Registry losing Hardware

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by BillCanoes16, May 14, 2009.

  1. BillCanoes16

    BillCanoes16 Guest

    Running Windows XP SP2 on an older IBM Thinkpad...

    Progressively over time, my the operating system is unable to locate
    hardware. First it was my iPod (was able to fix that by finding an online
    solution that provided registry information), then it "lost" my wireless
    PCMCIA wifi card (though the software for the card indicates a "strong"
    signal), then my digital camera was unrecognized, followed by my scanner
    (though the printer, part of the same machine works fine. For now), and most
    recently, the corded internet connection can't be found (though the
    router/modem works fine--I have been using my Work computer at home)

    All of this seems like registry based issues. I would go into the registry
    to make sure everything is being directed properly, but I don't know what to
    call all these various ports and such. It was easy with the iPod because I
    just needed to enter the drive ("G:"), but I have no idea about the rest.

    I will go to extremes to fix this! I tried "System Restore" but that didn't
    work.

    Any suggestions appreciated! As of now, I am unable to download any
    software to that computer...and the "Work" computer is a Mac, so I'm not sure
    if I could put any down loads on a thumbdrive and transfer from one computer
    to another....
    BillCanoes16, May 14, 2009