    to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting progressively slower in
    the past year?

    Thanks (in anticipation).
    Tony Black, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Tony Black

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:40:03 +0000, Tony Black Has Frothed:

    > What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they claim
    > to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting progressively slower in
    > the past year?
    >
    > Thanks (in anticipation).

    Cleansing the registry typically makes little to no difference in the
    speed your PC operates. Things like malware and background
    applications/processes using up real memory will slow you down. Same goes
    with a severely fragmented hard drive.

    Defrag your drive.
    Keep your login processes to a minimum.
    Check for spy/malware.

    Some decent free tools

    Hijackthis
    Process Explorer
    Autoruns

    You can streamline your login with these and speed things up.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Jan 26, 2007

  3. Tony Black

    Daave Guest

    Tony Black wrote:
    > What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they
    > claim to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting
    > progressively slower in the past year?

    In the hands of someone who is unfamiliar with how the registry works,
    they can actually do more harm than good. And even if no harm comes,
    chances are an improvement in speed won't be realized.

    In order to speed up your computer's performance, you need to do the
    following:

    * make sure your PC is free of malware (viruses, spyware, etc.)
    * delete all temp and TIF files
    * defrag the hard drive
    * have a minimum number of programs/processes running in the background

    You can find detailed instructions/links at

    More RAM might be a good idea. What are the specs of your machine? How
    large is your hard drive and how much free space is on there?

    --
    Dave
    Daave, Jan 26, 2007
  4. "Tony Black" <> wrote in

    > What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they
    > claim to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting progressively
    > slower in the past year?
    >
    > Thanks (in anticipation).

    My latest thinking on registry cleaners ending up with me wondering whether
    the exceptionally beautiful girl I was recently introduced to would have a
    bad opinion of me if I used some coupons to pay for our first date at
    dinner tonight. Thanks for bringing up the subject.

    I'm sort of thinking that hiring the limo might be a bit overboard and
    possibly contradictory in light of the present trend of upscale
    professionals being wary of "mixed signals" in their interpersonal
    communications.

    But then again, you only get one chance to make a first impression. And I
    want her to know it's not the money that's important, but the fornication
    that makes my world go 'round.

    On the registry, try using an older freeware which is incredibly safe and
    stable:

    If the kids in my Sunday School class ask me where the rain comes from,
    I think a funny thing to tell them is "That is because God is crying."

    And then when one of them asks why God is crying,
    an even funnier answer is "Probably because of something *you* did!"
    Bucky Breeder, Jan 26, 2007
  5. Tony Black

    Tony Black Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message
    > Tony Black wrote:
    >> What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they
    >> claim to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting
    >> progressively slower in the past year?

    > In the hands of someone who is unfamiliar with how the registry works,
    > they can actually do more harm than good. And even if no harm comes,
    > chances are an improvement in speed won't be realized.
    >
    > In order to speed up your computer's performance, you need to do the
    > following:
    >
    > * make sure your PC is free of malware (viruses, spyware, etc.)
    > * delete all temp and TIF files
    > * defrag the hard drive
    > * have a minimum number of programs/processes running in the background
    >
    > You can find detailed instructions/links at
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
    >
    > More RAM might be a good idea. What are the specs of your machine? How
    > large is your hard drive and how much free space is on there?
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Thanks for your advice, Dave. Specs: 250GB (nominal) hard drive, 229GB used
    and 56GB free, with 2GB RAM.
    Tony Black, Jan 26, 2007
  6. Tony Black

    Tony Black Guest

    Tony Black, Jan 26, 2007
  7. Tony Black

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:40:03 GMT I never confuse arrogance with
    confidence nor ability with ambition "Tony Black"
    <> sent this :

    >What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they claim
    >to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting progressively slower in
    >the past year?
    >
    >Thanks (in anticipation).

    I've used good free ones for years with no ill effects and they have
    solved problems with bad entries left over from badly written
    un-install programs.All the ones I use make back-ups of what they take
    out so things can be undone if need be,

    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    This one can also compact the registry,

    http://www.mispbo.com/download.htm
    http://www.mispbo.com/regcleaner30.zip

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Jan 26, 2007
  8. Tony Black

    Daave Guest

    Tony Black wrote:
    > "Daave" <> wrote in message
    >> Tony Black wrote:
    >>> What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they
    >>> claim to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting
    >>> progressively slower in the past year?

