Regional settings on an SPA2012 don't seem to work

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve Slatcher, Feb 1, 2012.

  1. As you may have noticed in another thread, I am in the process of
    setting myself up with VoIP.

    I seem to be in business more-or-less now with my SPA2012 ATA - I can
    make and receive calls. My plugged-in analogue phone does not ring, but
    I understand that is because I am missing a ring capacitor in the
    RJ11-BT cable, and I am getting a correct one.

    The main issue is that I don't seem to be able to get a UK dial tone.
    Instead I hear a rapid beep. The engaged tone seems about right. I am
    trying to use the regional settings I found on this web page
    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Support.php?cat_id=14&id=172

    The problem seems to be that changes to the Call Progress Tones do not
    make any difference. I tried changing the Dial Tone to be the same as
    the Engaged Tone in the above webpage and it made not a jot of
    difference. So it seems like there is maybe a box to check sonmewhere
    to say "take regional settings", but I cannot find such a thing.

    Any ideas

    Cheers

    Steve

    --
    www.winenous.co.uk

    Steve Slatcher, Feb 1, 2012

  2. Steve Slatcher, Feb 1, 2012

  3. Steve Slatcher

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:21:52 +0000, Steve Slatcher
    <> wrote:

    >As you may have noticed in another thread, I am in the process of
    >setting myself up with VoIP.
    >
    >I seem to be in business more-or-less now with my SPA2012 ATA - I can
    >make and receive calls. My plugged-in analogue phone does not ring, but
    >I understand that is because I am missing a ring capacitor in the
    >RJ11-BT cable, and I am getting a correct one.
    >
    >The main issue is that I don't seem to be able to get a UK dial tone.
    >Instead I hear a rapid beep. The engaged tone seems about right. I am
    >trying to use the regional settings I found on this web page
    >http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Support.php?cat_id=14&id=172
    >
    >The problem seems to be that changes to the Call Progress Tones do not
    >make any difference. I tried changing the Dial Tone to be the same as
    >the Engaged Tone in the above webpage and it made not a jot of
    >difference. So it seems like there is maybe a box to check sonmewhere
    >to say "take regional settings", but I cannot find such a thing.
    >
    >Any ideas
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Steve

    If you have a spare ADSL filter plug that in tandem with the existing
    adapter. You will then find that your phone will ring.

    If you haven't got a spare filter try a different phone, many don't
    require a bell capacitor, in particular DECT phones and phones on FAX
    machines usually ring regardless

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 1, 2012
  4. On 01/02/2012 23:25, Graham. wrote:

    > try a different phone, many don't
    > require a bell capacitor, in particular DECT phones

    Thanks. Wish I'd known that before I ordered another lead. I checked
    the ring tone problem on another (DECT) phone and it was the same, but
    not the ringing issue.

    --
    www.winenous.co.uk

    Steve Slatcher, Feb 2, 2012
  5. Steve Slatcher

    Woody Guest

    "Steve Slatcher" <> wrote in message
    > As you may have noticed in another thread, I am in the process
    > of setting myself up with VoIP.
    >
    > I seem to be in business more-or-less now with my SPA2012 ATA -
    > I can make and receive calls. My plugged-in analogue phone
    > does not ring, but I understand that is because I am missing a
    > ring capacitor in the RJ11-BT cable, and I am getting a correct
    > one.
    >
    > The main issue is that I don't seem to be able to get a UK dial
    > tone. Instead I hear a rapid beep. The engaged tone seems
    > about right. I am trying to use the regional settings I found
    > on this web page
    > http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Support.php?cat_id=14&id=172
    >
    > The problem seems to be that changes to the Call Progress Tones
    > do not make any difference. I tried changing the Dial Tone to
    > be the same as the Engaged Tone in the above webpage and it
    > made not a jot of difference. So it seems like there is maybe
    > a box to check sonmewhere to say "take regional settings", but
    > I cannot find such a thing.
    >
    > Any ideas
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > www.winenous.co.uk

