    --
    Bill, Healdsburg, CA
    Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips
    Baldy, Feb 4, 2008

  2. Baldy

    olfart Guest

    "Baldy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
    > AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
    > HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
    > slower than I'd expect.
    >
    > Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
    > Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a
    > forum that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I
    > read about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this
    > fixes registry issues or ??
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > --
    > Bill, Healdsburg, CA
    > Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

    CCleaner has a Registry cleaner
    olfart, Feb 4, 2008

  3. Baldy

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 05:42:33 -0800, "Baldy" <> wrote:

    >I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
    >AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
    >HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
    >slower than I'd expect.
    >
    >Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
    >Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a forum
    >that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I read
    >about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this fixes
    >registry issues or ??
    >
    >Thanks for any help

    "Hijack This" is the program you're thinking of.

    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

    "Easy cleaner" has been a long time favorite and has an easy to use
    interface. With support from the writer himself.

    Hadn't used it on this vista premium machine so I tried it out. It
    picked up on a lot of M$ stuff that is questionable and would not
    delete the entries. But you can bet Toni's cleaner is by far better
    than most you have to pay for. He's been working on it for over 10
    years.
    richard, Feb 4, 2008
  4. Baldy

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Baldy wrote:
    > I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
    > AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
    > HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
    > slower than I'd expect.
    >
    > Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
    > Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a forum
    > that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I read
    > about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this fixes
    > registry issues or ??

    Thats a fairly large assumption that a registry cleaner will help at
    all. How about you tell us what the spec of your machine is (Be detailed
    in this please) and give us some timings on how long common tasks take
    such as opening your web browser/word processor.
    Desk Rabbit, Feb 4, 2008
  5. Baldy

    Buffalo Guest

    "Baldy" <> wrote in message
    > I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
    > AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
    > HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
    > slower than I'd expect.
    >
    > Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
    > Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a

    forum
    > that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I read
    > about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this fixes
    > registry issues or ??
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > --
    > Bill, Healdsburg, CA
    > Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

    Many real good techs will recommend against using any 'Registry Cleaner'
    because they can easily do more harm than good.
    I have used Toni's EasyCleaner,RegSeeker and CCleaner (CrapCleaner) with
    good results.
    They all have back-up features, but if you're computer won't boot, this
    feature becomes nil.
    So, be sure to be knowledgeable about how to boot up in the above scenerio
    and to reinstall the removed registry entries.

    However, I don't really believe that they will help speed up your computer
    noticeably.

    Try the free version of SuperAntiSpyware (superantispyware.com), get the
    latest definitions and see what it comes up with.
    The free version will clean just as well as the paid version , but it is an
    on-demand scanner only in the free version.
    I use the paid version and I am very happy with it.

    Please report back with what works for you.

    Not sure what OS you are using, but you may have unnecessary programs
    running all the time.
    Task Manager or some other free program may help pinpoint what is using your
    memory and cpu.
    HiJackThis is what was mentioned in another thread and can be an excellent
    diagnostic tool.
    Buffalo, Feb 4, 2008
  6. Baldy

    old man Guest

    Without knowing what o/s you are using, the spec of your PC & what you think
    is slow its all a stab in the dark

    old man, Feb 4, 2008
  7. Baldy

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Baldy" wrote in message news:...
    > I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
    > AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix
    > and ran HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems
    > to be running slower than I'd expect.
    >
    > Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non
    > techie? Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes
    > and has a forum that one can post the log to for cleaning
    > suggestions? Seems like I read about a hijacking program a few
    > years ago but don't know if this fixes registry issues or ??

    Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
    registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer
    boot into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition
    so it is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that
    provides for backups of its changes so you can revert back to the
    prior state, how are you going to perform that restore if you cannot
    boot the OS after hosing over its registry? What about entries in the
    registry that look to be orphaned under the current OS load instance
    but are used under a different OS environment? You delete what looks
    orphaned only to find out that they are required under a different
    environment.

    Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
    registry, like 4MB. By deleting it, you would speed up how long it
    takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts up - by all
    of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying the
    registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows startup.
    Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB, or less.
    They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time. Since the
    registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since memory is
    random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the registry
    (in memory) from the another byte in the registry (in memory). The
    extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on the time to
    retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.

    Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
    memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
    files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
    probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
    inconsequential changes to its registry. The same boobs that get
    suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that
    get suckered into the memory defragment "tools".

    A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
    cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
    process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
    understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
    stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final
    authority in what registry changes are performed whether you do it
    manually or with a utility.
    VanguardLH, Feb 5, 2008
  8. Baldy

    Baldy Guest

    Thanks all.. I'm using Win XP Pro.. with the latest updates.

    I think I'll take the general concensus of what I read.. leave it as is and
    just continue using the current tools..

    I'll look into the "superantispyware"

    Thanks again..

    Bill

    Baldy, Feb 5, 2008
  10. Baldy

    chuckcar Guest

    "Baldy" <> wrote in

    > Thanks all.. I'm using Win XP Pro.. with the latest updates.
    >
    > I think I'll take the general concensus of what I read.. leave it as
    > is and just continue using the current tools..
    >
    > I'll look into the "superantispyware"
    >
    > Thanks again..
    >
    > Bill

    I quickly scanned your replies and didn't see any real fixes per se. Try
    disabling your startup and see if that helps. Generally that is the most
    common cause (in any windows since 95).

    start->run msconfig<enter>

    uncheck startup
    <apply>
    yes to restart. When it comes back it will ask you if you want to undo
    what you just did, say *no* (a minor stupidity in XP). If this speeds up
    your system (as it will), you will want to re-enable your anti-virus
    software. *only* the scanning part, you don't need to have the update
    running continously as it only happens weekly at most right?.

    same as above up to <enter>

    then click on the *tab* marked startup and check the aforementioned
    lines. You will have to sort them out for yourself. Then <apply>, yes
    and *again* no to the undo on reboot and checkmark to not ask.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Feb 5, 2008