Region-coded DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Max Volume, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Max Volume

    Max Volume Guest

    Okay people, let's put this to rest. You CAN region-code a freakin'
    DVD-R. I just did it. I wasted a fucking disc just to prove a point.
    Namely, that just because no Windows app you happened to have
    downloaded from Kazaa supports region coding, it doesn't mean it can't
    be done. Just get some real fucking tools and ignore what your friends
    say about Macs.

    The details are these -- I had a DVD Studio Pro project sitting on my
    hard drive, so I started the program, loaded the project, DE-SELECTED
    Region 1, then SELECTED Region 2, making the disc REGION 2 ONLY!!!

    After the build & burn was finished, I re-inserted the disc into my
    iMac. DVD Player started, then informed me that the region code on the
    disc (2) did not match the region code of my drive (1) and that I had
    used up all my region code changes. I then popped the disc into my
    APEX AD-500W, and it confirmed that the disc had in fact been
    region-coded. I'm sure once I get my region-free chip it'll play fine,
    but for the moment I just get the message "WRONG REGION".

    Now would you kindly pass this information along to Mr. Ed,
    dvdhelp.com, and any other idiot who assumes that just because the
    so-called "authoring software" on your PC won't do something, it must
    be impossible. If that were the case, stuff like seamless branching,
    multiple angles, and timeouts would all be impossible on DVD-R, and I
    can assure you they're not.

    CSS is one feature that is not available with DVD-R (for obvious
    reasons), but it does seem possible to enable Macrovision protection.
    I have yet to test that theory, but I haven't any need to record from
    DVD onto VHS. Just to potentially silence still more idiots out there,
    I'll be giving that a try sometime soon.

    For anyone who'd like to try this themselves, or has problems
    duplicating my results, I used a maxell 4.7GB DVD-R for General, DVD
    Studio Pro 1.5, NTSC program material including an intro video and two
    still menus with animated transitions, and the DVD-R drive in my iMac
    is the newer Hitachi drive.

    Enjoy region-coding those DVD-Rs, and maybe now the misinformed or
    simply ignorant will see the light.
    Max Volume, Oct 1, 2003

  2. On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:06:53 GMT, Max Volume
    <> wrote:

    >Okay people, let's put this to rest. You CAN region-code a freakin'
    >DVD-R. I just did it. I wasted a fucking disc just to prove a point.
    >Namely, that just because no Windows app you happened to have
    >downloaded from Kazaa supports region coding, it doesn't mean it can't
    >be done. Just get some real fucking tools and ignore what your friends
    >say about Macs.

    That's my point, it CAN be region-coded but not with a simple
    authoring program and by accident. Thank You.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 1, 2003

  3. Max Volume

    Nic Guest

    DVD Decrypter can region code DVD files that are already on the computer.
    Putting the video_ts.ifo in ifoedit to check the region code works.
    Nic, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Max Volume

    Smaug69 Guest

    Max Volume <> wrote in message news:<011020030508425300%>...
    > Okay people, let's put this to rest. You CAN region-code a freakin'
    > DVD-R. I just did it. I wasted a fucking disc just to prove a point.
    > Namely, that just because no Windows app you happened to have
    > downloaded from Kazaa supports region coding, it doesn't mean it can't
    > be done. Just get some real fucking tools and ignore what your friends
    > say about Macs.

    <snip>

    > Enjoy region-coding those DVD-Rs, and maybe now the misinformed or
    > simply ignorant will see the light.

    Okay, just so we are on the same page here...

    Are you saying that we don't have to have a DVD burner specifically
    designed for authoring? That any old brand and model will do? And we
    also don't have to master on DLT tape? Are you actually saying that
    any brand of DVD-R media can be region-coded if we just use a high end
    DVD software package like yours?

    So, theoretically, if I purchased a Windows program similar to your
    Mac program that I could do the same thing with my first generation
    DVD burner? Very interesting.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Max Volume

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, JazzHunter
    <> wrote:

    > That's my point, it CAN be region-coded but not with a simple
    > authoring program and by accident. Thank You.

    I never said it was an accident. The only accident would have been
    making the first disc 1/7 dual region, since I had intended to make it
    a Region 1 disc.

    Furthermore, DVD Studio Pro is hardly a simple authoring program, and
    the claim was made that it was impossible. This claim was not
    qualified by what type of software was being used, except in that it
    was the lack of this ability in Windows apps that made these morons
    assume it was simply impossible.
    Max Volume, Oct 2, 2003
  6. Max Volume

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <3f7ae1c3$0$8758$>, Nic
    <> wrote:

    > DVD Decrypter can region code DVD files that are already on the computer.
    > Putting the video_ts.ifo in ifoedit to check the region code works.

    Umm... so???
    Max Volume, Oct 2, 2003
  7. Max Volume

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Smaug69
    <> wrote:

    > Okay, just so we are on the same page here...
    >
    > Are you saying that we don't have to have a DVD burner specifically
    > designed for authoring?

    Apparently you don't -- mine is not an authoring drive, nor is the
    media.

    > That any old brand and model will do?

