Region codes-What can I Do?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by t2_lurking, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. t2_lurking

    t2_lurking Guest

    I have just found a DVD I have wanted for years (Edge of Darkness, Bob Peck,
    J Whalley, etc..) but it's at amazon.uk and it's a region 2 DVD.
    I live in the US and I understand that my DVD player will not play region 2,
    but if I buy it is there some way involving a PC that I can convert it to a
    region 1?
    Plus there's the PAL - NTSC thing, right? If I bought a cheapo DVD region 2
    player it still wouldn't work, correct?

    TIA

    t2_lurking
    geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom
    Do not mail to t2_lurking (auto-delete)
    ============================
    Well, i dreamed i saw the silver
    Space ships flying
    In the yellow haze of the sun
    -- Neil Young --
    t2_lurking, Dec 2, 2003

  2. t2_lurking

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "t2_lurking" <> wrote in message
    > I have just found a DVD I have wanted for years (Edge of Darkness, Bob

    Peck,
    > J Whalley, etc..) but it's at amazon.uk and it's a region 2 DVD.
    > I live in the US and I understand that my DVD player will not play

    region 2,
    > but if I buy it is there some way involving a PC that I can convert it

    to a
    > region 1?
    > Plus there's the PAL - NTSC thing, right? If I bought a cheapo DVD

    region 2
    > player it still wouldn't work, correct?

    You need to buy a DVD player that is region-free and will convert PAL to
    NTSC. This site can help:

    http://www.dvdrhelp.com
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 2, 2003

  3. t2_lurking

    Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:33:03 -0600, "t2_lurking"
    <> wrote:

    >I have just found a DVD I have wanted for years (Edge of Darkness, Bob Peck,
    >J Whalley, etc..) but it's at amazon.uk and it's a region 2 DVD.
    >I live in the US and I understand that my DVD player will not play region 2,
    >but if I buy it is there some way involving a PC that I can convert it to a
    >region 1?
    >Plus there's the PAL - NTSC thing, right? If I bought a cheapo DVD region 2
    >player it still wouldn't work, correct?
    >
    >TIA
    >--

    Send it to me I will convert it for you free. And return your disc,
    then you can sell it on eBay.
    , Dec 2, 2003
  4. t2_lurking

    Cernovog Guest

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 0:02:30 -0500, Joshua Zyber wrote
    (in message <G1Vyb.1015$>):

    > You need to buy a DVD player that is region-free and will convert PAL to
    > NTSC. This site can help:
    >
    > http://www.dvdrhelp.com

    That would be my advice. You beat me to it, Josh.

    DVDRhelp.com is a very useful site with a comprehensive listing of DVD
    players and their capabilities. Many of them have easy hacks or undocumented
    remote control commands that will enable multi-region play.
    Cernovog, Dec 2, 2003
  5. t2_lurking

    t2_lurking Guest

    Thanks for the help and the link.

    t2_lurking, Dec 2, 2003
  6. t2_lurking

    t2_lurking Guest

    Thanks to both for the link, most illuminating.

    t2_lurking
    geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom
    Do not mail to t2_lurking (auto-delete)
    ===============================
    The Joy that isn't shared, I've heard,
    dies young.
    ---- Anne Sexton ----

    t2_lurking, Dec 2, 2003
  7. t2_lurking

    t2_lurking Guest

    Thanks for the offer, but I may have friend who has DVDXcopy just make me a
    regionless one. I wouldn't want to sell it, trying to be good before xmas,
    santa's watching and all. 8))
    --

    t2_lurking
    geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom
    Do not mail to t2_lurking (auto-delete)
    ============================
    Roadrunner... the Coyote's after you
    Roadrunner... if he catches you you're through!
    ============================

    t2_lurking, Dec 2, 2003
  8. t2_lurking

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <bqircf$22rr2l$-berlin.de> in
    alt.video.dvd, t2_lurking <> wrote:
    >Thanks for the offer, but I may have friend who has DVDXcopy just make me a
    >regionless one. I wouldn't want to sell it, trying to be good before xmas,
    >santa's watching and all. 8))

    makes it harder to follow discussions.
    before the material you're commenting on, it
    When you put your comments

    http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#upside

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Dec 3, 2003