registering used HL2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Den, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Den

    Den Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:56:01 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >Whats the story with online registration & a used copy of
    >HalfLife2??
    >Is it possible (given thats its allready been registered)

    SOL, unless the original owner hands over their Steam account details.

    Den, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Den

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Dec 1, 2004

  3. On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:56:01 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >Whats the story with online registration & a used copy of
    >HalfLife2??
    >Is it possible (given thats its allready been registered)

    Not get a Hacked copy, HL2 is illegal as far as I am concerned, does not
    comply with our Retail laws

    Brian Mathews, Dec 1, 2004
  4. > Not get a Hacked copy, HL2 is illegal as far as I am concerned, does not
    > comply with our Retail laws

    Umm,, who cares what your twist on the law ? You do not write the law.
    You do not enforce the law. You do not have any worthwhile opinion in
    relation to the law, as you are merely an individual in this country.

    And suggesting to someone that they get a 'hacked' copy of a product
    that is for sale in shops here in New Zealand really is pretty fucking
    stupid, even for you.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Den

    TomV Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:35 +1300, Den <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:56:01 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >
    >>Whats the story with online registration & a used copy of
    >>HalfLife2??
    >>Is it possible (given thats its allready been registered)

    >SOL, unless the original owner hands over their Steam account details.

    The impression I got is that the registration is yours, so you can use
    someone elses download copy as long as you pay for your own steam
    registration.

    The docs are quite clear you can go to someone elses computer who has
    HL2 installed and use your own steam login.

    I suppose effectively it means there is no such thing as a second hand
    copy, unless as you suggest, someone sells their steam account to you.

    ....tom

    TomV, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Den

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:24:07 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
    <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com> wrote:

    >> Not get a Hacked copy, HL2 is illegal as far as I am concerned, does not
    >> comply with our Retail laws

    >Umm,, who cares what your twist on the law ? You do not write the law.
    >You do not enforce the law. You do not have any worthwhile opinion in
    >relation to the law, as you are merely an individual in this country.
    >
    >And suggesting to someone that they get a 'hacked' copy of a product
    >that is for sale in shops here in New Zealand really is pretty fucking
    >stupid, even for you.

    Didn't Woger bleat on about all hacked copies being trojans?

    ;-)

    Invisible, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Den

    cowboyz Guest

    Den wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:56:01 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >
    >> Whats the story with online registration & a used copy of
    >> HalfLife2??
    >> Is it possible (given thats its allready been registered)

    I was thinking about this as I installed the game as I rarely keep games for
    long. But after playing it I wonder why anyone would want to sell it
    anyway??

    Seriuosly.. Big flaw with the copyright protection on this game is you
    can't resell it. But no doubt in the fine print it says its not for resale
    anyway. I usually sell games for 60% after clocking them. Not in this case

    cowboyz, Dec 1, 2004
  8. On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:15:47 +1300, TomV <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:35 +1300, Den <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:56:01 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Whats the story with online registration & a used copy of
    >>>HalfLife2??
    >>>Is it possible (given thats its allready been registered)

    >>SOL, unless the original owner hands over their Steam account details.

    >The impression I got is that the registration is yours, so you can use
    >someone elses download copy as long as you pay for your own steam
    >registration.
    >
    >The docs are quite clear you can go to someone elses computer who has
    >HL2 installed and use your own steam login.
    >
    >I suppose effectively it means there is no such thing as a second hand
    >copy, unless as you suggest, someone sells their steam account to you.
    >
    >...tom

    Yes Very Ilegal Software ..

    Brian Mathews, Dec 1, 2004
  9. On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:41:33 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >Den wrote:
    >> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:56:01 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Whats the story with online registration & a used copy of
    >>> HalfLife2??
    >>> Is it possible (given thats its allready been registered)

    >I was thinking about this as I installed the game as I rarely keep games for
    >long. But after playing it I wonder why anyone would want to sell it
    >anyway??
    >

    >Seriuosly.. Big flaw with the copyright protection on this game is you
    >can't resell it. But no doubt in the fine print it says its not for resale
    >anyway. I usually sell games for 60% after clocking them. Not in this case

    You will have to sell your Steam acc with it..

    Brian Mathews, Dec 1, 2004
  10. > Didn't Woger bleat on about all hacked copies being trojans?
    > ;-)

    Yep, WOger bleated. As usual, he'll change history to suit him - it's
    very Orwellian.

    Until there is a successful prosecution for the game breaching the law -
    everyone hold their breath, yeah right - he really should get his hand
    off it.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Dec 1, 2004
  11. Den

    cowboyz Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:15:47 +1300, TomV <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:35 +1300, Den <> wrote:

    >>> SOL, unless the original owner hands over their Steam account
    >>> details.

    >> The impression I got is that the registration is yours, so you can
    >> use someone elses download copy as long as you pay for your own steam
    >> registration.
    >>
    >> The docs are quite clear you can go to someone elses computer who has
    >> HL2 installed and use your own steam login.
    >>
    >> I suppose effectively it means there is no such thing as a second
    >> hand copy, unless as you suggest, someone sells their steam account
    >> to you.
    >>
    >> ...tom

    > Yes Very Ilegal Software ..

    Can you, for interests sake, reference which law this software is breaking?

    cowboyz, Dec 1, 2004
  12. Den

    David Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > In article <41drd.19135$>, le (S Roby) wrote:
    >
    >>Whats the story with online registration & a used copy of
    >>HalfLife2??
    >>Is it possible (given thats its allready been registered)

    > Of course if you get finish the game then you shouldnt (morally)
    > sell it (as you have gotten the full use of the software)
    > I seems it just wont be worth the hassel with trying to "fix"a used/registered
    > HL2 game (I'll buy new)

    Heh, Steam sucks, Its quicker to install a hacked version off a torrent
    site and not go through all the time wasting install and registration
    procedures :D

    David, Dec 2, 2004
  13. Den

    S Roby Guest