    Try this one - it is for a SPA2002 but they are essentially the
    same from the point of view of dial tones etc.

    http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_demo/spa-2002/admin/advanced

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Feb 2, 2012
  6. On 02/02/2012 20:04, Woody wrote:
    > "Steve Slatcher"<> wrote in message
    >> As you may have noticed in another thread, I am in the process
    >> of setting myself up with VoIP.
    >>
    >> I seem to be in business more-or-less now with my SPA2012 ATA -
    >> I can make and receive calls. My plugged-in analogue phone
    >> does not ring, but I understand that is because I am missing a
    >> ring capacitor in the RJ11-BT cable, and I am getting a correct
    >> one.
    >>
    >> The main issue is that I don't seem to be able to get a UK dial
    >> tone. Instead I hear a rapid beep. The engaged tone seems
    >> about right. I am trying to use the regional settings I found
    >> on this web page
    >> http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Support.php?cat_id=14&id=172
    >>
    >> The problem seems to be that changes to the Call Progress Tones
    >> do not make any difference. I tried changing the Dial Tone to
    >> be the same as the Engaged Tone in the above webpage and it
    >> made not a jot of difference. So it seems like there is maybe
    >> a box to check sonmewhere to say "take regional settings", but
    >> I cannot find such a thing.
    >>
    >> Any ideas
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> --
    >> www.winenous.co.uk
    >>

    > Try this one - it is for a SPA2002 but they are essentially the
    > same from the point of view of dial tones etc.
    >
    > http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_demo/spa-2002/admin/advanced

    Thanks. That may be useful for all sorts of reasons, but my current
    problem is that whatever I set the dial tone to it sounds the same (and
    wrong).

    --
    www.winenous.co.uk

    Steve Slatcher, Feb 2, 2012
  7. Steve Slatcher

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:21:52 +0000, Steve Slatcher wrote:

    > As you may have noticed in another thread, I am in the process of
    > setting myself up with VoIP.
    >
    > I seem to be in business more-or-less now with my SPA2012 ATA - I can
    > make and receive calls. My plugged-in analogue phone does not ring, but
    > I understand that is because I am missing a ring capacitor in the
    > RJ11-BT cable, and I am getting a correct one.
    >
    > The main issue is that I don't seem to be able to get a UK dial tone.
    > Instead I hear a rapid beep. The engaged tone seems about right. I am
    > trying to use the regional settings I found on this web page
    > http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Support.php?cat_id=14&id=172
    >
    > The problem seems to be that changes to the Call Progress Tones do not
    > make any difference. I tried changing the Dial Tone to be the same as
    > the Engaged Tone in the above webpage and it made not a jot of
    > difference. So it seems like there is maybe a box to check sonmewhere
    > to say "take regional settings", but I cannot find such a thing.

    I'd suspect a syntax error in what you've put. It should be exactly this,
    with no embellishments or removals (this is taken straight from my
    SPA2000 config):

    350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)

    I take it that it is 'sticking' and you have tried rebooting the
    SPA2102...

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Feb 2, 2012
  8. I now have a new Sipgate line configured and the dial tone is fine on
    that. So must be something to do with Voipfone. I guess I'll check the
    line settings, and if I can't see problems contact them for support.

    --
    www.winenous.co.uk

    Steve Slatcher, Feb 2, 2012
  9. Steve Slatcher

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 21:42:02 +0000, Steve Slatcher wrote:

    > I now have a new Sipgate line configured and the dial tone is fine on
    > that. So must be something to do with Voipfone. I guess I'll check the
    > line settings, and if I can't see problems contact them for support.

    Ah. Voipfone may be sending an override command.

