    Joe Gonzalez Guest

    could someone explain the region thing to me
    i'm new to this stuff
    Joe Gonzalez, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Joe Gonzalez

    Dragon Guest

    ok here we go quickly, each dvd is separated in to particular regions of the
    world which means usually you can not play a another region disk on a dvd
    player but as most players are now region free or multi region this is
    ineffective.

    A DVD will have one of seven region codes encoded on it. These seven codes
    represent different regions of the world

    region 1 is Canada and usa
    region 2 Japan, Europe, South Africa and the Middle East and UK
    region 3 Southeast Asia and East Asia
    region 4 Australia, New Zealand, some Pacific Islands, Central and South
    America
    region 5 Indian Subcontinent, Former Soviet Union and Africa
    region 6 china
    region 7 free for testing
    region 8 free for testing
    region 0 is all or any will play on any player

    so depending on where you live look at your region and this will tell you,
    if you live in the UK for instance your local shops and store will sell
    region 2 and region 0 disks, where as if you live in America your local
    stores will stock region 1 and region 0 disk

    Dave

    Dragon, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Joe Gonzalez

    Joe Gonzalez Guest

    great info thanks a ton

    Joe Gonzalez, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Joe Gonzalez

    jayembee Guest

    "Dragon" <> wrote:

    > ok here we go quickly, each dvd is separated in to
    > particular regions of the world which means usually you
    > can not play a another region disk on a dvd player but
    > as most players are now region free or multi region this
    > is ineffective.

    That depends on where one lives. Most off-the-shelf players
    sold in the US are *not* region-free/multi-region, unless
    you know or can find out the hack that will make it so.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Joe Gonzalez

    Dragon Guest

    Yes jayembee your right but as I live in the UK and most players are multi
    region when you buy them that is what I was referring that you CANT play
    dvds on other region players unless they are already multi region and if
    there not a quick search on the net and you can make most of them multi
    region with a remote hack not sure about USA

    Dave

    Dragon, Jun 10, 2004
  6. >region 0 is all or any will play on any player

    no, region 0 will not play on any player. Most players were manufactured to not
    play region 0 discs, after the studios found out about it.

    Most players will play "all region" discs, but not "region 0" discs.

    They are two different things.
    Waterperson77, Jun 17, 2004
  7. >That depends on where one lives. Most off-the-shelf players
    >sold in the US are *not* region-free/multi-region, unless
    >you know or can find out the hack that will make it so.

    not only that, but also most off the shelf dvd playyers currently sold in the
    U.S. will NOT play region 0 discs.

    They will play "all region" discs, but not "region 0" discs.
    Waterperson77, Jun 17, 2004
  8. Joe Gonzalez

    Allen Guest

    (Waterperson77) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >region 0 is all or any will play on any player

    > no, region 0 will not play on any player. Most players were manufactured to not
    > play region 0 discs, after the studios found out about it.
    >
    > Most players will play "all region" discs, but not "region 0" discs.
    >
    > They are two different things.

    There are a number of inexpensive players available in Canada and the
    US that are easy to modify to play DVDs from all regions. I've got
    some more info at my site if anyone is interested.

    Allen

    http://www.worlddvdsales.com
    Allen, Jun 17, 2004