    thanks

    Rohitpad
    , Nov 26, 2005

  2. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hi
    |>
    |>Every time I boot my PC, before windows loads, I get a blue screen
    |>which says
    |>
    |>"Microsoft Registry Checker" and below that it says
    |>
    |>Repairing C:\Windows\System.dat
    |>
    |>Then it there is a tick mark next to "Looking for valid system registry
    |>keys" and "checking system registry structure" and then after a while
    |>(while it counts upto 100%), there is a tick mark next to "Rebuilding
    |>system registry".
    |>
    |>After this is over, Windows 98 loads just fine and I'm able to run my
    |>programs. My question is that the above process run every single time I
    |>boot and is time consuming and really annoying. Can anyone give me
    |>suggestions as to what I could do? What exactly is the issue here and
    |>how could I solve it?

    Yes it does, MSCONFIG or some other utility within Win98 will show
    that it starts on boot.

    --
    Service call? Talk to a human...
    http://paulenglish.com/ivr/
    Trax, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Every time I boot my PC, before windows loads, I get a blue screen
    >which says
    >
    >"Microsoft Registry Checker" and below that it says
    >
    >Repairing C:\Windows\System.dat
    >
    >Then it there is a tick mark next to "Looking for valid system registry
    >keys" and "checking system registry structure" and then after a while
    >(while it counts upto 100%), there is a tick mark next to "Rebuilding
    >system registry".
    >
    >After this is over, Windows 98 loads just fine and I'm able to run my
    >programs. My question is that the above process run every single time I
    >boot and is time consuming and really annoying. Can anyone give me
    >suggestions as to what I could do? What exactly is the issue here and
    >how could I solve it?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >Rohitpad

    Yes, that regsitry scan is a part (and an extremely important part) of
    the Windows 98 startup.

    Not only does it scan the registry for errors and fix them, it also
    creates and maintains a library of 5 backups of your registry plus the
    win.ini and system.ini files.

    Recurring registry problems are something that needs to be addressed
    and fixed as a matter of considerable urgency.

    The first thing to do is to boot your computer to "Command Prompt
    only" at startup. You need to bring up the Windows Startup Menu to do
    this, and this is best done by pressing and holding the Ctrl key very
    early in the startup process (generally as soon as the first
    information of any kind shows on the screen). Hold it down until the
    Windows Startup Menu appears (it will list a number of startup options
    such as Normal Startup, Safe Mode, and others) and choose the "Command
    Prompt only (not Safe Mode Command Prompt) option.

    When the computer stops at the C:\> prompt enter the following
    commands:

    SMARTDRV
    SCANREG /FIX

    Smartdrv just loads the Windows disk caching utility, which will speed
    up the registry scan enormously.

    Scanreg /FIX will check and repair any registry errors. This is a
    somewhat more thorough check than is done at startup and therefore it
    may resolve the issue for you.

    When Scanreg has finished reboot the computer (Ctrl+Alt+Delete). If
    the registry error message comes up again then there is something else
    at play here, and that is most likely to be defective RAM.

    Defective RAM is a known cause of recurring registry errors.

    To test your RAM download one of the following free registry checkers
    and run it:
    DocMemory http://www.simmtester.com
    Windows Memory Diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com

    A very quick, but often very effective memory test can be done by
    rebooting your computer into Safe Mode (see above re Windows Startup
    Menu). If you receive an error message about unreliable XMS memory and
    Windows aborts loading then that is pretty conclusive evidence that
    there is defect RAM. But the memory testers listed above are more
    thorough and more reliable.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    Ron Martell, Nov 27, 2005
  4. philo Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Every time I boot my PC, before windows loads, I get a blue screen
    > which says
    >
    > "Microsoft Registry Checker" and below that it says
    >
    > Repairing C:\Windows\System.dat

    <snip>

    run a RAM test
    registry errors *might* be due to bad RAM
    philo, Nov 27, 2005