    was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
    TIA
    bob
    bb, Nov 17, 2006

  2. bb

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:37:35 +0000, bb Has Frothed:

    > I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
    > download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
    > thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
    > pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have WinXP.
    > Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured it
    > was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
    > TIA
    > bob

    Most of the time you don't need it. However, Registry Mechanic is
    probably the best. It will optimize your registry or so they say with an
    option to undo it. And that popup you got is bullshit, never trust
    anything even though it appeared to come from M$.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 17, 2006

  3. bb

    bb Guest

    Thanks for your reply and confirmation that I did the correct thing by
    ignoring the pop up. Where do I find Registry Mechanic? Just Google for
    it? My email does take much longer recently to download regular messages.
    I have Sprint DSL; feels like dial up lately.

    bb, Nov 17, 2006
  4. bb

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:56:48 +0000, bb Has Frothed:

    > Thanks for your reply and confirmation that I did the correct thing by
    > ignoring the pop up. Where do I find Registry Mechanic? Just Google for
    > it? My email does take much longer recently to download regular messages.
    > I have Sprint DSL; feels like dial up lately.

    http://www.pctools.com/

    It will show you what needs to be done but you have to buy it to save the
    changes.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 17, 2006
  5. bb

    beenthere Guest

    "bb" <> wrote in message
    >I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
    >download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
    >thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
    >pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have WinXP.
    >Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured it
    >was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
    > TIA
    > bob

    One of the best `cleaners` you can use is CCleaner.
    However, it`s worth learning to use it properly.
    ie. Untick everything, Only tick what you want it to clean !.
    And when you go to Issues, make sure you Save, before
    you clean any Registry entries.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

    bw..OJ
    beenthere, Nov 17, 2006
  6. bb wrote:

    > I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
    > download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
    > thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
    > pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have
    > WinXP. Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but
    > figured it
    > was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

    You need adaware or spybot s&d, and a good online scan (housecall or
    something like that). You may want a hardware firewall (NAT router without
    opening extra ports or "dmz") as well, or at least set your windows xp
    firewall to strict settings, no exemptions, for a while.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 17, 2006
  7. bb

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:23:20 GMT, "beenthere" <> wrote:

    >"bb" <> wrote in message
    >>I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
    >>download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
    >>thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
    >>pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have WinXP.
    >>Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured it
    >>was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
    >> TIA
    >> bob

    >One of the best `cleaners` you can use is CCleaner.
    >However, it`s worth learning to use it properly.
    >ie. Untick everything, Only tick what you want it to clean !.
    >And when you go to Issues, make sure you Save, before
    >you clean any Registry entries.
    >http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

    That's good advice, particularly in light of CrapCleaner's propensity to flag
    loads of valid file extensions as "unused".
    --

    "If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
    cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

    - Nick DiPaolo
    Spuds, Nov 17, 2006
  8. bb

    Guest Guest

    'Ad aware' and 'spybot search and destroy' come with my personal stamp of
    approval, having cleared enough nasties off my system, time and time again!
    I thought everyone would have recommended these 2 straight away actually. -
    Good luck.
    Guest, Nov 18, 2006
  9. bb

    bb Guest

    I appreciate your kind suggestion so much. I did just that...installed and
    ran Ad Aware. Hope it does the trick of speeding me up a bit. I had 71
    nasties hiding in my files!

    bb, Nov 18, 2006
  10. bb

    optikl Guest