Registry Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lady Rhyanon, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    Hi. I am on an HP Pavillion 5310US with Windows XP. I use Paint Shop Pro X
    for graphic editing. I had recently posted in the corel.PaintShopProX
    newsgroup about a problem I have been having where PSP will open a new
    instance of itself each time I double click on an image or graphic to edit
    it. One of the suggestions given was to do the following:

    "Start Regedit and make the following changes:

    Locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Paint Shop Pro
    X.exe\shell\Open\ddeexec
    and change the value of (default) to
    [open("%1")]"

    Now, when I got to the last part of that, there was no \ddeexec folder or
    file. The only other folder in that directory was \command.

    Do I need to make a ddeexec folder? Or how would I do this?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Lady R

    Lady Rhyanon, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Lady Rhyanon

    Brian Day Guest

    "Lady Rhyanon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I am on an HP Pavillion 5310US with Windows XP. I use Paint Shop Pro
    > for graphic editing. I had recently posted in the corel.PaintShopProX
    > newsgroup about a problem I have been having where PSP will open a new
    > instance of itself each time I double click on an image or graphic to edit
    > it. One of the suggestions given was to do the following:
    >
    > "Start Regedit and make the following changes:
    >
    > Locate the key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Paint Shop Pro
    > X.exe\shell\Open\ddeexec
    > and change the value of (default) to
    > [open("%1")]"
    >

    > Now, when I got to the last part of that, there was no \ddeexec folder or
    > file. The only other folder in that directory was \command.
    >
    > Do I need to make a ddeexec folder? Or how would I do this?
    > Any help is appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Lady R

    You would right mouse button "new key" then rename it and add new d-word
    value, - but if you want my advice and you aren't
    sure how to back up or modify your registry, i would keep well away from it.

    Brian Day

    Brian Day, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Lady Rhyanon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Lady Rhyanon wrote:
    > Hi. I am on an HP Pavillion 5310US with Windows XP. I use Paint
    > Shop Pro X for graphic editing. I had recently posted in the
    > corel.PaintShopProX newsgroup about a problem I have been having
    > where PSP will open a new instance of itself each time I double click
    > on an image or graphic to edit it. One of the suggestions given was
    > to do the following:
    > "Start Regedit and make the following changes:
    >
    > Locate the key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Paint Shop Pro
    > X.exe\shell\Open\ddeexec
    > and change the value of (default) to
    > [open("%1")]"
    >

    > Now, when I got to the last part of that, there was no \ddeexec
    > folder or file. The only other folder in that directory was \command.
    >
    > Do I need to make a ddeexec folder? Or how would I do this?
    > Any help is appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Lady R

    Wow! A PaintShop Pro user! I thought Photoshop had killed Corel <g>

    (I still use an old copy of PaintShop that came with Ventura Publisher 8 -
    never upgraded.)

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Lady Rhyanon

    Lady Rhyanon Guest

    "Brian Day" <> wrote in message

    > "Lady Rhyanon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi. I am on an HP Pavillion 5310US with Windows XP. I use Paint Shop
    >> Pro X
    >> for graphic editing. I had recently posted in the corel.PaintShopProX
    >> newsgroup about a problem I have been having where PSP will open a new
    >> instance of itself each time I double click on an image or graphic to
    >> edit
    >> it. One of the suggestions given was to do the following:
    >>
    >> "Start Regedit and make the following changes:
    >>
    >> Locate the key
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Paint Shop Pro
    >> X.exe\shell\Open\ddeexec
    >> and change the value of (default) to
    >> [open("%1")]"
    >>

    >> Now, when I got to the last part of that, there was no \ddeexec folder or
    >> file. The only other folder in that directory was \command.
    >>
    >> Do I need to make a ddeexec folder? Or how would I do this?
    >> Any help is appreciated.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Lady R
    >>

    > You would right mouse button "new key" then rename it and add new d-word
    > value, - but if you want my advice and you aren't
    > sure how to back up or modify your registry, i would keep well away from
    > it.
    >
    > Brian Day

    Thank you, Brian :)
    Lady R