Registry Mechanic

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Andy Petro, May 4, 2009.

  1. Andy Petro

    Andy Petro Guest

    Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?
     
    Andy Petro, May 4, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Andy Petro wrote:

    > Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?


    No.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 4, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Andy Petro

    VanguardLH Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:

    > Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?


    You feel compelled for something you can get for free?


    Why the uneducated should never use registry cleaners

    Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
    registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer boot
    into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition so it
    is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that provides for
    backups of its changes so you can revert back to the prior state, how
    are you going to perform that restore if you cannot boot the OS after
    hosing over its registry? What about entries in the registry that look
    to be orphaned under the current OS load instance but are used under a
    different OS environment? You delete what looks orphaned only to find
    out that they are required under a different environment.

    Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
    registry, like 4MB. By deleting the orphaned entries, you would speed
    up how long it takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts
    up - by all of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying
    the registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows
    startup. Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB,
    or less. They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time.
    Since the registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since
    memory is random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the
    registry (in memory) from the another byte in the registry (also in
    memory). The extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on
    the time to retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.

    Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
    memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
    files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
    probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
    inconsequential changes to its registry? The same boobs that get
    suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that get
    suckered into the memory defragment "tools".

    A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
    cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
    process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
    understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
    stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final authority
    in what registry changes are performed whether you do it manually or
    with a utility. If YOU do not understand the proposed change (which
    requires the product actually divulge the proposed change before
    committing that change), how will you know whether or not to allow that
    change?
     
    VanguardLH, May 4, 2009
    #3
  4. Andy Petro

    thanatoid Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in
    news:gtlhgl$3eb$:

    > Andy Petro wrote:
    >
    >> Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?

    >
    > You feel compelled for something you can get for free?


    I think you left out "to pay"...

    > Why the uneducated should never use registry cleaners


    <SNIP>

    Actually that is probably the best argument against "registry
    cleaners" that I have read.
    Almost everyone says they will **** up your system or do nothing
    at best, and that they are not worth the money. Well, there are
    several free ones available, I have been using Joni Vuorio's old
    one for about 8 years now. It has NEVER fucked anything up, and
    it cleans up things which anal-retentives like me do not like to
    have left behind by programs' "uninstallers".

    I also use Adv. Reg. Optimizer which claims to "defrag" the
    registry. I am sure you will say that even if it DOES that, it
    is practically irrelevant, and I will probably agree, but I
    still like to do it.

    Both programs have never caused any problems, and I usually
    clean the registry manually (I have a list of keys to check)
    before doing a C: image anyway.

    OP: No. Get a free one, or learn to clean it yourself. I am NF
    with RM, but I tried (out of boredom) System Mechanic, the 2004
    35 MB version, whch wrote about

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
    Vista and is a "product feature".
     
    thanatoid, May 4, 2009
    #4
  5. Andy Petro

    Andy Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:

    > Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?


    No.

    Registry 'Cleaners' cause more problems than they solve.

    HTH.

    Andy.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/
     
    Andy, May 4, 2009
    #5
  6. Andy Petro

    Cash Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > On 04 May 2009 09:57:10 GMT, Andy <> wrote:
    >
    >> Andy Petro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?

    >>
    >> No.
    >>
    >> Registry 'Cleaners' cause more problems than they solve.
    >>
    >> HTH.
    >>
    >> Andy.

    >
    > Bullshit. Operators cause more problems than any program


    Agreed
     
    Cash, May 4, 2009
    #6
  7. Andy Petro

    VanguardLH Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:48:42 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Andy Petro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?

    >>
    >>You feel compelled for something you can get for free?
    >>
    >>
    >>Why the uneducated should never use registry cleaners
    >>
    >>Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
    >>registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer boot
    >>into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition so it
    >>is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that provides for
    >>backups of its changes so you can revert back to the prior state, how
    >>are you going to perform that restore if you cannot boot the OS after
    >>hosing over its registry? What about entries in the registry that look
    >>to be orphaned under the current OS load instance but are used under a
    >>different OS environment? You delete what looks orphaned only to find
    >>out that they are required under a different environment.
    >>
    >>Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
    >>registry, like 4MB. By deleting the orphaned entries, you would speed
    >>up how long it takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts
    >>up - by all of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying
    >>the registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows
    >>startup. Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB,
    >>or less. They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time.
    >>Since the registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since
    >>memory is random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the
    >>registry (in memory) from the another byte in the registry (also in
    >>memory). The extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on
    >>the time to retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.
    >>
    >>Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
    >>memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
    >>files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
    >>probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
    >>inconsequential changes to its registry? The same boobs that get
    >>suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that get
    >>suckered into the memory defragment "tools".
    >>
    >>A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
    >>cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
    >>process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
    >>understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
    >>stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final authority
    >>in what registry changes are performed whether you do it manually or
    >>with a utility. If YOU do not understand the proposed change (which
    >>requires the product actually divulge the proposed change before
    >>committing that change), how will you know whether or not to allow that
    >>change?