    >> In the hands of someone who is unfamiliar with how the registry
    >> works, they can actually do more harm than good. And even if no harm
    >> comes, chances are an improvement in speed won't be realized.
    >>
    >> In order to speed up your computer's performance, you need to do the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> * make sure your PC is free of malware (viruses, spyware, etc.)
    >> * delete all temp and TIF files
    >> * defrag the hard drive
    >> * have a minimum number of programs/processes running in the
    >> background
    >>
    >> You can find detailed instructions/links at
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
    >>
    >> More RAM might be a good idea. What are the specs of your machine?
    >> How large is your hard drive and how much free space is on there?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave

    > Thanks for your advice, Dave. Specs: 250GB (nominal) hard drive,
    > 229GB used and 56GB free, with 2GB RAM.

    Looks good. I'd look into increasing your free space. Definitely make
    sure you delete those temp and TIF files!
    Daave, Jan 26, 2007
  9. Tony Black

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Tony - In my experience all of these Reg cleaners, even the best, are
    fraught with danger. I advise against using them except in one specific
    instance, that is when you have one that is capable of doing specific Reg
    searches, and you NEED (not just WANT) to remove the remaining traces of
    something that didn't get uninstalled correctly. (and you didn't have
    foresight enough to install it using Total Uninstall,
    http://www.martau.com/tu.html or direct dwnld here:
    http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=61416, in the first
    place.) (As an aside, there are, however, some third party Registry Editors
    which can be of great help with both the incorrect uninstall and with
    certain malware problems, especially some of theCoolWebSearch types such as
    the AppInit_DLLs variant of the about:blank version of CWS, for example. I
    can recommend Registrar Lite, here:
    http://www.resplendence.com/reglite .)

    There are a couple of specific bugs that can cause abnormal growth in either
    the System or Software hives; however, they are rare, and unless these hives
    in %SystemRoot%\System32\config are very, very large (in the hundreds of
    megabytes), then I would council you to leave your Registry alone except for
    the special circumstances I mentioned above.

    I and most other MVP's that I know believe that Registry modifications of
    any type are probably best done manually, very carefully, with a thorough
    knowledge of what's installed on your machine, and what you're doing, and
    then only when necessary. There's very little (if any!) noticeable benefit
    in either space saving or speed achievable by cleaning out the Registry
    except in those few cases where there's a specific problem the client is
    experiencing (usually uninstall or malware related in my experience) that
    needs to be fixed.

    Lastly, if you must screw around with your Registry, then at least get
    Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do the Reg clean. You'll then have a
    true restore available to you. Read below to see why you might not just
    using the Reg cleaner's restore:

    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/I've set it up to take a
    scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
    Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject.

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt restore.) (BTW, it also
    includes a Registry defragger program). Free, and very, very highly
    recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    FWIW, the second question I ask clients is whether they've recently used a
    Reg Cleaner or tried to restore from one. (The first question I ask is
    whether they've any non-commercial Norton/Symantec software installed.
    ) )

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MVP, DTS, ASVOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine,

    In news:7pouh.578$,
    Tony Black <> typed:
    Jim Byrd, Jan 26, 2007
  10. "Jim Byrd" <> wrote in

    > Hi Tony - In my experience all of these Reg cleaners, even the best, are
    > fraught with danger. I advise against using them except in one specific
    > instance, that is when you have one that is capable of doing specific
    > Reg searches, and you NEED (not just WANT) to remove the remaining
    > traces of something that didn't get uninstalled correctly. (and you
    > didn't have foresight enough to install it using Total Uninstall,
    > http://www.martau.com/tu.html or direct dwnld here:
    > http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=61416, in the
    > first place.) (As an aside, there are, however, some third party
    > Registry Editors which can be of great help with both the incorrect
    > uninstall and with certain malware problems, especially some of
    > theCoolWebSearch types such as the AppInit_DLLs variant of the
    > about:blank version of CWS, for example. I can recommend Registrar
    > Lite, here: http://www.resplendence.com/reglite .)
    >
    > There are a couple of specific bugs that can cause abnormal growth in
    > either the System or Software hives; however, they are rare, and unless
    > these hives in %SystemRoot%\System32\config are very, very large (in the
    > hundreds of megabytes), then I would council you to leave your Registry
    > alone except for the special circumstances I mentioned above.
    >
    > I and most other MVP's that I know believe that Registry modifications
    > of any type are probably best done manually, very carefully, with a
    > thorough knowledge of what's installed on your machine, and what you're
    > doing, and then only when necessary. There's very little (if any!)
    > noticeable benefit in either space saving or speed achievable by
    > cleaning out the Registry except in those few cases where there's a
    > specific problem the client is experiencing (usually uninstall or
    > malware related in my experience) that needs to be fixed.
    >
    > Lastly, if you must screw around with your Registry, then at least get
    > Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do the Reg clean. You'll then have a
    > true restore available to you. Read below to see why you might not just
    > using the Reg cleaner's restore:
    >
    > Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    > http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/I've set it up to take
    > a scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis,
    > and a Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that
    > up: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt, and for
    > some useful information about this subject.

