    Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to Region 1
    :)

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Feb 29, 2004

  2. I've heard and read positive reviews on the JVC's:
    http://www.220-electronics.com/

    Momitsu fits your bill too:

    https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvdplayer/main_frame.htm

    The new Shinco at the above site looks interesting too.

    As for Malata, I own a DVD-N996, one of the first Region-Free players to
    correctly output a 16:9 PAL DVD to a NTSC TV. Read more about the
    Malata's at http://www.nerd-out.com/ Someone else recently asked about
    the 558 there, but, has yet to receive a reply.

    TailgunnerJoe, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Video Flyer

    Karl S Guest

    Karl S, Feb 29, 2004
  4. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 03:17:07 GMT, Video Flyer <> wrote:

    >I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
    >output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.
    >
    >And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
    >familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable player?
    >
    >Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to Region 1
    >:)
    >
    >Neal

    About a year ago, I purchased a modified JVC XV-S500 from:

    http://www.zonefreedvd.com/

    I have had no problems, of any kind, and it plays all zones, NTSC or
    PAL, faithfully on my 48" Mitsubishi HDTV. Understand that you must be
    feeding it to an NTSC or multisystem TV. I just checked the
    zonefreedvd website and it would appear that their current equiv.
    would be a modified JVC XV N44. Their price is $339 + shipping. This
    unit has a progressive scan output, as well as component and composite
    It also plays the new CD-R/RW recordable CD formats,DVD-R, DVD+RW,
    DVD-RW SVCD, VCD, JPEG, WMA and MP3 formats.

    Cheers,

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Feb 29, 2004
  5. be sure to check your selection out at epinions.com before you buy.
    PL

    Video Flyer <> wrote:

    >I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
    >output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.
    >
    >And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
    >familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable player?
    >
    >Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to Region 1
    >:)
    >
    >Neal

    Paul Lefebvre
    plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul Lefebvre, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Video Flyer

    el stinky Guest

    Video Flyer wrote:
    > I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
    > output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.
    >
    > And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
    > familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable
    > player?
    >
    > Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to
    > Region 1 :)
    >
    > Neal

    i am WAY more than happy about my cyberhome CH DVD500 which i have had since
    nov 2002, cost me 60 bucks and plays everything but tortillas. Region Hack
    is easy, also macrovision disable if need be. NTSC, PAL, will run on 220 if
    you want to bring it across the pond. get em at frys.

    http://store.arguselectronics.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=803

    el stinky, Mar 2, 2004
  7. Video Flyer

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:17:07 -0500, Video Flyer wrote
    (in message <BC66B5D2.9185%>):

    > I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
    > output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.

    The best tool for buying a new DVD player, especially if you've got specific
    needs like region free and PAL to NTSC conversion, is http://www.dvdrhelp.com

    My brother bought a DVD player for me for Christmas, I took it back to Best
    Buy to exchange for a region free version. Well, they stopped carrying the
    model I wanted, so, like a total idiot, I asked the floor salesmen for help.
    The guy I talked to had no clue, but honestly tried to look something up on
    the computer.

    He asked someone else for help, who loudly announced (as though I weren't
    standing right there) "Absolutely not. I know for a fact we don't carry
    *ANYTHING* that will play any kind of foreign disc."

    I went back home and using bestbuy.com and dvdrhelp.com, I managed to find
    half a dozen DVD players that fit my needs (PAL to NTSC conversion with
    possible region free mods).

    As much as I love my brother, I absolutely hate being forced to go back and
    forth to Worst Buy. That place is clueless.

    I just realized I'm supposed to be helping you find a new DVD player, and
    here I am ranting about my bad shopping experience. My apologies. I hope that
    site helps you out.

    Cernovog, Mar 2, 2004