    I never said that. I wouldn't try this with a Lite-On or similar, but
    you never know.

    > And we
    > also don't have to master on DLT tape?

    No, just plain old DVD-R for General.

    > Are you actually saying that
    > any brand of DVD-R media can be region-coded if we just use a high end
    > DVD software package like yours?

    Did I say that? No. Come on, people, stop skirting the issue. It is
    not impossible if even ONE brand of DVD-R can be region coded. Using
    similar equipment and software, I'd guess the same results could be
    achieved, but as they say, ymmv. My point is that it's not impossible.
    That's like someone who drives a Honda making the claim that production
    cars can't go over 100MPH.

    > So, theoretically, if I purchased a Windows program similar to your
    > Mac program that I could do the same thing with my first generation
    > DVD burner? Very interesting.

    <giggle> Theoretically, yes. Problem is, now someone needs to write a
    Windows app comparable to DVD Studio Pro.
    Max Volume, Oct 2, 2003
  8. Max Volume

    Smaug69 Guest

    Max Volume <> wrote in message news:<011020032138359786%>...

    <snip>

    > Did I say that? No. Come on, people, stop skirting the issue. It is
    > not impossible if even ONE brand of DVD-R can be region coded. Using
    > similar equipment and software, I'd guess the same results could be
    > achieved, but as they say, ymmv. My point is that it's not impossible.
    > That's like someone who drives a Honda making the claim that production
    > cars can't go over 100MPH.

    It's just interesting to me that all this time(last two years or so)
    we have been told that it was a hardware issue regarding CSS,
    Macrovision and region-coding and that you had to go out of your way
    to make it happen. Now, all of a sudden, it seems that you can point
    and click your way past that limitation.

    > > So, theoretically, if I purchased a Windows program similar to your
    > > Mac program that I could do the same thing with my first generation
    > > DVD burner? Very interesting.

    > <giggle> Theoretically, yes. Problem is, now someone needs to write a
    > Windows app comparable to DVD Studio Pro.

    Well, I am not totally familiar with all the Windows-type DVD
    authoring software out there, but I heard that Vegas Video 4.0 with
    DVD authoring could do some pretty cool stuff.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Oct 2, 2003
  9. Max Volume

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Smaug69
    <> wrote:

    > It's just interesting to me that all this time(last two years or so)
    > we have been told that it was a hardware issue regarding CSS,
    > Macrovision and region-coding and that you had to go out of your way
    > to make it happen. Now, all of a sudden, it seems that you can point
    > and click your way past that limitation.

    Actually, what we've been told is that DVD-R media doesn't support
    those features. Apparently that was a bunch of crap.

    > Well, I am not totally familiar with all the Windows-type DVD
    > authoring software out there, but I heard that Vegas Video 4.0 with
    > DVD authoring could do some pretty cool stuff.

    I find it hard to believe that any video editing package that *also*
    has DVD authoring tools could do anywhere near the job DVD Studio Pro
    does.

    This should be fun -- what features have you seen on commercial DVDs
    and thought "no WAY can I do that myself" -- I'd love to shoot down
    some more common myths about DVD authoring. Even the labyrinthine
    "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone" DVD can be produced with DVD
    Studio Pro. Funny thing about DVD is that it's mostly cleverly-edited
    video clips that create all the weird menu effects you've seen.

    Here's some stuff DVD Studio Pro can do that some might not be aware is
    possible:

    Seamless branching, with the ability to set up five different "stories"

    Menu transitions -- animation, still or video menu, then more animation

    Multi-angle playback -- one track can be two different movies as long
    as they're of identical length (or you pad the shorter one with black &
    silence). You can select which one to view with a menu, and the player
    can switch both the "angle" and audio depending on which film you
    choose.

    Animated icons -- You can have icons on the screen that will jump to
    "bonus" material if you select them when they appear. Can be turned on
    and off like subtitles, which is what they are.

    Timeouts -- After a pre-determined period of idle time, a function is
    carried out.

    Navigation control -- a clip ends, and you can send the player to any
    menu, not just the main one. Make your menu slightly different than
    the main one, then after the movie is over, something can be on fire or
    day can change to night. Amazing effects can be achieved very easily.

    Video thumbnails -- six or so moving video clips on a video background

    Easter eggs -- All sorts of hidden features are possible, limited only
    by your imagination and ingenuity.

    Picture-in-picture -- create an alternate angle with insert video
    superimposed over the main feature, and by pressing the 'angle' button,
    the video "box" can be turned on and off.

    Color or black-and-white -- use the angle control to switch formats

    Widescreen or fullscreen -- similarly, non-anamorphic widescreen video
    can be one angle, and fullscreen video can be another -- no need to
    flip the disc, and you can switch on the fly.

    That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but there's tons more.
    I've yet to see anything on a commercial DVD that DVD Studio Pro can't
    do. I welcome suggestions of things to try.

    Oh yes, one more -- NVRAM. Some players have non-volatile RAM so you
    can actually keep track of things like how many times they've played
    the DVD, etc.

    Have fun!
    Max Volume, Oct 3, 2003