    VoipDiscount or is only one at once allowed. If both can register which one
    (or would both) ring?

    TIA
    A.N. Onymous Esq, Jan 19, 2008

  2. A.N. Onymous Esq

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "A.N. Onymous Esq" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
    news:4791f2e6$0$8428$
    : : I use VoipDiscount for all my outgoing calls and up
    : : till now have used VoipTalk for my incoming calls. The
    : : settings in my Linksys ATA are such that it registers
    : : with VoipTalk but not with VoipDiscount.
    : :
    : : VoipDiscount have just started providing incoming
    : : numbers but obviously if I want to use it I will have
    : : to change the settings so that my ATA registers with
    : : VoipDiscount (I could then dispense with VoipTalk)
    : :
    : : I have a notebook computer that has the VoipDiscount
    : : soft phone on for when I am out and about.
    : :
    : : Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at
    : : the same time with VoipDiscount or is only one at once
    : : allowed. If both can register which one (or would both)
    : : ring?
    : :
    : : TIA

    Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 19, 2008

  3. A.N. Onymous Esq

    Christian Guest

    >> Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at
    >> the same time with VoipDiscount or is only one at once
    >> allowed. If both can register which one (or would both)
    >> ring?

    > Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

    No, not with Betamax-providers (like VoipDiscount). Only one client is
    allowed at the same time. Clients (softclient or ATA) periodically
    "register" theirselves. The one who sent the last REGISTER is the one that
    will be logged in (and will get any incoming calls).

    When using the VoipDiscount softclient, you even will get a notification
    that another client is logged in, and it will ask you if you want to
    re-login, before re-registering.

    Christian
    Christian, Jan 19, 2008
  4. A.N. Onymous Esq

    Jono Guest

    Christian explained on 19/01/2008 :
    >>> Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at
    >>> the same time with VoipDiscount or is only one at once
    >>> allowed. If both can register which one (or would both)
    >>> ring?

    >> Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

    > No, not with Betamax-providers (like VoipDiscount). Only one client is
    > allowed at the same time. Clients (softclient or ATA) periodically "register"
    > theirselves. The one who sent the last REGISTER is the one that will be
    > logged in (and will get any incoming calls).
    >
    > When using the VoipDiscount softclient, you even will get a notification that
    > another client is logged in, and it will ask you if you want to re-login,
    > before re-registering.

    However, although the above is correct, it is possible to make
    /outgoing/ calls on any number of ATAs, without registering.
    Jono, Jan 19, 2008
  5. "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Christian explained on 19/01/2008 :

    >>> Both should ring, whichever one answers first gets the call.

    >> No, not with Betamax-providers (like VoipDiscount). Only one client is
    >> allowed at the same time. Clients (softclient or ATA) periodically
    >> "register" theirselves. The one who sent the last REGISTER is the one
    >> that will be logged in (and will get any incoming calls).
    >>
    >> When using the VoipDiscount softclient, you even will get a notification
    >> that another client is logged in, and it will ask you if you want to
    >> re-login, before re-registering.
    >>

    > However, although the above is correct, it is possible to make /outgoing/
    > calls on any number of ATAs, without registering.

    Ah - Ok I will leave things as they are !
    A.N. Onymous Esq, Jan 19, 2008
  6. A.N. Onymous Esq wrote:
    > I use VoipDiscount for all my outgoing calls and up till now have used
    > VoipTalk for my incoming calls. The settings in my Linksys ATA are
    > such that it registers with VoipTalk but not with VoipDiscount.
    >
    > VoipDiscount have just started providing incoming numbers but
    > obviously if I want to use it I will have to change the settings so
    > that my ATA registers with VoipDiscount (I could then dispense with
    > VoipTalk)
    > I have a notebook computer that has the VoipDiscount soft phone on
    > for when I am out and about.
    >
    > Could both the ATA and the notebook be registered at the same time
    > with VoipDiscount or is only one at once allowed. If both can
    > register which one (or would both) ring?
    >
    > TIA

    You could have only VoIPDiscount registered on your ATA, and go into
    VoIPTalk settings on the website and select route to an external provider.
    Then select your VoIPDiscount username and sip.voipdiscount.com in the
    required fields. So when someone calls your VoIP Talk number it routes to
    VoIPDiscount at no charge and rings your VoIPDiscount line. You could also
    have a number from VoIPDiscount, so calling either number would ring the
    VoIPDiscount service. The UK number from VoIPDiscount will be an 056 VoIP
    Number.

    --
    http://www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk/pcpro
    http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/rapex/rapex_archives_en.cfm