    action on the part of the administration?

    All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro
    Ken Gast, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Ken Gast

    Leythos Guest

    In article <_MTod.5104$>, says...
    > I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
    > indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
    > given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
    > insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
    > action on the part of the administration?
    >
    > All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    > now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    What it did doesn't matter. You were doing something that you had no
    business doing, it cost them money (time) to correct it, and you knew
    you were not suppose to do it.

    When you are in the real world you have to treat things like you are a
    GUEST, not an owner.

    Your attempting to rationalize that you were helping them by showing a
    weakness in the security is only a lame method of trying to not accept
    TOTAL responsibility for your actions.

    The computer was not yours, you used it improperly, changed a system
    setting, were aware that you were not to do it, and are being given a
    proper response for your complete lack of respect for the system,
    teacher, school, and even worse, for your own peers.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Ken Gast

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:06:18 GMT, Ken Gast wrote:
    > I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
    > indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
    > given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
    > insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
    > action on the part of the administration?

    You dinkup a school's computer, you could have been expelled or
    whatever else the administration have in their policy book.

    > All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    > now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    Does not matter. Cracking computer security is a good way to get into
    deep trouble. What would happen if you hack weakened the boxe's
    security and was used to steal credit cards. Your butt would be in
    deep dodo.

    Here read this
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/06/16/bad_raps_for_nonhacks/
    Bit Twister, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Ken Gast

    Israel Lopez Guest

    First of all, A reg hack doesn't mean much. I mean, why does it matter that
    you changed the name of the system?

    Usually schools now have deepfreeze installed on their machines. This is a
    great tool for people like you, break the machine, just reboot, it all
    fixed!

    In any case, This is a bad example, how you screw it up for everyone,
    especially me. Not only because of my age, and my knowledge. I always have
    to prove my rational to the sysadmins. While, it doesn't ruin my chances of
    contributing. But you couldn't just keep away from doing it, and you get
    what you deserve.

    Also, usually Districts will give you a AUP for granting you access to the
    school systems on that network. You have to abide by them. If you do find
    a vulnerability in the system, some AUP's give you protection given you
    don't maliciously exploit it, and not report it before causing problems.

    Now, their reaction, could have been different. Depends on the person, try
    to side with the person who has to enforce the rules, but does not have the
    power to create them. At most school's there is a general techie, a great
    way to dick around at school is to become friends with the guy. If he
    doesnt want to, then he has is own right not to.

    In anycase, it was an appropriate reaction, in terms of the "legality" of
    the incident. But again, try to be friendly with the person who might
    report ya, and just laugh it off.

    Learn to preserve

    -Iz

    Israel Lopez, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Ken Gast

    Moe Trin Guest

    In article <_MTod.5104$>, Ken Gast wrote:

    >I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
    >indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
    >given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
    >insecure?

    Let's turn this around - you give 30 kids access to your computer, and
    one of them does something like this. Would _you_ be happy? I don't
    think so. The person abused your trust - and obviously can't be trusted
    any more. They _could_ have come to you and said "there's a security
    hole here that you can fly a 747 through", and GAINED trust, but they
    didn't feel it necessary, and would rather play games with you.

    >Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
    >action on the part of the administration?

    I'd certainly consider it appropriate.

    >All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    >now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    Just so you know about this for the future when you are out in the
    workplace - your future boss could do a heck of a lot more than put
    a frowny face on your annual review. You just proved that you have
    no concept of responsibility. You're gone.

    Old guy
    Moe Trin, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Ken Gast

    nemo outis Guest

    <> wrote:
    >I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
    >indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
    >given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
    >insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
    >action on the part of the administration?
    >
    >All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    >now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    There are two sides to every disagreement - so far we've only
    heard yours.

    Moreover you admit that you knowingly did a forbidden act - did
    you give no thought to the risk or consequences? If your school
    is run by idiots with attitude rather than compassionate adults
    with some tolerance for misguided youthful pranks, surely you
    should know it is unwise to provoke them?

    And you are vague (or at least you appear to be vague) about the
    punishment. By kicked off "indefinitely" do you intend what the
    word actually means: no specified or defined end to the
    punishment, or do you mean it as a poor quasi-synonym for
    "forever?" IOW is there any prospect of remission of your
    sentence for good behaviour or expression of remorse?

    However, if the facts are materially as you represent them and
    the punishment is indeed "forever" then it does strike me as
    rather harsh and an overreaction. That's not uncommon in these
    days when officous bureaucrats have fervently embraced a "zero
    tolerance" policy for every petty infraction right down to
    "mopery with intent to gawk." However, their want of judgement
    does not excuse yours.

    I advise you, rather than bemoaning what you perceive as the
    injustice of your fate, to instead concentrate on what you are
    going to do now. Are you going to fight it, throw yourself on
    their mercy, find another school, or what? This time plan and
    consider the possible outcomes before you act :)

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Nov 25, 2004
  7. Ken Gast

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    So you think it's all right to walk into any restaurant and change the menu?
    Walk into anyone's home and rearrange the furniture? Walk into a pharmacy
    and change anyone's prescription? How about going to the auto dealer's shop
    and rearranging the mechanics tool box?
    Don't ask or check with anyone, just do it. Changing a computer system is
    the same thing. If it's not yours, leave it alone. I notice that more and
    more people are having a problem with leaving other peoples things alone in
    the USA. I don't care if it's my car, my sandwich or my pen. keep your
    cotton picking hands off of it!