    >
    > That's IF you don't know what you're doing.
    > I use FixIt Utilities and it works wonders for cleaning up a screwed
    > up registry.


    Which is why the rant is prefaced with "Why the UNEDUCATED should never
    use registry cleaners". However, no matter what level of claimed
    expertise regarding the registry, you need a backup to restore the
    partition to its state before you started mucking around in the
    registry. I've seen (and had to recover) hosts that became unbootable
    because programmers much more familiar with the registry screwed it up.
     
    VanguardLH, May 4, 2009
    #7
  8. Andy Petro

    VanguardLH Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > On Mon, 4 May 2009 15:19:03 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lookout wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:48:42 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Andy Petro wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?
    >>>>
    >>>>You feel compelled for something you can get for free?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Why the uneducated should never use registry cleaners
    >>>>
    >>>>Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
    >>>>registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer boot
    >>>>into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition so it
    >>>>is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that provides for
    >>>>backups of its changes so you can revert back to the prior state, how
    >>>>are you going to perform that restore if you cannot boot the OS after
    >>>>hosing over its registry? What about entries in the registry that look
    >>>>to be orphaned under the current OS load instance but are used under a
    >>>>different OS environment? You delete what looks orphaned only to find
    >>>>out that they are required under a different environment.
    >>>>
    >>>>Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
    >>>>registry, like 4MB. By deleting the orphaned entries, you would speed
    >>>>up how long it takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts
    >>>>up - by all of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying
    >>>>the registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows
    >>>>startup. Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB,
    >>>>or less. They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time.
    >>>>Since the registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since
    >>>>memory is random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the
    >>>>registry (in memory) from the another byte in the registry (also in
    >>>>memory). The extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on
    >>>>the time to retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.
    >>>>
    >>>>Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
    >>>>memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
    >>>>files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
    >>>>probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
    >>>>inconsequential changes to its registry? The same boobs that get
    >>>>suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that get
    >>>>suckered into the memory defragment "tools".
    >>>>
    >>>>A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
    >>>>cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
    >>>>process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
    >>>>understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
    >>>>stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final authority
    >>>>in what registry changes are performed whether you do it manually or
    >>>>with a utility. If YOU do not understand the proposed change (which
    >>>>requires the product actually divulge the proposed change before
    >>>>committing that change), how will you know whether or not to allow that
    >>>>change?
    >>>
    >>> That's IF you don't know what you're doing.
    >>> I use FixIt Utilities and it works wonders for cleaning up a screwed
    >>> up registry.

    >>
    >>Which is why the rant is prefaced with "Why the UNEDUCATED should never
    >>use registry cleaners". However, no matter what level of claimed
    >>expertise regarding the registry, you need a backup to restore the
    >>partition to its state before you started mucking around in the
    >>registry. I've seen (and had to recover) hosts that became unbootable
    >>because programmers much more familiar with the registry screwed it up.

    >
    > The first option on FixIt is a back up.


    But is that "backup" only usable by the utility itself? If it is a
    program-centric backup then just how are you going to run it when the OS
    won't boot because the registry got screwed up? Do they provide a
    bootable rescue disc that you can use to boot and then read whatever
    file format is used on the OS partition to restore the registry (which
    cannot be incremental because the OS isn't running so you have to
    replace all the registry's .dat files)? From what I've seen of
    utilities that provide "backups", they are worthless when the OS won't
    boot.
     
    VanguardLH, May 4, 2009
    #8
  9. Andy Petro

    VanguardLH Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > On Mon, 4 May 2009 15:48:38 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Lookout wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 4 May 2009 15:19:03 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Lookout wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:48:42 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>Andy Petro wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>You feel compelled for something you can get for free?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Why the uneducated should never use registry cleaners
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
    >>>>>>registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer boot
    >>>>>>into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition so it
    >>>>>>is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that provides for
    >>>>>>backups of its changes so you can revert back to the prior state, how
    >>>>>>are you going to perform that restore if you cannot boot the OS after
    >>>>>>hosing over its registry? What about entries in the registry that look
    >>>>>>to be orphaned under the current OS load instance but are used under a
    >>>>>>different OS environment? You delete what looks orphaned only to find
    >>>>>>out that they are required under a different environment.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
    >>>>>>registry, like 4MB. By deleting the orphaned entries, you would speed
    >>>>>>up how long it takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts
    >>>>>>up - by all of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying
    >>>>>>the registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows
    >>>>>>startup. Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB,
    >>>>>>or less. They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time.
    >>>>>>Since the registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since
    >>>>>>memory is random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the
    >>>>>>registry (in memory) from the another byte in the registry (also in
    >>>>>>memory). The extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on
    >>>>>>the time to retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
    >>>>>>memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
    >>>>>>files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
    >>>>>>probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
    >>>>>>inconsequential changes to its registry? The same boobs that get
    >>>>>>suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that get
    >>>>>>suckered into the memory defragment "tools".
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
    >>>>>>cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
    >>>>>>process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
    >>>>>>understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
    >>>>>>stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final authority
    >>>>>>in what registry changes are performed whether you do it manually or
    >>>>>>with a utility. If YOU do not understand the proposed change (which
    >>>>>>requires the product actually divulge the proposed change before
    >>>>>>committing that change), how will you know whether or not to allow that
    >>>>>>change?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That's IF you don't know what you're doing.
    >>>>> I use FixIt Utilities and it works wonders for cleaning up a screwed
    >>>>> up registry.
    >>>>
    >>>>Which is why the rant is prefaced with "Why the UNEDUCATED should never
    >>>>use registry cleaners". However, no matter what level of claimed
    >>>>expertise regarding the registry, you need a backup to restore the
    >>>>partition to its state before you started mucking around in the
    >>>>registry. I've seen (and had to recover) hosts that became unbootable
    >>>>because programmers much more familiar with the registry screwed it up.
    >>>
    >>> The first option on FixIt is a back up.