    Bob Eager, Feb 2, 2012
  10. On 02/02/2012 21:39, Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:21:52 +0000, Steve Slatcher wrote:
    >
    >> As you may have noticed in another thread, I am in the process of
    >> setting myself up with VoIP.
    >>
    >> I seem to be in business more-or-less now with my SPA2012 ATA - I can
    >> make and receive calls. My plugged-in analogue phone does not ring, but
    >> I understand that is because I am missing a ring capacitor in the
    >> RJ11-BT cable, and I am getting a correct one.
    >>
    >> The main issue is that I don't seem to be able to get a UK dial tone.
    >> Instead I hear a rapid beep. The engaged tone seems about right. I am
    >> trying to use the regional settings I found on this web page
    >> http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Support.php?cat_id=14&id=172
    >>
    >> The problem seems to be that changes to the Call Progress Tones do not
    >> make any difference. I tried changing the Dial Tone to be the same as
    >> the Engaged Tone in the above webpage and it made not a jot of
    >> difference. So it seems like there is maybe a box to check sonmewhere
    >> to say "take regional settings", but I cannot find such a thing.

    > I'd suspect a syntax error in what you've put. It should be exactly this,
    > with no embellishments or removals (this is taken straight from my
    > SPA2000 config):
    >
    > 350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)
    >
    > I take it that it is 'sticking' and you have tried rebooting the
    > SPA2102...

    Sticking? The beeping continues contstantly - it is not just a few
    times. That what your mean?

    Yup, I've rebooted once or twice!

    Cheers

    Steve

    --
    www.winenous.co.uk

    Steve Slatcher, Feb 2, 2012
  11. Steve Slatcher

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 21:57:08 +0000, Steve Slatcher wrote:

    > On 02/02/2012 21:39, Bob Eager wrote:
    >> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:21:52 +0000, Steve Slatcher wrote:
    >>
    >>> As you may have noticed in another thread, I am in the process of
    >>> setting myself up with VoIP.
    >>>
    >>> I seem to be in business more-or-less now with my SPA2012 ATA - I can
    >>> make and receive calls. My plugged-in analogue phone does not ring,
    >>> but I understand that is because I am missing a ring capacitor in the
    >>> RJ11-BT cable, and I am getting a correct one.
    >>>
    >>> The main issue is that I don't seem to be able to get a UK dial tone.
    >>> Instead I hear a rapid beep. The engaged tone seems about right. I
    >>> am trying to use the regional settings I found on this web page
    >>> http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Support.php?cat_id=14&id=172
    >>>
    >>> The problem seems to be that changes to the Call Progress Tones do not
    >>> make any difference. I tried changing the Dial Tone to be the same as
    >>> the Engaged Tone in the above webpage and it made not a jot of
    >>> difference. So it seems like there is maybe a box to check sonmewhere
    >>> to say "take regional settings", but I cannot find such a thing.

    >> I'd suspect a syntax error in what you've put. It should be exactly
    >> this, with no embellishments or removals (this is taken straight from
    >> my SPA2000 config):
    >>
    >> 350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)
    >>
    >> I take it that it is 'sticking' and you have tried rebooting the
    >> SPA2102...

    > Sticking? The beeping continues contstantly - it is not just a few
    > times. That what your mean?

    No, is the setting still visible after reboot?

    Bob Eager, Feb 2, 2012
  12. Problem solved. I had Voipfone voicemail, and despite the fact that I
    deleted it earlier this evening using the web interface I apparantly
    needed to check for messages using the phone too.

    Pretty quick email response from Voipfone support, late evening, sorted
    it out.

    Problems reported to Sipgate at the same time last night were replied to
    12hrs or so later. Could not register emergency address as Manchester
    was not recognised as a city! And website would not let me buy credit!!

    2-0 to Voipfone :)

    Steve Slatcher, Feb 2, 2012
  13. On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 23:19:47 +0000, Steve Slatcher wrote:

    > Problems reported to Sipgate at the same time last night were replied to
    > 12hrs or so later. Could not register emergency address as Manchester
    > was not recognised as a city!

    Sounds like very out of date geographic data then.
    IIRC prior to the Reform Act of 1832 Manchester didn't have a single MP,
    but I doubt Sipgate are that out of date.

    Andrew Benham, Feb 3, 2012