    32 bit.

    --
    Hugh
    Kue2, Sep 2, 2005

  2. The 64-bit registry structure is different from the 32-bit registry.
    32-bit cleaners don't understand what they are looking at.

    This has been dealt with before: see "Win XP x64 and Registry Cleaners" from
    about 15th August below.
    Dominic Payer, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Kue2 wrote:
    > ran this program in xp 64 bit. Big mistake, it wipe out my desktop when I
    > rebooted. I came to a desktop with no start tool bar.when i finally got
    > desktop up only had classic mode available. I had to reinstall to fix this
    > situation. Anyone else experience this in winxxp 64?Always worked fine in xp
    > 32 bit.

    Considering that there's no such thing as a "safe" registry cleaner
    for 32-bit versions of WinXP, I can't imagine how you'd think they might
    be OK to use on the 64-bit version.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Bruce
    Thanks for your opinions on reg cleaners. I loaded that programs to test
    compatiabilty with 64xp. As I am still running the evalution copy & finding
    which of my programs will function in winxp64 ,so when I install the full
    version I will know which of my programs won't-will work thus saving me many
    re-installs. I have found one reg cleaner that works flawlessly in all win
    os so far that being

    RegCleaner version 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio http://www.jv16.org/

    If I damage the os it is only the Trial version Build 3790. If my test of
    programs saves someone else from loading & trying a 32 program it well worth
    it. I have a little experience at loading systems & getting out of trouble.
    I cut my teeth on OS2 Warp back in 92. A great muti-tasking system.

    Thanks for all your information.

    Kue2, Sep 2, 2005