    Does this make sense to anybody? Seems too weird to be a mis-recollection...
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Jul 18, 2004

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    Gilgamesh Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can't find the manuals in question, but it seems to me like one of them

    for my
    > Sony products said that if a disk from a different region were inserted

    that it
    > would be played but an internal counter would then be incremented.
    >
    > X different regions: and something bad happens - can't recall whether the

    device
    > was to become inop or just frozen at the last region.
    >
    > Does this make sense to anybody? Seems too weird to be a

    mis-recollection...
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    This is for DVD Drives in PCs.
    After 5 region changes they lock into the last region.
    Though depending on the drice you may be able to get some unofficial
    firmware to remove that but it is not supported by manufacturers and your
    drive could end up US.

    Gilgamesh, Jul 19, 2004

  3. "Gilgamesh" <> wrote in message
    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > > Can't find the manuals in question, but it seems to me like one of them

    > for my
    > > Sony products said that if a disk from a different region were inserted

    > that it
    > > would be played but an internal counter would then be incremented.
    > >
    > > X different regions: and something bad happens - can't recall whether

    the
    > device
    > > was to become inop or just frozen at the last region.
    > >
    > > Does this make sense to anybody? Seems too weird to be a

    > mis-recollection...
    > > --
    > > PeteCresswell

    > This is for DVD Drives in PCs.
    > After 5 region changes they lock into the last region.
    > Though depending on the drice you may be able to get some unofficial
    > firmware to remove that but it is not supported by manufacturers and your
    > drive could end up US.

    Or download DVDregionfree and cut through the whole problem in one go.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Jul 20, 2004
  4. > Or download DVDregionfree and cut through the whole problem in one go.

    Got an even better solution for the player issue: somebody who just
    visited China bought me a Chinese player that is region-independent.

    Another nice feature on it is "Direct Play" - hit that button and it
    bypasses all the stern warnings, trailers, advertisements and other BS
    - gets right down to playing the movie. Probably illegal, but it sure
    is convenient.

    All I have to do now is memorize what all the Mandarin characters on
    the remote mean...-)

    PeteCresswell, Aug 9, 2004