    Thanks much!

    --
    Jim S.

    Jim S., Dec 5, 2004

  2. Jim S.

    DVDfanatico Guest

    I own CyberHomes (www.cyberhome.com) and for about $40 at Target you can buy
    the progressive scan CH-DVD 320. It does NTSC/PAL conversion and can be made
    region free via remote code. Their portable CH-LDV 712 can also be made region
    free via remote.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

    DVDfanatico, Dec 5, 2004

  3. On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:06:57 -0600, "Jim S."
    <> wrote:

    >I live in the U.S. and I am seeking a good out-of-the-box region-free
    >DVD player. The one I see talked about the most is the Philips 642/ 37
    >Region Free - Code free DIVX PAL NTSC DVD Player. On Amazon.com, some
    >have claimed that this player is NOT region free (and the online manual
    >says Region 1 and All Region only), while others say it works great out
    >of the box. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? If there
    >are any other region-free players I should be looking at as well, I'd
    >love to hear of them, too.
    >
    >Thanks much!

    I would suggest that you purchase a properly modified quality player
    such as the JVC-XV-N510. I have had no problems of any sort, after two
    years, with my model purchase from Zone Free DVD. Recommended.

    http://www.zonefreedvd.com/codefreedvd/xvn510b.html

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Jim S.

    N2 Guest

    "Charles Eggen" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:06:57 -0600, "Jim S."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I live in the U.S. and I am seeking a good out-of-the-box region-free
    >>DVD player. The one I see talked about the most is the Philips 642/ 37
    >>Region Free - Code free DIVX PAL NTSC DVD Player. On Amazon.com, some
    >>have claimed that this player is NOT region free (and the online manual
    >>says Region 1 and All Region only), while others say it works great out
    >>of the box. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? If there
    >>are any other region-free players I should be looking at as well, I'd
    >>love to hear of them, too.
    >>
    >>Thanks much!

    > I would suggest that you purchase a properly modified quality player
    > such as the JVC-XV-N510. I have had no problems of any sort, after two
    > years, with my model purchase from Zone Free DVD. Recommended.
    >
    > http://www.zonefreedvd.com/codefreedvd/xvn510b.html
    >
    > Charles
    > nzvideos.org

    Hmm. I was on the verge of purchasing the Phillips player myself, for $70
    US. What makes this one worth more than 4 times the price? Especially
    since it's from Thompson Electronics (RCA, etc...)

    N2, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Jim S.

    jayembee Guest

    "Jim S." <> wrote:

    > I live in the U.S. and I am seeking a good out-of-the-box region-free
    > DVD player. The one I see talked about the most is the Philips 642/ 37
    > Region Free - Code free DIVX PAL NTSC DVD Player. On Amazon.com, some
    > have claimed that this player is NOT region free (and the online manual
    > says Region 1 and All Region only), while others say it works great out
    > of the box. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this?

    My girlfriend and I have one, and it works great. Whether it's region
    free "right out of the box" depends on what you mean "right out of the
    box".

    You can't just take it out of the box, hook up all the connections,
    and just start playing non-R1 discs, if that's what you mean. But you
    can make it region free through the remote. Power it on, open the
    tray, then punch in (with the remote) "7 8 9", then "OK", then "0".
    and it'll be region free.

    It also converts PAL to NTSC. The owner's manual claims that it
    doesn't convert anamorphic PAL properly, but I've tried a couple of
    anamorphic PAL discs, and they display properly.

    And it plays DVDr. VCD, SVCD, DivX, and XviD discs fine.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Jim S.

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    DVDfanatico <> wrote:

    >>I live in the U.S. and I am seeking a good out-of-the-box region-free
    >>DVD player. The one I see talked about the most is the Philips 642/ 37
    >>Region Free - Code free DIVX PAL NTSC DVD Player. On Amazon.com, some
    >>have claimed that this player is NOT region free (and the online manual
    >>says Region 1 and All Region only), while others say it works great out
    >>of the box. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? If there
    >>are any other region-free players I should be looking at as well, I'd
    >>love to hear of them, too.
    >>
    >>Thanks much!
    >>
    >>--

    >I own CyberHomes (www.cyberhome.com) and for about $40 at Target you can buy
    >the progressive scan CH-DVD 320. It does NTSC/PAL conversion and can be made
    >region free via remote code. Their portable CH-LDV 712 can also be made region
    >free via remote.

    Difficult to generalize, as these have entirely different guts every few
    months, but be aware they are disposible; typically fail after about a
    year due to:

    1. Cheap spindle motor (no ball bearings) which binds, causing the disc
    not to spin any more. Depends, of course, on how much you use it.

    2. Power supply with "Chinese capacitor syndrome"; cheap electrolyte leaks
    and output voltage drops rendering the player non-functional. Degeneration
    occurs all the time it is plugged in, as the power supply is ALWAYS
    carrying current; the power switch is actually a 'standby' switch.

    3. Ribbon cable from laser pickup bends and breaks.

    Also the CH-DVD 320 is Target stores' special label for the generic CH-DVD
    300 simply for protection against price wars.

    Mike S., Dec 7, 2004
  7. Phillips 642/37 "No Disc" message (was Re: Region Free players?)

    After my son performed the "Region Free" hack (which worked beautifully!), the
    player no longer plays Region 1 dvds from major companies like Paramount,
    Universal, etc., though it plays Tai Seng and other smaller companies' Region 1
    dvds with no problem. I get a "no disc" message for the major-company dvds!
    This is even after resetting the region to "1" instead of "0".
    Is there a workaround, or do I need to get another player just to play Region 1
    dvds?

    Thanks in advance,

    Gawain the Exec, Dec 15, 2004
  8. Re: Phillips 642/37 "No Disc" message (was Re: Region Free players?)

