Registering your own Premium sms short code number

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by rommy, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. rommy

    rommy Guest

    Hi!

    Does anyone know how it is possible to register your own premium SMS
    number in the UK?
    Where should I start?

    In Estonia (thats where Im from) I would use my national ID-card to
    subscribe a short code of my choice (and end user price) over the
    internet from the department of communication (or something like that
    in English). They would look through your application and typically
    approve it in about a week. Then you would get your desired short code
    (if it is not taken by someone else) and it would be ready to use with
    all of Estonia's mobile operators as soon as you get your software to
    work with there SMSC-s(Short Message Service Centers). The maximum it
    would take is a month, if your up to it then maybe 2 weeks. Here you
    also have to pay an annual fee for your premium SMS number - depending
    on the length of the short code from 500 £ to 10 000 £ a year.
    If the premium SMS costs 1 euro for the end user then the operators
    usually take about 20% and give the owner of the service about 80
    cents.

    Is there a goverment instance in the UK that deals with premium short
    codes?
    If not then where should i start? Maybe someone knows where to look for
    some extra information.

    NB! Anyone offering to use third-party sms-gateways - THANKS, i already
    know how to do that, but what I am really investigating into, is how
    can i register my own premium sms short code.

    Any ideas guys?

    Thanks in advance,
    Roman

    rommy, Feb 27, 2006