Registry Questions

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. Ted wrote:
    > MS Help says to type regedit to edit 64 bit registry,
    > it also says that 64 bit registry files located in
    > C:\Windows\System32\Config
    >
    > While it says to type
    > C:\Windows\SysWow64\regedit to edit the 32 bit registry.
    > also it says that the 32 bit registry files located in the Syswow64
    > directory.
    >
    > Whether I type Regedit or C:\Windows\SysWow64\regedit, I get the
    > same Registry. ??
    > I can't find any registry files in the C:\Windows\SysWow64 directory
    > ??
    > Why does the registry has SysWow64 sections in it, while I
    > see that 32 bit software have been registered in the 64 bit
    > registry and the SysWow64 sections.
    >
    > Very confusing, hope somebody can shed some light.

    From 32-bit programs, you can only see the 32-bit nodes of the registry. So
    running SysWOW64\regedit.exe will only show you the 32-bit version of the
    registry. Running the 64-bit version will show you both -- the 64-bit
    registry, and the 32-bit nodes that are in it.

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005

  3. In the Software node of HKLM, you should see "Wow6432Node" from the 64-bit
    regedit. You will not see it from the 32-bit regedit. (And the actual
    contents of the rest of the software node will not be the same, obviously.)

    If you're NOT seeing this, then have you, deliberately or unintentionally,
    changed your default shell to 32-bit Explorer?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  5. Read the article at:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/win64/win64/running_32_bit_applications.asp
    especially the Registry Redirector.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  6. yw

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Ted Guest

    >In the Software node of HKLM, you should see "Wow6432Node"

    I see the node, still confusing.
    It is just going to take time to study the registry behavior
    once 64 BIT applications are around.

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  8. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Ted Guest

    I think I see why I got confused.
    Must have misread Wow6432Node to be the SysWow64 directory.
    There is no reg files in the SysWow64 directory.

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005