Registry surveillance

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jeff G, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    Does anybody know of an easy-to-use app that will keep tabs on your
    registry (for Win XP Pro) and inform you when there is a change? We all
    know some malware makes changes to the registry, so watching for changes
    in the registry during periods when you aren't installing new apps is
    one way to catch malware installs that you're other security measures
    doesn't detect.

    I had one such app called "Registry Spy". But it generated reports in
    ..html that were at least 20 pages long. It was so complicated that I
    uninstalled it. My computer would become unusable and nearly crash when
    I used it for surveillance and looked for a report because the reports
    were so long. It would be great to have a security app that took a
    snapshot of your registry when you installed it, and would only show you
    changes when you ran it and not all the values, keys, etc.

    As I said more than a month ago, Abtrusion Detector would have ben a
    great security tool if it wasn't buggy, presenting you from installing
    safe, preapproved software when you wanted to install something such as
    Macromedia Dreamworks. It was supposed to automatically allow as
    trusted al software from Macromedia as well as Microsoft and a couple
    other major vendors.

    Thanks to you all for your time and suggestions.
    Jeff G, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Jeff G

    IPGrunt Guest

    On 12 Feb 2005, Jeff G <> postulated in

    > Does anybody know of an easy-to-use app that will keep tabs on your
    > registry (for Win XP Pro) and inform you when there is a change?

    We all
    > know some malware makes changes to the registry, so watching for

    changes
    > in the registry during periods when you aren't installing new apps

    is
    > one way to catch malware installs that you're other security

    measures
    > doesn't detect.
    >
    > I had one such app called "Registry Spy". But it generated reports

    in
    > .html that were at least 20 pages long. It was so complicated that

    > uninstalled it. My computer would become unusable and nearly crash

    when
    > I used it for surveillance and looked for a report because the

    reports
    > were so long. It would be great to have a security app that took a
    > snapshot of your registry when you installed it, and would only

    show you
    > changes when you ran it and not all the values, keys, etc.
    >
    > As I said more than a month ago, Abtrusion Detector would have ben

    > great security tool if it wasn't buggy, presenting you from

    installing
    > safe, preapproved software when you wanted to install something

    such as
    > Macromedia Dreamworks. It was supposed to automatically allow as
    > trusted al software from Macromedia as well as Microsoft and a

    couple
    > other major vendors.
    >
    > Thanks to you all for your time and suggestions.

    Geoff,

    Take a look at the Sysinternals tool, Regmon. I believe it may even
    come with sources.

    It will monitor your registry in real time, and provides filters for
    selective viewing.

    HOWEVER, this is not a user-level tool. Once you operate Regmon,
    you'll begin to understand how much the registry is used at all
    times, by everything!

    Since the registry is used constantly in windows, a tool that looks
    for unusual registry access would have to be very intelligent,
    indeed.

    -- ipgrunt
    IPGrunt, Feb 12, 2005

  3. In article <>, on Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:03:26 -0500, Jeff G
    <> wrote:

    | Does anybody know of an easy-to-use app that will keep tabs on your
    | registry (for Win XP Pro) and inform you when there is a change?

    Free:

    <http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot>

    "RegistryProt is a 100% free, standalone, compact, low-level realtime registry monitor and
    protector, that adds another dimension to Windows security and intrusion detection. By monitoring
    important locations and keys in the Windows system registry, RegistryProt will alert whenever a key
    is added or changed, and then give the option of accepting the key change, reverting back to the
    original key setting, or deleting the key."

    Commercial:

    <http://www.greyware.com/software/grr/overview.asp"

    "Grr! (Greyware Registry Rearguard) automatically protects the vulnerable Windows 9x/ME/Windows
    NT4/2K/XP/2003/XP/2003 Registry and other vital system config files from unauthorized changes by
    viruses/worms/trojans, spyware, hackers, and even mistakes you might make yourself!"

    --
    DavidPostill
    David Postill, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Jeff G

    poerth Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:03:26 -0500, Jeff G <> wrote:

    > Does anybody know of an easy-to-use app that will keep tabs on your
    > registry (for Win XP Pro) and inform you when there is a change?

    I suggest you "Stop dialers" it is a real time anti-dialers protection
    with register change monitoring - you can download it at:
    www.socket2000.com
    poerth, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Jeff G

    winged Guest

    Jeff G wrote:
    > Does anybody know of an easy-to-use app that will keep tabs on your
    > registry (for Win XP Pro) and inform you when there is a change? We all
    > know some malware makes changes to the registry, so watching for changes
    > in the registry during periods when you aren't installing new apps is
    > one way to catch malware installs that you're other security measures
    > doesn't detect.
    >
    > I had one such app called "Registry Spy". But it generated reports in
    > ..html that were at least 20 pages long. It was so complicated that I
    > uninstalled it. My computer would become unusable and nearly crash when
    > I used it for surveillance and looked for a report because the reports
    > were so long. It would be great to have a security app that took a
    > snapshot of your registry when you installed it, and would only show you
    > changes when you ran it and not all the values, keys, etc.
    >
    > As I said more than a month ago, Abtrusion Detector would have ben a
    > great security tool if it wasn't buggy, presenting you from installing
    > safe, preapproved software when you wanted to install something such as
    > Macromedia Dreamworks. It was supposed to automatically allow as
    > trusted al software from Macromedia as well as Microsoft and a couple
    > other major vendors.
    >
    > Thanks to you all for your time and suggestions.

    TeaTimer in Spybot S&D Gas a fairly innocuous and simple registry guard,
    doesn't track changes but will ask you if you wish to allow y/n
    Regmon works too
    winged
    winged, Feb 15, 2005