    Go to: RegistryRepairXP.com to scan and repair.

    Should I open this?
    Thanks in advance. Perila

    perila, Aug 7, 2006

  2. perila

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    perila <> opined loudly:
    > Hi I keep getting this message:
    >
    > MESSENGER SERVICE - Message from system to inform you about serious
    > virus detection on 8//7 - (and then it lists the time) Critical
    > REgistry Error
    >
    > Go to: RegistryRepairXP.com to scan and repair.
    >
    > Should I open this?
    > Thanks in advance. Perila

    NO
    --

    Yddap

    Yddap, Aug 7, 2006

  3. perila

    Toolman Tim Guest

    perila wrote:
    > Hi I keep getting this message:
    >
    > MESSENGER SERVICE - Message from system to inform you about serious
    > virus detection on 8//7 - (and then it lists the time) Critical
    > REgistry Error
    >
    > Go to: RegistryRepairXP.com to scan and repair.
    >
    > Should I open this?
    > Thanks in advance. Perila

    Do NOT click on anything of that nature.

    Turn off the messenger service - it's being used for SPAM:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx

    Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2006
  4. perila

    its_my_dime Guest

    "perila" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I keep getting this message:
    >
    > MESSENGER SERVICE - Message from system to inform you about serious virus
    > detection on 8//7 - (and then it lists the time) Critical REgistry Error
    >
    > Go to: RegistryRepairXP.com to scan and repair.
    >
    > Should I open this?
    > Thanks in advance. Perila

    You have some sort of virus that is giving you this popup. You may well
    have downloaded it from the web before your antivirus software was working.

    RegistryRepairXP will try to sell you something but won't handle your
    problem.

    Do a thorough virus scan. I would recommend (although some might not think
    it is effective) that you go to the Microsoft web site and download / run
    Windows Defender. Make sure that your pop-up blockers are in place.

    its_my_dime, Aug 7, 2006
  5. perila

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:56:01 GMT, "its_my_dime"
    <(hold the .spam)> wrote:

    >You have some sort of virus that is giving you this popup. You may well
    >have downloaded it from the web before your antivirus software was working.

    Really? A virus? And not perhaps a unpatched system without a
    firewall?

    Evan Platt, Aug 7, 2006
  6. perila

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:45:45 -0400, "perila" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi I keep getting this message:
    >
    >MESSENGER SERVICE - Message from system to inform you about serious virus
    >detection on 8//7 - (and then it lists the time) Critical REgistry Error
    >
    >Go to: RegistryRepairXP.com to scan and repair.
    >
    >Should I open this?

    No.

    First of all, you aren't running a firewall. If you ARE, it's badly
    misconfigured.

    Details on your computer would help - how you connect to the internet,
    the operating system, etc.

    Evan Platt, Aug 7, 2006
  7. perila

    thanatoid Guest

    "its_my_dime" <(hold the .spam)>
    wrote in news:51MBg.6467$-nyc.rr.com:

    > "perila" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi I keep getting this message:
    >>
    >> MESSENGER SERVICE - Message from system to inform you
    >> about serious virus detection on 8//7 - (and then it lists
    >> the time) Critical REgistry Error
    >>
    >> Go to: RegistryRepairXP.com to scan and repair.
    >>
    >> Should I open this?
    >> Thanks in advance. Perila
    >>

    > You have some sort of virus that is giving you this popup.
    > You may well have downloaded it from the web before your
    > antivirus software was working.
    >
    > RegistryRepairXP will try to sell you something but won't
    > handle your problem.
    >
    > Do a thorough virus scan. I would recommend (although some
    > might not think it is effective) that you go to the
    > Microsoft web site and download / run Windows Defender.
    > Make sure that your pop-up blockers are in place.

    Bad advice, sorry. Even though I don't use XP or IE OR any
    messenger programs, I will go out on a tiny branch and say that
    is bad advice. Oh, I already said it.

    At best, it's a site spamming its product through an unfortunate
    function of messenger programs. At worst, it's a site that, if
    accessed with IE, may give you some serious problems.

    I know it's hard to let go of "hey, it's me! how ya doing? yeah,
    nothing new here either... See ya!!!" type of communication
    (sigh) but like the other reply said, get rid of your messenger
    stuff, and configure your firewall well. (Or GET one and have
    someone help you with it. Also install Spybot-Search and
    Destroy. It's the best and it's free.)

    Even though AFAIK, these sort of semi-pop-ups are firewall-
    resistant which is why you just have to either learn to live
    with/ignore them, or forget about messaging. But I could be
    wrong.

    AFA downloading ANY security-related programs from Microsoft,
    you'd have to be an idiot to do that. XP is the biggest trojan
    around, as recent news stories clearly prove.

    thanatoid, Aug 7, 2006
  8. perila

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Perila - I would strongly advise you NOT to go there. This is most
    likely just spam from a 'scare vendor', or even possibly an attempt by a
    'malware' vendor to get you to infect your machine.

    If you get popups even when your browser is not connected to the Internet
    with a title bar reading "Messenger Service", then these are most likely due
    to open NetBios TCP ports 135, 139 and 445 and UDP ports 135, 137-138 and a
    UDP port in the range of 1026-1029.. You really need to block these with a
    firewall as a general protection measure. You can stop the popups by
    turning off Messenger Service; however, this still leaves you vulnerable.
    If you have an NT-based OS such as XP or Win2k, you should probably also
    specifically block TCP ports 593, 4444 and UDP ports 69, 139, 445, and
    install the very important 824146 and 823980 patches from MS03-026 and
    MS03-039, here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=824146 to
    block the Blaster worm as well as several other parasites. There is a tool
    available here to check for these patches:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827363

    See: Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904 which identifies reasons to
    keep this service and steps to take if you do.

    You can test your system and follow the 'Prevention' link to get additional
    information here:
    http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp Unless you have very good
    reasons to keep this active, it should be turned off in Win2k and XP. Go
    here and do what it says:
    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/ or, even better, get
    MessageSubtract, free, here, which will give you flexible control of the
    service and viewing of these messages:
    http://www.intermute.com/messagesubtract/help.html Recommended.

    (FWIW, ZoneAlarm's default Internet Zone firewall configuration blocks the
    necessary ports to prevent this use of Messenger Service. I don't know the
    situation with regard to other firewalls.)

    Messenger Service is not per se Spyware or something that MS did wrong - It
    provides a messaging capability which is useful for local intranets and is
    also sometimes (albeit nowadays infrequently) used by some applications to
    provide popup messages to users. However, it can also be (and now frequently
    is) used to introduce spam via this open NetBIOS channel. For a single user
    home computer, it normally isn't needed and can be turned off which will
    eliminate the spam popups. This DOESN'T, however, remove the vulnerability
    of having these ports open, when in fact they aren't needed, since they can
    be perverted in other ways as well, some of which can be much more damaging
    than just a spam popup.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here: