Registering a Domain Through Melbourne IT for a Microsoft Office Live (free) Website

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
    obtaining a Office Live website.

    I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as to
    acquire a site.

    According to Microsoft, domain registration is free for the first year and
    then $14.95 per year thereafter.

    Domain purchase through Melbourne IT would result in my POP and SMTP servers
    being hosted.

    I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the above
    registrar?

    Further, if I eventually decide to transfer my domain to another registrar,
    will Melbourne make it next to impossible or will it release my domain after
    the various stages involved?

    All feedback appreciated!

    Thanks.

    Martin

    Martin, Jun 9, 2009

  2. Martin wrote:

    > I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of
    > my obtaining a Office Live website. ...
    >
    > All feedback appreciated!

    You may be better served to ask this question in alt.www.webmasters

    ...though I personally would never register anything with Microsoft. Use
    a good generic registrar. I use godaddy.com for mine.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2009

  3. Martin

    Leythos Guest

    In article <70sXl.75034$1.easynews.com>,
    am says...

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
    > obtaining a Office Live website.
    >
    > I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as to
    > acquire a site.
    >
    > According to Microsoft, domain registration is free for the first year and
    > then $14.95 per year thereafter.
    >
    > Domain purchase through Melbourne IT would result in my POP and SMTP servers
    > being hosted.
    >
    > I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the above
    > registrar?
    >
    > Further, if I eventually decide to transfer my domain to another registrar,
    > will Melbourne make it next to impossible or will it release my domain after
    > the various stages involved?
    >
    > All feedback appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Martin

    Use GODADDY.COM and avoid those places that resell service through
    Melbourne. If I remember correctly, Yahoo Small Business also uses
    Melbourne....

    Trust yourself.
    (remove 999 for proper email address)

    Leythos, Jun 9, 2009
  4. Martin

    VanguardLH Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
    > obtaining a Office Live website.
    >
    > I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as to
    > acquire a site.
    >
    > According to Microsoft, domain registration is free for the first year and
    > then $14.95 per year thereafter.
    >
    > Domain purchase through Melbourne IT would result in my POP and SMTP servers
    > being hosted.
    >
    > I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the above
    > registrar?
    >
    > Further, if I eventually decide to transfer my domain to another registrar,
    > will Melbourne make it next to impossible or will it release my domain after
    > the various stages involved?
    >
    > All feedback appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Martin

    At one time, AOL was offering free domain registrations
    (http://domains.aol.com/). Instead of picking one of their pre-defined
    domain names to include in your new e-mail account through AOL (who
    offered POP/SMTP service), you could pick your own domain. The domain
    was registered through Melbourne. AOL never revealed how long was that
    domain registration. It was one year but AOL never divulged that
    information so they made it look to their users like they got a
    permanent domain name. AOL couldn't afford to keep paying for the
    renewals. Eventually AOL couldn't even afford to pay for the 1st
    registration and discontinued the offer (so now all that
    http://www.tunome.com/ list are the free pre-defined domains). When it
    came time to renew, I abandoned the AOL account to let it die. I didn't
    find it a reliable e-mail service, anyway. The free domain
    registrations, when they offered them, did NOT include any web hosting
    services.

    What are you going to do after the 1-year lure expires to continue your
    "business" presence? Melbourne has their nameserver redirect to
    Live.com for your e-mail account. When the freebie 1-year registration
    runs out, you'll have to renew at Melbourne to retain that setup or you
    transfer your domain name (at a fee) to another but cheaper registrar
    and hope they are allowed to redirect your domain to the same e-mail and
    webhosting provider.

    If you're looking into a free solution, go for it but figure in 1 year
    that you'll have to set the whole thing up again through a different
    registrar. After all, you are looking for the cheapest solution. At
    renewal time, that probably won't include Melbourne as an option.
    They're hoping you become engrained with Melbourne that you'll feel
    compelled to continue with them.

    You get 30 days of support. After that, you pay.

    VanguardLH, Jun 9, 2009
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    Thank you for your detailed reply.

    What attracts me to Melbourne/Live's offer is that hosting the site is free
    throughout the life of the domain registration, or so I believe to be the
    case.

    Using Melbourne/Live's free website, regardless of registrar, allows one to
    create as many pages as one wants, whereas Go Daddy charges $4.99 per month
    for a 5-page site.

    With Melbourne/Live, registration is free the first year and approximately
    twice what Go Daddy charges per year thereafter.

    So, one saves approximately $60 annually through Melbourne/Live, which is
    slightly offset by the increased cost of 2nd year-onward registration.

    One factor, of course, is that one can call Go Daddy 24x7, while the
    turn-around time for Melbourne/Live is 4 hours by e-mail.

    Melbourne/Live has forums where customers post problems and a company rep
    addresses them.

    As far as I know, Go Daddy has no such forums.

    Insofar as my web needs are concerned, I need a simple site, explaining what
    my services are. It will not be e-commerce enabled (which is how
    Melbourne/Live starts to make additional profit by add-ons.)

    If you have any constructive criticisms of the above, please feel free to
    post them as I like to make well-informed decisions.

    Regards,

    Martin

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    : Martin wrote:
    :
    : > Hello,
    : >
    : > I'm considering registering a domain through Melbourne IT as part of my
    : > obtaining a Office Live website.
    : >
    : > I'm aware that I don't require registration through that registrar so as
    : > acquire a site.
    : >

    Martin, Jun 9, 2009
  6. Martin wrote:

    > whereas Go Daddy charges $4.99 per month for a 5-page site.

    If you skip Starbucks one morning a month, you've got enough money to
    pay for professional hosting.

    This is your business you're talking about, right? Your livelihood? It
    should be a deductible expense, so you may not even have to skip that
    one cafe latte.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2009
  7. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    My major gripe about Go Daddy is that the company upgrades its WebSite
    Tonight far too often.

    It's great for those customers who continue to want added functionality and
    more bells and whistles.

    I need a relatively ordinary site.

    Two or three years ago, when I needed a particular shade of colour, I could
    click the appropriate shade on a palette.

    Now, there's a sliding bar which provides probably thousands of shades of
    various colours, which is overkill to me. If I want to recreate the colour
    from page to page, I need to remember the numerical values involved. Not
    good :-(

    That's the main attraction of Live's offer; its sites are simple with a
    limited number of options. There's no learning curve involved (for me),
    unlike Go Daddy where it seems that, every two or three months, a new
    version of WebSite Tonight is published.

    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    Regarding Starbucks, I visited an outlet only once. After paying $3.99 for a
    cup of milk, I resolved that there would never be a second visit.

    Martin

    : Martin wrote:
    :
    : > whereas Go Daddy charges $4.99 per month for a 5-page site.
    :
    : If you skip Starbucks one morning a month, you've got enough money to
    : pay for professional hosting.
    :
    : This is your business you're talking about, right? Your livelihood? It
    : should be a deductible expense, so you may not even have to skip that
    : one cafe latte.
    :
    : --
    : -bts
    : -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    Martin, Jun 9, 2009
  8. Martin wrote:

    Please do not top-post.

    > My major gripe about Go Daddy is that the company upgrades its WebSite
    > Tonight far too often. It's great for those customers who continue to
    > want added functionality and more bells and whistles.

    I did not say to *host* with Godaddy. In fact, the usual recommendation
    is to never buy a domain name and hosting services from the same place.
    Look for hosting at places like: http://axishost.com/

    > I need a relatively ordinary site.

    So then write it. Write your own; don't use someone's "wizards." Get
    yourself a tool such as http://kompozer.net/

    Please trim to relevant material when you reply.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2009
  9. Martin

    Martin Guest

    : Martin wrote:
    :
    (SNIP)

    Hello,

    At the risk of inadvertently top posting again, is this post *not* a top
    post because of its position, or does top posting have another meaning?

    Martin

    Martin, Jun 9, 2009
  10. Martin wrote:

    > At the risk of inadvertently top posting again, is this post *not* a
    > top post because of its position, or does top posting have another
    > meaning?

