Registry Keys

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vic, Nov 5, 2005.

  1. Vic

    Vic Guest

    Good idea, I ran the Norton Windoctor and it said that it found a few
    ActiveX errors (30 or so) and it said that it fixed them all. I "let me
    choose" option on fixing so I could watch each one and none of them delt
    anything with any norton product that I could recognize.
    Thanks for the good try.
    Vic
    run windoctor from disk so it will check the reg maybe that will work

    Vic, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Vic

    docmill Guest

    "Vic" <> wrote in

    > Good idea, I ran the Norton Windoctor and it said that it found a few
    > ActiveX errors (30 or so) and it said that it fixed them all. I "let
    > me choose" option on fixing so I could watch each one and none of them
    > delt anything with any norton product that I could recognize.
    > Thanks for the good try.
    > Vic
    > run windoctor from disk so it will check the reg maybe that will work
    > "Vic" <> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 on a Windows XP Home
    >>w/SP2 and
    >> it gives me an error 1402 that it cannot open a key in the
    >> HKLM\software\interfaces\ ... I used the regedit to look at the key
    >> and it tells me that I do not have permission to view or delete it. I
    >> have tried to
    >> reset the permissions to allow the system full control and even tried
    >> to allow the everyone group full control and I still receive a
    >> message that I don't have access. It only has one user and is a
    >> member of the administrators group. But thinking maybe the profile or
    >> something with that
    >> user I have created a new user called "Bob" and he is also an
    >> administrator
    >> and got the same result. I also tried going into safe mode and
    >> logging in as
    >> the Administrator and still got the same result. Any ideas on how to
    >> delete
    >> these keys so I try reinstalling the Norton AntiVirus?
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >> Vic

    If 2 kegs of dynamite or beer won't help....................
    could be the icemaker

    4. Navigate to the parent of the key referenced in the error message. For
    example, for the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{CA8A9783-
    280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}, open (double-click) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >
    SOFTWARE > Classes > TypeLib.

    Note: These steps may vary slightly depending on the path in the error
    message

    5. Right-click on the parent key and select Permissions.

    6. In the Permissions dialog box, click Advanced.

    7. Select both "Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to
    child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here" and
    "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here
    that apply to child objects," and click OK.

    8. Click OK in the Permissions dialog box. Windows will now reset the
    permissions for each child object to correspond with its parent.

    --
    Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"
    docmill, Nov 5, 2005