    restore the registry but still can't run scandisk. I'm running Win95A,
    AVG AV, Adaware 6 (no later ver compatible) and Spybot 1.2 (no later
    ver compatable). What should I try next?

    Edge, Mar 19, 2006

  2. Edge

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Edge wrote:
    > This is an old computer I am trying to milk along until I get a new one
    > in about a month. I noticed the c: drive free space reduced 100MB. I
    > ran chkdsk and got a message that I should run scandisk to increase
    > free space. I tried running scandisk, but it locks up the the screen
    > and keyboard. c/temp and c/window/temp and cookies files have been
    > deleted. I then tried to run scandisk in safemode but I got a message
    > that I should restore the registry before safemode finished booting. I
    > restore the registry but still can't run scandisk. I'm running Win95A,
    > AVG AV, Adaware 6 (no later ver compatible) and Spybot 1.2 (no later
    > ver compatable). What should I try next?

    See if you can get ccleaner for 95, its very
    nice for cleaning out all the dustbins on your disk.

    Sjouke Burry, Mar 19, 2006

  3. Edge

    Brian Guest

    Can you save the important information and reformat the system? You may find
    there are programs on the disk that you really dont need or use, that would
    free up some space. Sometimes reformatting can feel like spring cleaning and
    makes the computer run so much better. You also may try to upgrade to win98.
    Check E-bay, they're selling fairly cheap these days. This would make more
    applications available, better driver compatibility and 98 was much more
    stable than 95A, even 95B would be an improvement, but if you do upgrade you
    might as well go 98. Windows Me is even better but I don't know your system
    and it may not be a better upgrade, speed-wise. That would be the route I
    would take. Registry problems in 95A usually eventually lead to
    format/reload.
    If you decide to reload 95A, its easier if you copy the files from the win9x
    directory to the newly formatted hdd and run setup from there, it goes
    faster and you dont have to load the CD drivers each boot, just direct the
    setup program to the directory you put the cab files in. Also make sure you
    have the updates for USB (if applicable) and PIIX drivers, 95A did not
    support them correctly. Check the Microsoft Knowledgebase for info KB177981,
    KB258773

    Brian, Mar 19, 2006
  4. Edge

    Plato Guest

    Edge wrote:

    > This is an old computer I am trying to milk along until I get a new one
    > in about a month. I noticed the c: drive free space reduced 100MB. I

    Uninstall all the programs you are not using. Delete all the temp/tmp
    files and all the Internet cache files.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Edge

    Edge Guest

    Unfortunately I can't reformat the disk on this machine and reinstall
    the OS. I did uninstall unused programs, ran ccleaner, deleted c temp,
    c windows/temp and moved the internet cache files to the other
    partition on the primary drive. This did help for a few days. The
    main problem is the swap file has increased to 160 MB on the primary
    drive. This system has two hard drives. The primary drive is split
    into partions where I keep OS related programs and files. The secondary
    drive is for data. Should I try a another registry tool?

    Edge, Mar 23, 2006