    I do not have a DVD burner on my computer, so there is no way I could do
    it myself. Other than finding a brilliant hacker in town, does anyone
    know how I could convert this DVD? Thanks--any input appreciated.

    Suzanne, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Suzanne

    NSM Guest

    "Suzanne" <> wrote in message news:...
    | I ordered a DVD from Amazon.co.uk for a Christmas gift (I'm in Florida),
    | and just realized that it is Region 2 PAL format. My player only plays
    | Region 1. I know I can just return it, but it's an excellent DVD of
    | Formula One footage that my husband would love to have.
    |
    | Are there any companies that convert PAL to NTSC? I used to be able to
    | have it done with tapes, but I don't know if the PAL to NTSC DVD
    | conversion is done regularly (or legally).
    |
    | I do not have a DVD burner on my computer, so there is no way I could do
    | it myself. Other than finding a brilliant hacker in town, does anyone
    | know how I could convert this DVD? Thanks--any input appreciated.

    Look for someone who rents East Indian videos. Often they can do the
    conversion for you. Asian videos would be another possibility. Blockbuster
    won't do it.

    NSM, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Suzanne

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << Are there any companies that convert PAL to NTSC? I used to be able to
    have it done with tapes, but I don't know if the PAL to NTSC DVD
    conversion is done regularly (or legally). >><BR><BR>

    For just about double the price you'd pay to have it converted, you can easily
    find a region free player on eBay that should handle the DVD you just
    purchased. You'll pay a bit more now, but will have the luxury to order DVDs
    from the UK or anywhere else in the world to enjoy in the future.

    SoHillsGuy, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Suzanne

    Biz Guest

    Is there a R1 NTSC release of the same thing? Check tha first, since any
    other route for your situation will be rather expensive.

    Biz, Dec 8, 2004
  5. Suzanne

    fred Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:11:59 -0500, Suzanne <> wrote:

    >I ordered a DVD from Amazon.co.uk for a Christmas gift (I'm in Florida),
    >and just realized that it is Region 2 PAL format. My player only plays
    >Region 1. I know I can just return it, but it's an excellent DVD of
    >Formula One footage that my husband would love to have.
    >
    >Are there any companies that convert PAL to NTSC? I used to be able to
    > have it done with tapes, but I don't know if the PAL to NTSC DVD
    >conversion is done regularly (or legally).
    >
    >I do not have a DVD burner on my computer, so there is no way I could do
    >it myself. Other than finding a brilliant hacker in town, does anyone
    >know how I could convert this DVD? Thanks--any input appreciated.

    Depending on the make of your dvd player it may play the disk with
    minor conversion. Go to videohelp.com and look up your player. Also
    look for information on some of the very cheap players out there. th
    Some are under $30 that can be made to work for next to nothing and
    that would be much cheaper than paying for a conversion that will
    probably look like crap.

    fred, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Suzanne

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:11:59 -0500, Suzanne <> wrote:

    >I ordered a DVD from Amazon.co.uk for a Christmas gift (I'm in Florida),
    >and just realized that it is Region 2 PAL format. My player only plays
    >Region 1. I know I can just return it, but it's an excellent DVD of
    >Formula One footage that my husband would love to have.
    >
    >Are there any companies that convert PAL to NTSC? I used to be able to
    > have it done with tapes, but I don't know if the PAL to NTSC DVD
    >conversion is done regularly (or legally).
    >
    >I do not have a DVD burner on my computer, so there is no way I could do
    >it myself. Other than finding a brilliant hacker in town, does anyone
    >know how I could convert this DVD? Thanks--any input appreciated.

    Depending on the make and model of your DVD player it might be
    possible to make it region-free. I did that with mine by a simple
    procedure using the remote.

    GraB, Dec 8, 2004
  7. GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:11:59 -0500, Suzanne <> wrote:
    >

    >>I ordered a DVD from Amazon.co.uk for a Christmas gift (I'm in Florida),
    >>and just realized that it is Region 2 PAL format. My player only plays
    >>Region 1. I know I can just return it, but it's an excellent DVD of
    >>Formula One footage that my husband would love to have.
    >>
    >>Are there any companies that convert PAL to NTSC? I used to be able to
    >> have it done with tapes, but I don't know if the PAL to NTSC DVD
    >>conversion is done regularly (or legally).
    >>
    >>I do not have a DVD burner on my computer, so there is no way I could do
    >>it myself. Other than finding a brilliant hacker in town, does anyone
    >>know how I could convert this DVD? Thanks--any input appreciated.