    >>
    >>But is that "backup" only usable by the utility itself? If it is a
    >>program-centric backup then just how are you going to run it when the OS
    >>won't boot because the registry got screwed up? Do they provide a
    >>bootable rescue disc that you can use to boot and then read whatever
    >>file format is used on the OS partition to restore the registry (which
    >>cannot be incremental because the OS isn't running so you have to
    >>replace all the registry's .dat files)?

    >
    > Yes.
    > The way you're talking Windows has been erased. Stop being so
    > melodramatic. 99% of the time it's a minor problem that a back up can
    > fix.
    >
    >>From what I've seen of
    >>utilities that provide "backups", they are worthless when the OS won't
    >>boot.


    No, nothing to do with "Windows being erased". Everything to do with
    corrupting the registry so that Windows won't even boot. It's there
    (and NOT erased) but won't load. Sometimes the "Last known good config"
    will work on a reboot but not always. You obviously haven't had to deal
    with many users that believe they know how to edit the registry and then
    call to have their host reimaged because Windows won't load anymore and
    no expert can figure out how to resuscitate it.

    If you perform backups before editing the registry, they should be of
    the type where you can use bootable media to restore the registry's .dat
    files or restore an image of the partition. If Windows won't load (and,
    again, nothing to do with it being "erased"), you won't be able to run
    that registry cleaner to restore its special backup. Instead of
    thinking of it as a backup, think more of it being an Undo function -
    and Undo doesn't always work to get you back to the same prior state.
     
    VanguardLH, May 5, 2009
    #9
  10. Andy Petro

    Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:
    > Is PC . Tools Registry Mechanic worth the cost ?


    Unless you install and remove a lot of programs the system should stay
    stable and registry should stay working right.
    People tend to overuse helper apps. Registry cleaners, I call them
    registry mutialtors.

    CCleaner has a registry cleaner I think, and it's free. Made my system
    unusable but that was some years ago.

    The best move any user could make is learning to reinstall windows, an
    hour of time all updates and programs will be reinstalled. That and
    have a partition for data that won't be touched in the even of a need
    for a reinstall.
     
    , May 5, 2009
    #10
  11. Andy Petro

    Guest

    On May 3, 7:30 pm, "Andy Petro" <> wrote:
    > Is PC . Tools  RegistryMechanic worth the cost ?


    There are so many options out there including:

    <a href="http://4987fcocuivezrbxxgwtgelkf8.hop.clickbank.net/"
    target="_top">Driver Robot</a>
    <a href="http://9f26benorlv8wx6ebbmlyopz5n.hop.clickbank.net/"
    target="_top">Perfect Optimizer</a>
    <a href="http://97901bahgj7hts6dq2r2iwfs3z.hop.clickbank.net/"
    target="_top">RegDefense</a>
    <a href="http://711a8fjnqkzf2k2hk5p51qdwcg.hop.clickbank.net/"
    target="_top">Registry Fix</a>
    and
    <a href="http://4d9ba7noub7jsmbifbtgazdwbh.hop.clickbank.net/"
    target="_top">Registry Easy</a>

    be sure to shop around if your looking for a serious Registry Cleaner

    James
     
    , May 16, 2009
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Linda

    Registry Mechanic

    Linda, Oct 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    903
    °Mike°
    Oct 12, 2004
  2. joe
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,473
  3. Adriano

    System Mechanic or System Mechanic Pro?

    Adriano, Sep 21, 2003, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    927
    Adriano
    Sep 21, 2003
  4. thedarkman

    problem with Registry Mechanic

    thedarkman, Mar 2, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    580
  5. thedarkman

    problem with Registry Mechanic

    thedarkman, Mar 2, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    583
Loading...

Share This Page