    No, you mostly got it. Thanks. It is "posting on top" of the quoted
    material. Conversations are hard to follow if one has to keep scrolling
    up and down to see what you are replying to.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2009
  11. Martin

    Martin Guest

    : Martin wrote:
    :
    : > At the risk of inadvertently top posting again, is this post *not* a
    : > top post because of its position, or does top posting have another
    : > meaning?
    :
    : No, you mostly got it. Thanks. It is "posting on top" of the quoted
    : material. Conversations are hard to follow if one has to keep scrolling
    : up and down to see what you are replying to.
    :
    : --
    : -bts
    : -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    Hello again,

    You're welcome!

    Martin

    Martin, Jun 9, 2009
  12. Martin

    VanguardLH Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > What attracts me to Melbourne/Live's offer is that hosting the site is free
    > throughout the life of the domain registration, or so I believe to be the
    > case.

    You better check with Melbourne if they permit transferring the "free"
    domain name. The package may be setup that Melbourne registers the
    domain but THEY get to keep it (because they paid for it). You may not
    be able to transfer it later. That means you are really stuck using
    Melbourne thereafter unless you are willing to abandon your, er, their
    old domain name. Many courtesy webhost providers retain ownership of
    the domain.

    VanguardLH, Jun 16, 2009
  13. Martin

    Martin Guest

    : Martin wrote:
    :
    : > What attracts me to Melbourne/Live's offer is that hosting the site is
    free
    : > throughout the life of the domain registration, or so I believe to be
    the
    : > case.
    :
    : You better check with Melbourne if they permit transferring the "free"
    : domain name. The package may be setup that Melbourne registers the
    : domain but THEY get to keep it (because they paid for it). You may not
    : be able to transfer it later. That means you are really stuck using
    : Melbourne thereafter unless you are willing to abandon your, er, their
    : old domain name. Many courtesy webhost providers retain ownership of
    : the domain.

    Thank you.

    I wasn't aware that a registrar could maintain ownership of a domain,
    especially if it advertises a renewal fee from the second year of usage
    onward.

    Martin

    Martin, Jun 16, 2009
  14. Martin

    VanguardLH Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >: Martin wrote:
    >:
    >:> What attracts me to Melbourne/Live's offer is that hosting the site is
    > free
    >:> throughout the life of the domain registration, or so I believe to be
    > the
    >:> case.
    >:
    >: You better check with Melbourne if they permit transferring the "free"
    >: domain name. The package may be setup that Melbourne registers the
    >: domain but THEY get to keep it (because they paid for it). You may not
    >: be able to transfer it later. That means you are really stuck using
    >: Melbourne thereafter unless you are willing to abandon your, er, their
    >: old domain name. Many courtesy webhost providers retain ownership of
    >: the domain.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > I wasn't aware that a registrar could maintain ownership of a domain,
    > especially if it advertises a renewal fee from the second year of usage
    > onward.
    >
    > Martin

    I've seen many webhosting providers that give you a "free" domain if and
    only if you buy their webhosting services. They register the domain but
    THEY are doing it, not you. These are called "courtesy" domains: as a
    courtesy of buying their webhosting service, they'll give you a domain
    (that is registered only through them so there is no cost to them). You
    are getting a year for free of their webhosting services.

    I don't know what Microsoft is giving you via Melbourne. You need to
    find out. I'm saying some webhosting providers retain ownership of the
    courtesy domain they provide while you buy their webhosting service.
    You get to use it but they own it. I don't know that Melbourne is like
    this but, hey, when it comes to free stuff then you should know what
    you're getting; otherwise, in a year, you could find what you think is
    your domain name is held hostage by the webhosting provider (well, it's
    their property so they're just keeping it). I would think there is some
    contact at Melbourne where you could ask about whether or not you can
    migrate the domain name that you get through them to some other
    registrar after you terminate any webhosting services with them.

    VanguardLH, Jun 16, 2009