    > Depending on the make and model of your DVD player it might be
    > possible to make it region-free. I did that with mine by a simple
    > procedure using the remote.

    A database of hackable players is availavle here:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

    Another possibility if the original poster has a DVD burner on a
    computer is that you could rip the disc and then reburn the DVD. You
    will most likely lose quality, but it's simple to do. Instructions on
    the process are on the same site at the database.

    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Suzanne

    Suzanne Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:11:59 -0500, Suzanne <> wrote:
    >

    >>I ordered a DVD from Amazon.co.uk for a Christmas gift (I'm in Florida),
    >>and just realized that it is Region 2 PAL format. My player only plays
    >>Region 1. I know I can just return it, but it's an excellent DVD of
    >>Formula One footage that my husband would love to have.
    >>
    >>Are there any companies that convert PAL to NTSC? I used to be able to
    >> have it done with tapes, but I don't know if the PAL to NTSC DVD
    >>conversion is done regularly (or legally).
    >>
    >>I do not have a DVD burner on my computer, so there is no way I could do
    >>it myself. Other than finding a brilliant hacker in town, does anyone
    >>know how I could convert this DVD? Thanks--any input appreciated.

    > Depending on the make and model of your DVD player it might be
    > possible to make it region-free. I did that with mine by a simple
    > procedure using the remote.

    I found a forum with a hack for the DVD player (Zenith DVB412). It
    involves downloading a zip file, burning a CD and inserting into the DVD
    player.

    This sounds simple. My question is how safe is it to open a zip file
    downloaded from the net? The virus issue? If I then insert the burned CD
    into the DVD player and change a setting, am I screwing the player up
    permanently? I'm pretty technologically savvy with computers, but DVD
    players are an entirely new animal to me. I do not have a DVD burner on
    my computer.

    Suzanne, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Suzanne

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:20:11 -0500, Suzanne <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:11:59 -0500, Suzanne <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I ordered a DVD from Amazon.co.uk for a Christmas gift (I'm in Florida),
    >>>and just realized that it is Region 2 PAL format. My player only plays
    >>>Region 1. I know I can just return it, but it's an excellent DVD of
    >>>Formula One footage that my husband would love to have.
    >>>
    >>>Are there any companies that convert PAL to NTSC? I used to be able to
    >>> have it done with tapes, but I don't know if the PAL to NTSC DVD
    >>>conversion is done regularly (or legally).
    >>>
    >>>I do not have a DVD burner on my computer, so there is no way I could do
    >>>it myself. Other than finding a brilliant hacker in town, does anyone
    >>>know how I could convert this DVD? Thanks--any input appreciated.

    >> Depending on the make and model of your DVD player it might be
    >> possible to make it region-free. I did that with mine by a simple
    >> procedure using the remote.

    >I found a forum with a hack for the DVD player (Zenith DVB412). It
    >involves downloading a zip file, burning a CD and inserting into the DVD
    >player.
    >
    >This sounds simple. My question is how safe is it to open a zip file
    >downloaded from the net? The virus issue? If I then insert the burned CD
    >into the DVD player and change a setting, am I screwing the player up
    >permanently? I'm pretty technologically savvy with computers, but DVD
    >players are an entirely new animal to me. I do not have a DVD burner on
    >my computer.

    I sincerely hope you are not running a computer, accessing the Net,
    etc, with no anti-virus? Normally you are safe if you are downloading
    from a reputable site. Scan the zip file after it is downloaded.

    GraB, Dec 9, 2004
  10. GraB wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:20:11 -0500, Suzanne <> wrote:
    >

    >>GraB wrote:

    >>>Depending on the make and model of your DVD player it might be
    >>>possible to make it region-free. I did that with mine by a simple
    >>>procedure using the remote.

    >>I found a forum with a hack for the DVD player (Zenith DVB412). It
    >>involves downloading a zip file, burning a CD and inserting into the DVD
    >>player.
    >>
    >>This sounds simple. My question is how safe is it to open a zip file
    >>downloaded from the net? The virus issue? If I then insert the burned CD
    >>into the DVD player and change a setting, am I screwing the player up
    >>permanently? I'm pretty technologically savvy with computers, but DVD
    >>players are an entirely new animal to me. I do not have a DVD burner on
    >>my computer.

    > I sincerely hope you are not running a computer, accessing the Net,
    > etc, with no anti-virus? Normally you are safe if you are downloading
    > from a reputable site. Scan the zip file after it is downloaded.

    Or check the md5sum matches a known-good one.

    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 9, 2004
  11. Suzanne

    Buchetamo Guest

    It's my understanding that regional codes have NOTHING to do with NTSC or
    PAL or SECAM formats. If the DVD you bought was produced under the PAL
    format, it can be played in DVD players which are compatible; that capable
    of playing both formats (PAL & NTSC). Most, if not 100%, of DVD players, VHS
    players, TV sets sold in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc are compatible
    PAL & NTSC. Geographical regions, I believe, are allocated by producers of
    movies, I gather mainly in the US, to protect releases of movies in
    different countries & of course, as usual, to protect their investments.

    Buchetamo, Dec 9, 2004
  12. Buchetamo wrote:
    >> "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>Another possibility if the original poster has a DVD burner on a
    >>computer is that you could rip the disc and then reburn the DVD. You
    >>will most likely lose quality, but it's simple to do. Instructions on
    >>the process are on the same site at the database.

    > It's my understanding that regional codes have NOTHING to do with NTSC or
    > PAL or SECAM formats. If the DVD you bought was produced under the PAL
    > format, it can be played in DVD players which are compatible; that

    capable
    > of playing both formats (PAL & NTSC). Most, if not 100%, of DVD

    players, VHS
    > players, TV sets sold in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc are

    compatible
    > PAL & NTSC. Geographical regions, I believe, are allocated by

    producers of
    > movies, I gather mainly in the US, to protect releases of movies in
    > different countries & of course, as usual, to protect their investments.

    I was suggesting to rip the DVD and reburn in order to remove the region
    code (at the very least) and change from PAL to NTSC. Most US
    televisions will not accept anything but NTSC, and chances are even if
    the player can bypass region lock it may not be able to perform the PAL
    to NTSC conversion (there's a difference in framerate, etc.). The loss
    of quality would most likely occur if the original disc was dual layer
    and the burner is not.

    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 9, 2004
  13. Suzanne

    Buchetamo Guest

    > Buchetamo wrote:
    > >> "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >>Another possibility if the original poster has a DVD burner on a
    > >>computer is that you could rip the disc and then reburn the DVD. You
    > >>will most likely lose quality, but it's simple to do. Instructions on
    > >>the process are on the same site at the database.

    > > It's my understanding that regional codes have NOTHING to do with NTSC

    or
    > > PAL or SECAM formats. If the DVD you bought was produced under the PAL
    > > format, it can be played in DVD players which are compatible; that

    > capable
    > > of playing both formats (PAL & NTSC). Most, if not 100%, of DVD

    > players, VHS
    > > players, TV sets sold in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc are

    > compatible
    > > PAL & NTSC. Geographical regions, I believe, are allocated by

    > producers of
    > > movies, I gather mainly in the US, to protect releases of movies in
    > > different countries & of course, as usual, to protect their

    investments.

    > I was suggesting to rip the DVD and reburn in order to remove the region
    > code (at the very least) and change from PAL to NTSC. Most US
    > televisions will not accept anything but NTSC, and chances are even if
    > the player can bypass region lock it may not be able to perform the PAL
    > to NTSC conversion (there's a difference in framerate, etc.). The loss
    > of quality would most likely occur if the original disc was dual layer
    > and the burner is not.

    About a month ago I bought a CD called DVD Unlocker at Ebay. It's amazing,
    it tells you how to turn your DVD stand alone player into a Region Free, in
    other words capable of playing DVDs from any region. It cost me less than
    US$20 incl. postage. The way it works is simple: it includes many DVD brands
    & within each brand different models, then it tells you what to do. It
    consists in pressing a combination of numbers & keys with your remote
    control... does it work? yes, indeed it does. Of course, if your brand
    and/or model is not included in the list, too bad.

    Buchetamo, Dec 9, 2004
  14. Buchetamo wrote:

    >>I was suggesting to rip the DVD and reburn in order to remove the region
    >>code (at the very least) and change from PAL to NTSC. Most US
    >>televisions will not accept anything but NTSC, and chances are even if
    >>the player can bypass region lock it may not be able to perform the PAL
    >>to NTSC conversion (there's a difference in framerate, etc.). The loss
    >>of quality would most likely occur if the original disc was dual layer
    >>and the burner is not.

    > About a month ago I bought a CD called DVD Unlocker at Ebay. It's amazing,
    > it tells you how to turn your DVD stand alone player into a Region Free, in
    > other words capable of playing DVDs from any region. It cost me less than
    > US$20 incl. postage. The way it works is simple: it includes many DVD brands
    > & within each brand different models, then it tells you what to do. It
    > consists in pressing a combination of numbers & keys with your remote
    > control... does it work? yes, indeed it does. Of course, if your brand
    > and/or model is not included in the list, too bad.

    Hmm, haven't heard of that before, interesting. On the flip side I'd
    bet money every code on there could be found on the web (try the website
    I mentioned earlier in the thread).

    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 9, 2004
  15. Suzanne

    Suzanne Guest

    Buchetamo wrote:
    > It's my understanding that regional codes have NOTHING to do with NTSC or
    > PAL or SECAM formats. If the DVD you bought was produced under the PAL
    > format, it can be played in DVD players which are compatible; that capable
    > of playing both formats (PAL & NTSC). Most, if not 100%, of DVD players, VHS
    > players, TV sets sold in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc are compatible
    > PAL & NTSC. Geographical regions, I believe, are allocated by producers of
    > movies, I gather mainly in the US, to protect releases of movies in
    > different countries & of course, as usual, to protect their investments.
    > "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message

    I am somewhat confused about this issue after researching it a bit.
    I've read that you can bypass the region codes, but it will not matter
    if your tv does not accept the PAL format. (I have a six-year-old
    Toshiba tv, and I don't know if the modernity of the tv applies or not).

    I have been looking at the region-free dvd players and some say they
    convert from PAL to NTSC. So I don't know know if just hacking your
    player and setting the region to 0 will also allow the PAL format to be
    played on a US tv.

    There actually seem to be opposing views about whether tvs will play PAL
    after hacking the player. Some people insist it will, some insist it
    won't. This isn't social theory--it's technology, so it would seem
    there must be a definite answer of yes or no.

    Suzanne, Dec 9, 2004
  16. Suzanne

    NSM Guest

    "Suzanne" <> wrote in message news:...

    | I am somewhat confused about this issue after researching it a bit.
    | I've read that you can bypass the region codes, but it will not matter
    | if your tv does not accept the PAL format. (I have a six-year-old
    | Toshiba tv, and I don't know if the modernity of the tv applies or not).
    |
    | I have been looking at the region-free dvd players and some say they
    | convert from PAL to NTSC. So I don't know know if just hacking your
    | player and setting the region to 0 will also allow the PAL format to be
    | played on a US tv.
    |
    | There actually seem to be opposing views about whether tvs will play PAL
    | after hacking the player. Some people insist it will, some insist it
    | won't. This isn't social theory--it's technology, so it would seem
    | there must be a definite answer of yes or no.

    Fundamentally, an NTSC TV will not display PAL signals of any sort. However,
    it is possible to have a DVD player that can display PAL DVDs on an NTSC TV.
    Just don't believe the salesman.

    NSM, Dec 10, 2004
  17. Suzanne

    Buchetamo Guest

    "Suzanne" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Buchetamo wrote:
    > > It's my understanding that regional codes have NOTHING to do with NTSC

    or
    > > PAL or SECAM formats. If the DVD you bought was produced under the PAL
    > > format, it can be played in DVD players which are compatible; that

    capable
    > > of playing both formats (PAL & NTSC). Most, if not 100%, of DVD players,

    VHS
    > > players, TV sets sold in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc are

    compatible
    > > PAL & NTSC. Geographical regions, I believe, are allocated by producers

    of
    > > movies, I gather mainly in the US, to protect releases of movies in
    > > different countries & of course, as usual, to protect their investments.
    > > "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > I am somewhat confused about this issue after researching it a bit.
    > I've read that you can bypass the region codes, but it will not matter
    > if your tv does not accept the PAL format. (I have a six-year-old
    > Toshiba tv, and I don't know if the modernity of the tv applies or not).
    >
    > I have been looking at the region-free dvd players and some say they
    > convert from PAL to NTSC. So I don't know know if just hacking your
    > player and setting the region to 0 will also allow the PAL format to be
    > played on a US tv.
    >
    > There actually seem to be opposing views about whether tvs will play PAL
    > after hacking the player. Some people insist it will, some insist it
    > won't. This isn't social theory--it's technology, so it would seem
    > there must be a definite answer of yes or no

    Certainly this is confusing, let me see if I can add something that'll help
    clarify this issue: I have two stand alone DVD players, one is a Sony Model
    DVP-NS305, bought in Australia (PAL), in the Operation Instructions booklet,
    last page (69), under Specifications, it says Signal Format System: NTSC/PAL
    (see page 16 to switch). I gather that's is clear enough. I've watched NTSC
    DVDs in this player, in fact last week watched a Rodney Dangerfield movie
    bought in LA, without having to switch anything. My TV set is compatible
    NTSC/PAL & so is my VHS.
    The other DVD Player I own is a LG, a combo(Model V782W), DVD Player/Video
    Cassette Player/Recorder. Also bought in Australia & originally set to play
    only PAL; but I got the "magic numbers" & following instructions using my
    remote control, I can now play NTSC as well & this unit is now "region
    free". What do you make of this... I don't really know, but there you are...
    I gave the "magic numbers" to someone else & it also worked in his LG
    similar model.
    I'd agree with your coment regarding the TV set. I'm not sure but I gather
    the TV set should also be capable of playing both systems.