    "Ken Gast" <> wrote in message
    >I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was indefinitely
    >kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have given less
    >punishment for bringing the realization that their system is insecure? Not
    >that anything will change, but was this appropriate action on the part of
    >the administration?
    >
    > All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    > now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    ---
    Rodney Kelp, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Ken Gast

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <>, "Rodney Kelp"
    <> wrote:
    >So you think it's all right to walk into any restaurant and change the menu?
    >Walk into anyone's home and rearrange the furniture? Walk into a pharmacy
    >and change anyone's prescription? How about going to the auto dealer's shop
    >and rearranging the mechanics tool box?
    >Don't ask or check with anyone, just do it. Changing a computer system is
    >the same thing. If it's not yours, leave it alone. I notice that more and
    >more people are having a problem with leaving other peoples things alone in
    >the USA. I don't care if it's my car, my sandwich or my pen. keep your
    >cotton picking hands off of it!

    You would do well to read Proudhon, the better to understand his
    dictum, "Property is theft."

    I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
    whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
    understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
    countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Ken Gast

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Only for those who haven't earned an honest days pay for the thing they
    have. People who have nothing like other peoples stuff because they are too
    fucking lazy to earn their own.

    <nemo (nemo outis)> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "Rodney Kelp"
    > <> wrote:
    >>So you think it's all right to walk into any restaurant and change the
    >>menu?
    >>Walk into anyone's home and rearrange the furniture? Walk into a pharmacy
    >>and change anyone's prescription? How about going to the auto dealer's
    >>shop
    >>and rearranging the mechanics tool box?
    >>Don't ask or check with anyone, just do it. Changing a computer system is
    >>the same thing. If it's not yours, leave it alone. I notice that more and
    >>more people are having a problem with leaving other peoples things alone
    >>in
    >>the USA. I don't care if it's my car, my sandwich or my pen. keep your
    >>cotton picking hands off of it!

    > You would do well to read Proudhon, the better to understand his
    > dictum, "Property is theft."
    >
    > I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
    > whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
    > understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
    > countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.
    >
    > Regards,

    ---
    Rodney Kelp, Nov 25, 2004
  10. Ken Gast

    Leythos Guest

    In article <PEcpd.315510$Pl.244485@pd7tw1no>, nemo
    (nemo outis) says...
    > I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
    > whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
    > understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
    > countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.

    Theft is theft, abuse is abuse, denial is not an excuse.

    It almost sounds as though you're saying that people that do wrong,
    while believing they are right, have a right to do wrong. I disagree
    strongly.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Ken Gast

    Ken Gast Guest

    Ken Gast wrote:
    > I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
    > indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
    > given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
    > insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
    > action on the part of the administration?
    >
    > All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    > now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    Yes i know it was wrong. I as my principal told me a m too damn curious.
    What do i do now to earn his trust back. I am one of the few people
    in school that see the administration as friend not enemy. I get along
    well with teachers and him also. After this incident he has asked me
    to come back as part of a technology comittee that examines the future
    plans for the technology system in the district. What can i do to gain
    his respect back. I'm not looking for a quick fix, i know it will take
    my next three years to gain his trust and respect back, but what do i
    do?? I know i fucked up immensely. I just don't know what to do
    anymore. I'm lost
    Ken Gast, Nov 25, 2004
  12. Ken Gast

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Uzmpd.5208$>,
    says...
    > Ken Gast wrote:
    > > I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
    > > indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
    > > given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
    > > insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
    > > action on the part of the administration?
    > >
    > > All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    > > now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    > Yes i know it was wrong. I as my principal told me a m too damn curious.
    > What do i do now to earn his trust back. I am one of the few people
    > in school that see the administration as friend not enemy. I get along
    > well with teachers and him also. After this incident he has asked me
    > to come back as part of a technology comittee that examines the future
    > plans for the technology system in the district. What can i do to gain
    > his respect back. I'm not looking for a quick fix, i know it will take
    > my next three years to gain his trust and respect back, but what do i
    > do?? I know i fucked up immensely. I just don't know what to do
    > anymore. I'm lost

    Ask him if you can provide a formal apology letter and admission of
    error on your part, with a written understanding that you will not make
    unauthorized changes to the computers. Ask him if you promise to abide
    by this agreement if you can get a second chance. Also tell him that you
    agree to be monitored and also to provide the instructor with any
    information on security flaws that you find.

