Registry Cleaner x64 compatible and freeware

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Hi Charlie:
    I certainly do respect your opinion.
    I have been using registry cleaners for a long time and consider them as fat
    and bad cholesterol reducers.
    Applications usually leave registry entries (fat) and references to non
    existent dll's (bad cholesterol) when uninstalled.
    Registry cleaners help keeping your registry skinny.
    Don't really know if being skinny here is beneficial or not but I have this
    thing for crappy registry entries.
    I have always been on the safe side using MS Regclean but haven't seen an
    x64 update so I don't use it any longer.
    I used this freeware yesterday in order to remove loose registry entries
    from a non-successful uninstall of Nero (the darned thing wouldn't
    uninstall!).
    No problems so far.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 28, 2006
  4. If I want something removed, I use regedit. I want to see what's happening
    and control it. And I'm not convinced that cleaning it under ordinary
    circumstances does any good at all. And the risks of it doing something bad
    are signficicant.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Ain't no way to convince good ol' Charlie.
    :)
    I knew I had lost this battle from the very beginning.
    Carlos (the other Charlie)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 29, 2006
  6. Oh, you can convince me. But you need to marshal your forces and your
    arguments. ;)

    After all, Nvidia convinced me never to buy their stuff again. (wasn't my
    position when x64 shipped.)

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 29, 2006
  7. NVidia vs ATI might start another battle.
    I'd rather take a break for the weekend.
    :)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 29, 2006
  8. Indeed. Enjoy your weekend, then. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 29, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Graham Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > If I want something removed, I use regedit. I want to see what's happening
    > and control it. And I'm not convinced that cleaning it under ordinary
    > circumstances does any good at all. And the risks of it doing something bad
    > are signficicant.

    I also like to see what's happening. I find that the registry cleaner
    that Carlos suggested (and some others) are useful for *finding*
    potential problems. From that point, you make your own mind up whether
    to say "yes to everything" or select which ones you are going to let it
    do. In RegCleaner first step after a scan is "deselect all", then start
    selecting everything I want fixed.

    Even the ultra-mild (aka largely useless) Win Doctor from Symantec is
    capable of doing nasty things, in particular re-wiring things
    disconnected by a drive letter change to entirely the wrong thing. So, I
    agree with your sentiments, but still find a use for these kinds of tools.

    Graham.
    Graham, May 1, 2006
  10. CCleaner aka Crap Cleaner also works under x64 is very frequently updated and
    tells you exactly what it's going to do before it does it. It's donateware,
    i.e. he gives you the full version and asks for $20.00 via paypal. I like it
    a lot, it cleans off temp files, old downloads and browser temps etc. It can
    also remove stuff from auto startup and uninstall programs. I like it alot
    will be sending him his donation when I get paid next week.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VlIGluIEZsb3JpZGE=?=, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Sue in Florida wrote:
    > CCleaner aka Crap Cleaner also works under x64 is very frequently updated and
    > tells you exactly what it's going to do before it does it.

    It's also a great source of false alarms. I tried the latest
    version on a brand-new OS installation (WinXPx64) with no additional
    applications installed, and CCleaner still managed to "find" over a
    hundred allegedly orphaned registry entries and dozens of purportedly
    "suspicious" files.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: