort of message?
    > > A browser pop-up while using a Mozilla browser?
    > > An email message purporting to be from the Mozilla foundation?
    > > Other....
    > >
    > > As far as I can tell from your description, this could be a website
    > > pop-up advertisement sleazily trying to sell you some second-rate
    > > product to scan your Windows registry. FYI newer versions of Mozilla
    > > browsers guard against confusion by naming the webserver in the
    > > pop-up's title bar.
    > >

    > The message pops up after I have opened the mozilla browser.

    1. Which version of the Mozilla browser are you using?

    > It is presisley
    > "Mozilla 2122-mozilla firefoxegistry cleaner recommended. Errors in registry
    > data base, if present, could cause erattic operation and other problems
    > inclucing Slow syst performance etc.

    2. This looks like a common website pop-up advertisement.
    The same pop-up is also seen in other browsers.

    Perhaps you have your home page set to a website which opens pop-up
    windows with advertisements.

    3. Which version of the Mozilla browser are you using?

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."
    Ralph Fox, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Leo Kline

    Leo Kline Guest

    I'm running firefox 1.0 Mozilla/5.0. It sounds like your saying that
    whatever the source of the message , it's not really a mozilla message and I
    should ignor it?

    Leo Kline, Nov 14, 2005
  8. Leo Kline

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:54:22 -0800, in message
     <>, Leo Kline wrote:

    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > >> The message pops up after I have opened the mozilla browser.

    --snip--

    > >> It is presisley
    > >> "Mozilla 2122-mozilla firefoxegistry cleaner recommended. Errors in
    > >> registry
    > >> data base, if present, could cause erattic operation and other problems
    > >> inclucing Slow syst performance etc.

    > > 2. This looks like a common website pop-up advertisement.
    > > The same pop-up is also seen in other browsers.
    > >
    > > Perhaps you have your home page set to a website which opens pop-up
    > > windows with advertisements.
    > >
    > > 3. Which version of the Mozilla browser are you using?

    > I'm running firefox 1.0 Mozilla/5.0.

    I suggest that you upgrade from Firefox 1.0 to Firefox 1.0.7.

    > It sounds like your saying that
    > whatever the source of the message , it's not really a mozilla message and I
    > should ignor it?

    From your description of the message, yes -- this appears to be a
    pop-up advertisement which is not really a mozilla message.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    You don't win wars by dying for your country.
    You win by making the other poor bastard die for his country.
    Ralph Fox, Nov 15, 2005