    If they are inviting you to be part of the tech system team, then they
    already respect something about you, just do like I said above. It may
    work, it would also help to get the teacher involved.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 25, 2004
  13. Ken Gast

    Ken Gast Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <Uzmpd.5208$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Ken Gast wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
    >>>indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
    >>>given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
    >>>insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
    >>>action on the part of the administration?
    >>>
    >>>All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
    >>>now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

    >>Yes i know it was wrong. I as my principal told me a m too damn curious.
    >> What do i do now to earn his trust back. I am one of the few people
    >>in school that see the administration as friend not enemy. I get along
    >>well with teachers and him also. After this incident he has asked me
    >>to come back as part of a technology comittee that examines the future
    >>plans for the technology system in the district. What can i do to gain
    >>his respect back. I'm not looking for a quick fix, i know it will take
    >>my next three years to gain his trust and respect back, but what do i
    >>do?? I know i fucked up immensely. I just don't know what to do
    >>anymore. I'm lost

    > Ask him if you can provide a formal apology letter and admission of
    > error on your part, with a written understanding that you will not make
    > unauthorized changes to the computers. Ask him if you promise to abide
    > by this agreement if you can get a second chance. Also tell him that you
    > agree to be monitored and also to provide the instructor with any
    > information on security flaws that you find.
    >
    > If they are inviting you to be part of the tech system team, then they
    > already respect something about you, just do like I said above. It may
    > work, it would also help to get the teacher involved.

    The teachers seem to regard me very highly, since they found out what i
    did and i explained it too them they have asked me to beef up the
    security of they home systems
    Ken Gast, Nov 25, 2004
  14. Ken Gast

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <>, "Rodney Kelp" <> wrote:
    >Only for those who haven't earned an honest days pay for the thing they
    >have. People who have nothing like other peoples stuff because they are too
    >fucking lazy to earn their own.

    Ahh, I see. Incorrigibly stupid and mindlessly belligerent to
    boot.

    PLONK!
    nemo outis, Nov 26, 2004
  15. Ken Gast

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <>, Leythos <> wrote:
    >In article <PEcpd.315510$Pl.244485@pd7tw1no>, nemo
    >(nemo outis) says...
    >> I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
    >> whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
    >> understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
    >> countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.

    >Theft is theft, abuse is abuse, denial is not an excuse.
    >
    >It almost sounds as though you're saying that people that do wrong,
    >while believing they are right, have a right to do wrong. I disagree
    >strongly.

    Your concept of what constitutes right and wrong is by no means
    universal.

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Nov 26, 2004
  16. Ken Gast

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Fnzpd.344753$%k.88485@pd7tw2no>, nemo
    (nemo outis) says...
    > In article <>, Leythos <> wrote:
    > >In article <PEcpd.315510$Pl.244485@pd7tw1no>, nemo
    > >(nemo outis) says...
    > >> I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
    > >> whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
    > >> understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
    > >> countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.

    > >Theft is theft, abuse is abuse, denial is not an excuse.
    > >
    > >It almost sounds as though you're saying that people that do wrong,
    > >while believing they are right, have a right to do wrong. I disagree
    > >strongly.

    > Your concept of what constitutes right and wrong is by no means
    > universal.

    Wrong, right and wrong are simple, it's only the people that "choose" to
    do wrong that have a hard time seeing it.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 26, 2004
  17. Ken Gast

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <>, Leythos <> wrote:
    >In article <Fnzpd.344753$%k.88485@pd7tw2no>, nemo
    >(nemo outis) says...

    >> >It almost sounds as though you're saying that people that do wrong,
    >> >while believing they are right, have a right to do wrong. I disagree
    >> >strongly.

    >> Your concept of what constitutes right and wrong is by no means
    >> universal.

    >Wrong, right and wrong are simple, it's only the people that "choose" to
    >do wrong that have a hard time seeing it.

    How simple it must be to live in a world of black and white.

    Or, more accurately, simplistic!

    You aren't a Manichaean by any chance?

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Nov 26, 2004
  18. Ken Gast

    Leythos Guest

    In article <RvHpd.351499$nl.265112@pd7tw3no>, nemo
    (nemo outis) says...
    > In article <>, Leythos <> wrote:
    > >In article <Fnzpd.344753$%k.88485@pd7tw2no>, nemo
    > >(nemo outis) says...

    > >> Your concept of what constitutes right and wrong is by no means
    > >> universal.

    > >Wrong, right and wrong are simple, it's only the people that "choose" to
    > >do wrong that have a hard time seeing it.
    > >

    > How simple it must be to live in a world of black and white.

    The world is mostly binary, with few exceptions, you would do well to
    learn that.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 26, 2004
  19. Ken Gast

    Pete Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 03:51:11 GMT, nemo (nemo "bollocks"
    outis) wrote:

    >You would do well to read Proudhon, the better to understand his
    >dictum, "Property is theft."
    >
    >I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
    >whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
    >understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
    >countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.

    What a load of absolute bollocks.

    You would do well to leave the 'dictum' to one side, and consider the
    consequences your 'rectum' is having on this group. It appears to be on a
    roll again. No pun intended.

    Regards,

    Pete.
    Pete, Nov 26, 2004
  20. Ken Gast

    Pete Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 05:43:01 GMT, nemo (nemo "bollocks"
    outis) wrote:

    >Your concept of what constitutes right and wrong is by no means
    >universal.
    >
    >Regards,

    From bollocks to truism in just a few poasts. Hope springs eternal ...

    Regards,