    This is what I use... It's functional too, but most people who have to ask
    bog down in using it, for some reason.

    > This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    > occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case
    > you've done something that won't let you boot any more and need to
    > revert to a previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup
    > disk with NTFS write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way
    > using the Recovery Console to get back to being "bootable" even without
    > separate DOS write NTFS drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt
    > restore.) (BTW, it also includes a Registry defragger program). Free,
    > and very, very highly recommended.
    >
    > FYI, quoting from the above document:
    >
    > "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make
    > a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
    > registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
    > saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
    > registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
    > merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    > old and new registry keys.

    Koo-Koo-Key-Doo! Where'd this guy get his MVP from?
    Probably Sears -- while it was on sale.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

    But what do they phreeking know? They're just on the M$ payroll...

    ROTF-LMAO!

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 26, 2007
  11. Daave wrote:

    > Looks good. I'd look into increasing your free space. Definitely make
    > sure you delete those temp and TIF files!

    And what .tif files are you suggesting he delete? Irreplaceable photos
    of deceased relatives, maybe?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 26, 2007
  12. > Daave wrote:

    >> Looks good. I'd look into increasing your free space. Definitely make
    >> sure you delete those temp and TIF files!

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > And what .tif files are you suggesting he delete? Irreplaceable photos
    > of deceased relatives, maybe?

    TIF = Temporary Internet Files...

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 26, 2007
  13. Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>Daave wrote:
    >>

    >>>Looks good. I'd look into increasing your free space. Definitely make
    >>>sure you delete those temp and TIF files!

    > Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >
    >>And what .tif files are you suggesting he delete? Irreplaceable photos
    >>of deceased relatives, maybe?

    > TIF = Temporary Internet Files...

    Yes, there's a *directory* by that name, but .tif or tagged information
    format files, are graphic images, not temporary files. As always, I may
    be wrong, but I can't find any info on .tif files being temporary
    internet files.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 26, 2007

    > Yes, there's a *directory* by that name, but .tif or tagged information
    > format files, are graphic images, not temporary files. As always, I may
    > be wrong, but I can't find any info on .tif files being temporary
    > internet files.

    http://tinyurl.com/2j7g8s

    Look: he said "TIF files" and that was in what is called a "context"...

    Now, you're on about ".tif" files... Fine. Dig in. Don't learn.

    (Put your hands over your ears and say "NA-NU-NA NU-NA-NA ..."
    until it all just goes away)

    Me? I'm still working on an exit strategy in case that coupon thing
    backfires tonight. Not that I expected any help from any of the a-holes up
    in here... LOL!

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 26, 2007
  15. Bucky Breeder wrote:

    >>>Rôgêr <> wrote in

    >>Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>
    >>>TIF = Temporary Internet Files...

    > Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >
    >>Yes, there's a *directory* by that name, but .tif or tagged information
    >>format files, are graphic images, not temporary files. As always, I may
    >>be wrong, but I can't find any info on .tif files being temporary
    >>internet files.

    > http://tinyurl.com/2j7g8s
    >
    > Look: he said "TIF files" and that was in what is called a "context"...
    >
    > Now, you're on about ".tif" files... Fine. Dig in. Don't learn.

    We both suspect the other of being niggling I think. He *did* say TIF
    files, however the link you supplied wasn't to a search of "TIF files",
    it was a link to a search on "temporary internet files TIF" which of
    course gives different results than a simple search for TIF files.
    Neither you nor I are the typical computer user and I merely thought the
    blanket advice to delete TIF files may be dangerous in the hands of a
    casual user. Either way, no big whoop.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 26, 2007
  16. Tony Black

    ProfGene Guest

    Tony Black wrote:
    > What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they claim
    > to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting progressively slower in
    > the past year?
    >
    > Thanks (in anticipation).

    You might also try defragging your hard drive, and running an
    anti-spyware program.
    ProfGene, Mar 13, 2007
  17. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:58:38 -0600, ProfGene <> wrote:

    >Tony Black wrote:
    >> What's the latest thinking on Registry Cleaners, for doing what they claim
    >> to do, in my case Windows XP, which has been getting progressively slower in
    >> the past year?
    >>
    >> Thanks (in anticipation).
    >>

    >You might also try defragging your hard drive, and running an
    >anti-spyware program.

    Registry Cleaners will not help to 'speed up' Windows. Download and
    run 'Disk Cleaner' (freeware) (Google for site), that will almost
    certainly help.
    Edward W. Thompson, Mar 13, 2007