Registry cleaner for Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nalanirak, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. nalanirak

    nalanirak Guest

    I am using Vista Home Premium and have tried various registry cleaner, all of
    which have problems with the system. In trying to find a solution, I have
    read various discussions with regard to which is the best registry cleaner or
    wether to actually use one or not, and there doesn't any seem to be any
    answer that cannot be disputed in one way or another.
    Is it not time that Microsoft made a statment as to wether a registry
    cleaner should be used and if so which one. I'm sure there are lots of people
    out there doing damage to their systems and as a result Vista as an OS is
    getting the blame.
    Maybe Microsoft should produce one for their own system!

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...ec3&dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    nalanirak, Jan 23, 2008

  2. nalanirak

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    It is the general consensus of the regulars in this NG that it is better to
    stay away from registry cleaners.
    There is no evidence that they do any good and its effects are more of a
    placebo than real improvements in performance.
    I was once a believer in registry cleaners but "I saw the light" and
    converted.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 23, 2008

  3. For a long time now, here in this group, it has been the somewhat general
    concensus that these cleaners are up to no good. The Registry is a sensitive
    component of the system - ask yourself if you want an automated routine to
    run through it and possibly creat havoc while in there?

    If you have trouble with the Reg the best thing to do will probably be to
    read up on the involved mystifications, sniff out the troublemaker and
    uninstall it and clean out your own system manually, it is much faster than
    cleaning up after a Reg Cleaner that you don't know what it has been doing,
    nor where it has been doing it!

    In my opinion, the Reg is enormously large as it is - even a healthy system
    will be full of old and non-important scraps of leftovers, if you remove
    them all it will hardly reduce it's size at all. The rest is down to
    yourself, and to be aware of what you are installing and to evaluate each
    installation before you install the next thing.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 23, 2008
  4. nalanirak

    The Sizzler Guest

    I STRONGLY DISAGREE with this suggestion, and apparently you have posted it
    to the WRONG group. This is for 64-bit Vista, not 32-bit.

    The Sizzler, Jan 23, 2008
  5. I use CCleaner with my 64 bit Vista my X86 XP and I don't have any issues.
    For a year so far.

    --
    Lance Frca {497083/1008563} MVP Shell/User
    www.zardoc.com

    Lance Le Claire, Jan 23, 2008
  6. nalanirak

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Does anyone know of an online tutorial or other source for learning all
    about the registry?

    Ken Triebold, Jan 23, 2008
  7. This is sort of a black art - those who know tend to want to publish a book,
    I think. There are bits and pieces all over the internet, but no actual
    tutorial that I know of.

    I also would like to know plenty more on the subject,

    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Registry/registry_hacks_reg.htm

    and

    http://www.blackviper.com/

    could be good places to start. Though, tutorials they're not.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 23, 2008
  8. nalanirak

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ken.

    Once upon a time, back when the Registry was a new idea, I wanted to learn
    about it, so I bought a book: The Windows 95 Registry; A Survival Guide
    for Users, by John Woram, 350 pages including the Index. Years later, I
    bought another book: Mastering Windows 2000 Registry, by Peter D. Hipson,
    725 pages, including Index. Since then, I haven't bought any more Registry
    books.

    Even after reading as much of those books as I could - they are VERY DENSE -
    I could never really "get my head around" the idea of the Registry. I'm an
    accountant, not a techie, and the Registry was designed by techies for
    techies, I think.

    What little I've learned about the Registry has come mostly by cut'n'paste
    and trial-and-error using RegEdit. I've learned that it is massive, and it
    is complex. Most of the pieces are simple, but there are SO MANY pieces!
    Before you start editing, be sure you are as smart as a rabbit and always
    have a back door so that you can escape if you find yourself in big trouble.

    Even something as seemingly simple as editing the Sigs that I used in
    WinXP/OE6 so that I could use them in Vista/WM was a confusing adventure.
    Soon I couldn't open WM at all and had to undo what I had done and start
    over. I wound up recreating the Sigs from inside WM, then I learned more
    about the change in structure of WM from OE - but I've forgotten what I
    learned and would have to study it and learn it again if I wanted to update
    it. It's a good thing that I've Exported a few Keys so that I can Import or
    Merge those if I goof it up again.

    No, I don't know of a good tutorial on the Registry. I do know that there
    are plenty of (BIG) books out there, plus plenty of online information,
    especially in MSDN and TechNet sources.

    I heartily agree with the oft-expressed advice to stay away from Registry
    cleaners! Once upon a time, I used them, but I haven't touched one in years
    and don't expect to use one again. Their potential for harm is much more
    than any possible benefit.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 23, 2008
  9. The problem with what you are seeking is that the registry is not an
    application. It is a database. There are good introductions to the
    registry in books but I haven't seen a book devoted to the registry since
    Mastering Windows 2000 Registry came out years ago.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 23, 2008
  10. Well written, RC. I wish I had the talent to put so many of the essentials
    (such as I appreciate them) into such compact language.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 23, 2008
  11. nalanirak

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    Thanks for the compliment. I don't usually get good marks for "compact
    language". :^}

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 23, 2008
  12. ah, Carlos, you make me proud. :D

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008
  13. nalanirak

    Carlos Guest

    I may seem stubborn sometimes but, in the end, I know that Charlie-San is
    usually right.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 24, 2008
  14. I also gave up on registry cleaners 2 years ago. But last year I had heard
    of CCleaner and it's ability to clean registry without deleting MOST vital
    keys.

    The thing is that first if you want to try to use registry cleaner, try to
    know how to read registry keys.

    Second, the program offers the possibility to save registry before deleting
    (supposed useless keys)

    Third if you really are insecure, do like I do and Use a backup image of
    your hard drive with programs like Acronis.

    I use WinPro 2000 and I didn't know that it uses Crystal software and a
    printing driver. I had saved the registry for a while and when I used my
    program, I noticed it didn't respond anymore, so I reinstalled deleted keys.
    All worked fine again. I read the registry keys and noticed the Crystal
    keys. I deleted everything again and tried my Win Pro. Worked fine except
    for printing. I restored the registry again and then tried printing. Worked
    fine.

    So, again I found the registry key before cleaning and kept it. Now
    everything works fine. I save 5 keys before deleting sometimes an average of
    50 to 70 keys in new full installs. after it's about an average of 10 to 20
    keys that are easily recognizable.
    --
    Lance Frca {497083/1008563} MVP Shell/User
    www.zardoc.com
    XP-Vista Trucs et Astuces et autres

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> a secret dams le
    message de news:...

    Lance Le Claire, Jan 24, 2008
  15. As I've said many, many times here. This is a bad solution to a problem that
    isn't. Your registry doesn't need cleaning, and if there IS something that
    needs removing, you'd darn well better be doing it yourself. Generic
    registry cleaners are just a bad idea.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008
  16. hardly. But I'm pretty confident on this one. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008
  17. nalanirak

    David F Guest

    What about the Microsoft Product offered for free online?
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm

    It is still in beta and actually doesn't finish on my Vista Business 64
    system (it hangs at 99%), but in general this should be promising, No?

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    David F, Jan 24, 2008
  18. No. Not on a bet, not under any circumstances.

    And just ONE of the many reasons I don't like and won't install OneCare.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008
  19. nalanirak

    Jane C Guest

    Ugh .... Windows Undead NoCare <eg>

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Jan 24, 2008
  20. nalanirak

    Jane C Guest

    I have CCleaner, but I don't use the registry cleaning function. It's quite
    amazing how many complete non-issues it manages to find.

    If it aint broke, don't fix it, when it comes to anything in the registry.
    ;)

    Jane C, Jan 24, 2008