Registry problem - missing files or device on bootup. please help?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SS, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. SS

    SS Guest

    I have just reloaded windows 98SE and my internet. I may have pressed some
    buttons I shouldn't but every time I boot up i get the message "Cannot find
    a device file that may be needed to run a windows or a windows application
    application. The windows registry or system.ini refers to this device file
    but the device no longer exists"

    This message comes up 3 times for the files vnesetup.vxd, vredir.vxd, and
    dfs.vxd. Then when windows has loaded I get the message WINDOWS NETWORKING -
    unable to load the dynamic link library MSNP32.dll the system cannot find
    file some features may not be available - MICROSOFT NETWORK.

    Everything runs OK just have to keep hitting return on bootup which is a
    nuisance. How can I rectify this problem? Why is it happening? What is it?!

    Thanks
     
    SS, Dec 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. SS

    Rob K Guest

    SS wrote:
    <snip>
    > Why is it happening? What is it?!
    >



    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/

    The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
    components is somewhat different IIRC.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy
     
    Rob K, Dec 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. SS

    SS Guest

    Thanks. I did a search for the problem using another file name of the ones
    'missing' and in fact found that i could extract the files through 'RUN SFC'
    (system file checker' and extracting the files from the Win 98 installation
    disk and saving them to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory. This got rid of the
    startup problem having to 'press any key' but I still got the error message
    from WINDOWS NETWORKING (unable to load dynamic link library MSNP32.dll)
    despite also extracting this file to the system folder - still looking for a
    fix. Thanks 4 your advice

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > SS wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > Why is it happening? What is it?!
    > >

    >
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/
    >
    > The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
    > components is somewhat different IIRC.
    >
    > --
    > My E-mail address in ROT-13
    > vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy
     
    SS, Dec 29, 2005
    #3
  4. SS

    Trax Guest

    "SS" <> wrote:

    |>Thanks. I did a search for the problem using another file name of the ones
    |>'missing' and in fact found that i could extract the files through 'RUN SFC'
    |>(system file checker' and extracting the files from the Win 98 installation
    |>disk and saving them to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory. This got rid of the
    |>startup problem having to 'press any key' but I still got the error message
    |>from WINDOWS NETWORKING (unable to load dynamic link library MSNP32.dll)
    |>despite also extracting this file to the system folder - still looking for a
    |>fix. Thanks 4 your advice

    Most likely you need to register MSNP32.dll

    Forget how to do it on a Win98
    IIRC it's:
    Start | Run| regsvr32 MSNP32.dll <enter>


    |>"Rob K" <> wrote in message
    |>news:...
    |>> SS wrote:
    |>> <snip>
    |>> > Why is it happening? What is it?!
    |>> >
    |>>
    |>>
    |>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/
    |>>
    |>> The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
    |>> components is somewhat different IIRC.
    |>>
    |>> --
    |>> My E-mail address in ROT-13
    |>> vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy
    |>


    --
    Puzzle break.
    http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html
     
    Trax, Dec 29, 2005
    #4
  5. SS

    Trax Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    |> "SS" <> wrote:
    |>
    |>|>Thanks. I did a search for the problem using another file name of the ones
    |>|>'missing' and in fact found that i could extract the files through 'RUN SFC'
    |>|>(system file checker' and extracting the files from the Win 98 installation
    |>|>disk and saving them to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory. This got rid of the
    |>|>startup problem having to 'press any key' but I still got the error message
    |>|>from WINDOWS NETWORKING (unable to load dynamic link library MSNP32.dll)
    |>|>despite also extracting this file to the system folder - still looking for a
    |>|>fix. Thanks 4 your advice
    |>
    |>Most likely you need to register MSNP32.dll
    |>
    |>Forget how to do it on a Win98
    |>IIRC it's:
    |>Start | Run| regsvr32 MSNP32.dll <enter>

    Posted then googled, the command is
    regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msnp32.dll
    http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/166554.html

    |>|>"Rob K" <> wrote in message
    |>|>news:...
    |>|>> SS wrote:
    |>|>> <snip>
    |>|>> > Why is it happening? What is it?!
    |>|>> >
    |>|>>
    |>|>>
    |>|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/
    |>|>>
    |>|>> The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
    |>|>> components is somewhat different IIRC.
    |>|>>
    |>|>> --
    |>|>> My E-mail address in ROT-13
    |>|>> vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy
    |>|>


    --
    Puzzle break.
    http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html
     
    Trax, Dec 29, 2005
    #5
  6. SS

    SS Guest

    Seems to be OK now I uninstalled and installed Microsoft networking as
    advised on a discussion group - thanks to all - unless you are 'up' on these
    things tends to be very confusing!

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Trax <> wrote:
    >
    > |> "SS" <> wrote:
    > |>
    > |>|>Thanks. I did a search for the problem using another file name of the

    ones
    > |>|>'missing' and in fact found that i could extract the files through

    'RUN SFC'
    > |>|>(system file checker' and extracting the files from the Win 98

    installation
    > |>|>disk and saving them to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory. This got rid of

    the
    > |>|>startup problem having to 'press any key' but I still got the error

    message
    > |>|>from WINDOWS NETWORKING (unable to load dynamic link library

    MSNP32.dll)
    > |>|>despite also extracting this file to the system folder - still looking

    for a
    > |>|>fix. Thanks 4 your advice
    > |>
    > |>Most likely you need to register MSNP32.dll
    > |>
    > |>Forget how to do it on a Win98
    > |>IIRC it's:
    > |>Start | Run| regsvr32 MSNP32.dll <enter>
    >
    > Posted then googled, the command is
    > regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msnp32.dll
    > http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/166554.html
    >
    > |>|>"Rob K" <> wrote in message
    > |>|>news:...
    > |>|>> SS wrote:
    > |>|>> <snip>
    > |>|>> > Why is it happening? What is it?!
    > |>|>> >
    > |>|>>
    > |>|>>
    > |>|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137454/
    > |>|>>
    > |>|>> The article applies to W95 - for W98 removing and installing network
    > |>|>> components is somewhat different IIRC.
    > |>|>>
    > |>|>> --
    > |>|>> My E-mail address in ROT-13
    > |>|>> vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy
    > |>|>
    >
    >
    > --
    > Puzzle break.
    > http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html
     
    SS, Dec 29, 2005
    #6
  7. SS

    Plato Guest

    SS wrote:
    >
    > I have just reloaded windows 98SE and my internet. I may have pressed some
    > buttons I shouldn't but every time I boot up i get the message "Cannot find
    > a device file that may be needed to run a windows or a windows application
    > application. The windows registry or system.ini refers to this device file
    > but the device no longer exists"
    >
    > This message comes up 3 times for the files vnesetup.vxd, vredir.vxd, and
    > dfs.vxd. Then when windows has loaded I get the message WINDOWS NETWORKING -
    > unable to load the dynamic link library MSNP32.dll the system cannot find
    > file some features may not be available - MICROSOFT NETWORK.


    One can edit system.ini and rem out the entries for the .vxd's. Or, one
    can uninstall dialup networking, reboot, and install again, which should
    fix it.


    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
     
    Plato, Dec 30, 2005
    #7
  8. SS

    Plato Guest

    SS wrote:
    >
    > Seems to be OK now I uninstalled and installed Microsoft networking as
    > advised on a discussion group - thanks to all - unless you are 'up' on these
    > things tends to be very confusing!


    Yes, that is one way. Another way is to go into system.ini and rem out
    the files it's incorrectly calling for.




    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
     
    Plato, Jan 16, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. dale

    missing registry key mystery ? HELP please.

    dale, Aug 26, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    6,358
    jkara
    Aug 28, 2003
  2. John

    Registry ket for xp NumLock @ bootup

    John, Nov 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    6,101
  3. Waxhead
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,693
    WormWood
    Dec 2, 2004
  4. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    462
  5. Rolf
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    789
Loading...

Share This Page