    would have to pay and download it . I think I have some registry problems
    but could they not be fixed by using the Win XP operating system disk in the
    repair portion.
    Andy Petro, Jul 18, 2009

  2. Andy Petro

    G. Morgan Guest

    nobody > wrote:

    >There is no program that can be guaranteed to "fix" all registry errors.
    >Some people here will say that no registry cleaner program is good.
    >
    >Having said that, I've used RM and Norton "registry repair" utilities in
    >the past, but find that CCleaner (*free*, http://www.ccleaner.com/)
    >works just as well. *DO* make a registry backup before using it.

    IAWTP
    G. Morgan, Jul 18, 2009

  3. Andy Petro

    VanguardLH Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:

    > Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.
    > Every time I try one it finds about 50 to 100 errors but to fix them I
    > would have to pay and download it . I think I have some registry problems
    > but could they not be fixed by using the Win XP operating system disk in the
    > repair portion.

    Why the uneducated should never use registry cleaners

    Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
    registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer boot
    into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition so it
    is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that provides for
    backups of its changes so you can revert back to the prior state, how
    are you going to perform that restore if you cannot boot the OS after
    hosing over its registry? What about entries in the registry that look
    to be orphaned under the current OS load instance but are used under a
    different OS environment? You delete what looks orphaned only to find
    out that they are required under a different environment.

    Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
    registry, like 4MB. By deleting the orphaned entries, you would speed
    up how long it takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts
    up - by all of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying
    the registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows
    startup. Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB,
    or less. They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time.
    Since the registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since
    memory is random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the
    registry (in memory) from the another byte in the registry (also in
    memory). The extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on
    the time to retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.

    Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
    memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
    files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
    probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
    inconsequential changes to its registry? The same boobs that get
    suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that get
    suckered into the memory defragment "tools".

    A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
    cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
    process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
    understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
    stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final authority
    in what registry changes are performed whether you do it manually or
    with a utility. If YOU do not understand the proposed change (which
    requires the product actually divulge the proposed change before
    committing that change), how will you know whether or not to allow that
    change?
    VanguardLH, Jul 18, 2009
  4. Hello,

    Opinions vary. There was a recent discussion thread on this in the xp
    general newsgroup.
    See
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr..._frm/thread/fc7c7def5a226dc2/33c8e792e64d11dd

    We recommend staying away from registry cleaners. If you want a clean
    registry, clean install XP.
    --
    Regards,
    Singapore Computer Home Repair Service

    Singapore Computer Service, Jul 18, 2009
  5. Andy Petro

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jul 18, 2009
  6. Andy Petro

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:32:52 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:34:57 -0400, "Andy Petro"
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.

    > Nyet.

    I wish I was a polyglot.
    Aardvark, Jul 18, 2009
  7. Andy Petro <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<h3r5n6$qc4$-september.org>:

    > Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth

    using.
    > Every time I try one it finds about 50 to 100 errors but to fix

    them I
    > would have to pay and download it . I think I have some registry

    problems
    > but could they not be fixed by using the Win XP operating system disk

    in the
    > repair portion.

    Regedit is free...comes with your copy of micro$uck.

    FYI
    HTH

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 18, 2009
  8. In message <_sk8m.7973$2>, Aardvark wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:32:52 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:34:57 -0400, "Andy Petro"
    > > <>wrote:
    > >
    > >>Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.

    > > Nyet.

    > I wish I was a polyglot.

    Polyglot want a cracker?

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 18, 2009
  9. If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

    PA Bear [MS-MVP], Jul 20, 2009