registry problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Felt Lair, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Felt Lair

    Felt Lair Guest

    When I boot I get the following message -- with four different .vxd's:

    Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
    Application.

    The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the
    device file no longer exists.

    If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
    application using its uninstall or setup program.

    If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
    try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

    The four files associated with this message are:

    1> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgCore.vxd
    2> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgFsh.vxd
    3> Progra~1\CA\ETrust~1\Etrust~1\vetmon9x.vxd
    4> vsdata95.vxd

    I assume they are all orphan files and if I could delete them from the
    registry (they are NOT in SYSTEM.INI) all would be well. But I cannot find
    them in the registry.

    Anyone tell me how to locate them, and how to safely delete them?

    Thanks in advance.

    Felt Lair, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Felt Lair

    Kenny Guest

    1. Re-install AVG & Etrust software then uninstall them properly.
    2. Download and run the registry cleaner in JV16 Power Tools, it's a 30 day
    free trial.
    http://www.macecraft.com/brief_pt/

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 5, 2004

  3. "Felt Lair" <> wrote in message
    > When I boot I get the following message -- with four different .vxd's:
    >
    > Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows
    > Application.
    >
    > The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but
    > the
    > device file no longer exists.
    >
    > If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
    > application using its uninstall or setup program.
    >
    > If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
    > try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
    >
    > The four files associated with this message are:
    >
    > 1> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgCore.vxd
    > 2> Grisoft\AVG6\AvgFsh.vxd
    > 3> Progra~1\CA\ETrust~1\Etrust~1\vetmon9x.vxd
    > 4> vsdata95.vxd
    >
    > I assume they are all orphan files and if I could delete them from the
    > registry (they are NOT in SYSTEM.INI) all would be well. But I cannot find
    > them in the registry.
    >
    > Anyone tell me how to locate them, and how to safely delete them?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Run hijack this (download from webby below)
    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    Click scan.
    Locate the 4 files above - select them - click fix

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Jun 5, 2004