    In article <>,
    Gawain the Exec <> wrote:

    >After my son performed the "Region Free" hack (which worked beautifully!), the
    >player no longer plays Region 1 dvds from major companies like Paramount,
    >Universal, etc., though it plays Tai Seng and other smaller companies' Region 1
    >dvds with no problem. I get a "no disc" message for the major-company dvds!
    >This is even after resetting the region to "1" instead of "0".
    >Is there a workaround, or do I need to get another player just to play Region 1
    >dvds?

    Sounds like it's not happy with RCE.

    But what hack? For me it was just a couple of buttons on the
    remote. ISTR it was 7 8 OK 0 - but check the web site to be
    sure.

    I get no problems with anything I sting in my 642>

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Dec 16, 2004
  9. Re: Phillips 642/37 "No Disc" message (was Re: Region Free players?)

    Gawain the Exec wrote:
    >>After my son performed the "Region Free" hack (which worked beautifully!),

    the player no longer plays Region 1 dvds from major companies like Paramount,
    Universal, etc., though it plays Tai Seng and other smaller companies' Region 1
    dvds with no problem. I get a "no disc" message for the major-company dvds!
    This is even after resetting the region to "1" instead of "0".
    Is there a workaround, or do I need to get another player just to play Region 1
    dvds?<<

    Bill Vermillion the Wise uttered...
    >Sounds like it's not happy with RCE.

    But what hack? For me it was just a couple of buttons on the remote. ISTR it
    was 7 8 OK 0 - but check the web site to be sure.
    I get no problems with anything I sting in my 642<

    That was the remote hack he did. Simple but effective.

    "Not reading RCE discs" seems to be the correct description of the problem.
    Thanks for that analysis, Bill.
    Now that we know the disease, is there a cure? ;-)

    Gawain the Exec, Dec 16, 2004
  10. Jim S.

    Starz_Kid Guest

    "Gawain the Exec" <> wrote in message
    > Gawain the Exec wrote:
    > >>After my son performed the "Region Free" hack (which worked

    beautifully!),
    > the player no longer plays Region 1 dvds from major companies like

    Paramount,
    > Universal, etc., though it plays Tai Seng and other smaller companies'

    Region 1
    > dvds with no problem. I get a "no disc" message for the major-company

    dvds!
    > This is even after resetting the region to "1" instead of "0".
    > Is there a workaround, or do I need to get another player just to play

    Region 1
    > dvds?<<
    >
    > Bill Vermillion the Wise uttered...
    > >Sounds like it's not happy with RCE.

    > But what hack? For me it was just a couple of buttons on the remote.

    ISTR it
    > was 7 8 OK 0 - but check the web site to be sure.
    > I get no problems with anything I sting in my 642<
    >
    > That was the remote hack he did. Simple but effective.
    >
    > "Not reading RCE discs" seems to be the correct description of the

    problem.
    > Thanks for that analysis, Bill.
    > Now that we know the disease, is there a cure? ;-)

    Hello G., Here is the REMOTE hack from the DVDR help site...:

    1. Turn on the player.
    2. Open the tray.
    3. Press the following sequence on the remote: 7 8 9 OK 0
    4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
    5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy! :)

    NOTE: The 0 in the sequence above represents the region code. 0 = region
    free. If you want to change your player to just a specific region code,
    replace the 0 with the region number you want.

    Let us all know if it works...!

    Starz_Kid...

    Starz_Kid, Dec 17, 2004
  11. Re: Phillips 642/37 "No Disc" message (was Re: Region Free players?)

    In article <>,
    Gawain the Exec <> wrote:
    >Gawain the Exec wrote:
    >>>After my son performed the "Region Free" hack (which worked beautifully!),

    >the player no longer plays Region 1 dvds from major companies like Paramount,
    >Universal, etc., though it plays Tai Seng and other smaller companies' Region 1
    >dvds with no problem. I get a "no disc" message for the major-company dvds!
    >This is even after resetting the region to "1" instead of "0".
    >Is there a workaround, or do I need to get another player just to play Region 1
    >dvds?<<
    >
    >Bill Vermillion the Wise uttered...
    >>Sounds like it's not happy with RCE.

    >But what hack? For me it was just a couple of buttons on the
    >remote. ISTR it was 7 8 OK 0 - but check the web site to be sure.
    >I get no problems with anything I sting in my 642<

    >That was the remote hack he did. Simple but effective.

    >"Not reading RCE discs" seems to be the correct description of
    >the problem. Thanks for that analysis, Bill. Now that we know the
    >disease, is there a cure? ;-)

    I'l have to try an RCE on my 642.

    I know one disk I have does have RCE as when I put it in my
    Apex 600A it accused me of modifying the hardware and stopped short
    of calling me names :)

    But when I got my Philips 724 ?? [727] setting region 0 and
    NTSC output and widescreen [ the only things I've changed from
    default] it played just fine.

    I just checked that on my 642. No problems. I suspect many of my
    discs have RCE and I do have many from Universal and Paramount.

    But the only time I ever had a problem was the one time with the
    Apex-600A - and Iset it back to region 1 to play, and then I moved
    to the 72?. The 642 handles the PAL > NTSC conversion better than
    the old ones.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Dec 21, 2004
  12. Jim S.

    Guest

    Re: Phillips 642/37 "No Disc" message (was Re: Region Free players?)

    hello dvd hack-sters

    i tried the 7 8 9 ok 0 hack on my set, and it plays my zone 2 stuff
    beautifully --- for about three minutes, then freezes up completely.

    it does this with all of my dvds. i don't know what to do
    any hints?

    best

    alex

    , Jan 9, 2005