    Buchetamo, Dec 10, 2004
  18. Suzanne

    Camper Guest

    "Buchetamo" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > DVDs in this player, in fact last week watched a Rodney Dangerfield movie
    > bought in LA, without having to switch anything. My TV set is compatible
    > NTSC/PAL & so is my VHS.
    > The other DVD Player I own is a LG, a combo(Model V782W), DVD Player/Video
    > Cassette Player/Recorder. Also bought in Australia & originally set to
    > play
    > only PAL; but I got the "magic numbers" & following instructions using my
    > remote control, I can now play NTSC as well & this unit is now "region
    > free". What do you make of this... I don't really know, but there you
    > are...
    > I gave the "magic numbers" to someone else & it also worked in his LG
    > similar model.
    > I'd agree with your coment regarding the TV set. I'm not sure but I gather
    > the TV set should also be capable of playing both systems.

    Making it region free has nothing to do whether it can also read NTSC format
    videos. Obviously your LG could read both PAL and NTSC. Of course it could
    not read NTSC DVDs if they were the wrong region. And not all TVs can do
    both Pal and NTSC. In australia most can but the yanks are not so lucky.

    Camper, Dec 10, 2004
  19. In article <>, Suzanne <> wrote:
    >Buchetamo wrote:
    >> It's my understanding that regional codes have NOTHING to do with NTSC or
    >> PAL or SECAM formats. If the DVD you bought was produced under the PAL
    >> format, it can be played in DVD players which are compatible; that capable
    >> of playing both formats (PAL & NTSC). Most, if not 100%, of DVD players, VHS
    >> players, TV sets sold in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc are compatible
    >> PAL & NTSC. Geographical regions, I believe, are allocated by producers of
    >> movies, I gather mainly in the US, to protect releases of movies in
    >> different countries & of course, as usual, to protect their investments.
    >> "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >I am somewhat confused about this issue after researching it a bit.
    >I've read that you can bypass the region codes, but it will not matter
    >if your tv does not accept the PAL format. (I have a six-year-old
    >Toshiba tv, and I don't know if the modernity of the tv applies or not).
    >
    >I have been looking at the region-free dvd players and some say they
    >convert from PAL to NTSC. So I don't know know if just hacking your
    >player and setting the region to 0 will also allow the PAL format to be
    >played on a US tv.

    >There actually seem to be opposing views about whether tvs will
    >play PAL after hacking the player. Some people insist it will,
    >some insist it won't. This isn't social theory--it's technology,
    >so it would seem there must be a definite answer of yes or no.

    My Philips DVDs have been set to region free and to always play
    NTSC no matter what the native format of the DVD is.

    THe older 724 had some problems with displayiing the English
    intertitles on a region 4 PAL silent - they would slip down about
    1/4 screen. The new 642 I got at K-Mart a month or so ago
    handles PAL to NTSC flawlessly.

    Four keystroked to make it region free. And it's a standard setup
    in the Philips machines to lock the output to a prefered setting,
    PAL or NTSC, while the default it to output in the fromat of
    the disk.

    I beleive most European TVs will play either NTSC or PAL, but the
    ones sold in NA almost always play NTSC only - so you just set
    the output of the DVD to be in that format.

    That means you must make sure you have a player that does that.

    I've only used 4 different players and all had that option.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Dec 13, 2004
  20. Suzanne

    Suzanne Guest

    I just want to thank everyone who replied to this post, and especially
    the poster who turned me onto videohelp.com.

    I downloaded a zip file I found through a forum there, burned a CD, put
    it in my DVD player and voila--the region code appeared. I changed it
    to 0, put in my PAL, Region 2 DVD and it plays beautifully!

    I probably would have stupidly had the dvd converted for $50 had I not
    learned of the whole Region code issue. And I can't believe I hacked my
    player just like that!

    Suzanne, Dec 14, 2004