  1. Guest

    How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
    http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a

    #1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with
    remote & headphones & 12v auto charger) from Costco for $400 USD as a
    gift for European friends next week (similar to the Panasonic DVD LS90
    portable DVD player).

    #2: I *thought* there was a switch somewhere to change from Region 1
    (USA) NTSC to Region 2 (Western Europe) PAL; but unfortunately I didn't
    see anything about that in the "Operating Instructions" manual (part
    number RQT8067-1P).

    #3: I called Panasonic USA 1-800-211-7262 and the technician simply
    said curtly "No Panosonic DVD player can have their region changed,
    period." When I told some friends that, they said that was BS and that
    I should ask you folks for advice.

    So here I am asking you for advice (is this the right place?)!

    Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
    for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
    Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?

    Wendy
    , Aug 8, 2005

  2. g.w.hirohito Guest

    wrote in news:1123516942.161607.65030
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    > Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
    > for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
    > Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL? ( http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a )

    I think answer is Panasonic Customer Support told you it.

    It is against manufacturers advice changing region & format in all
    Panasonic DVD players. Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

    Do not change region in Panasonic DVD players!
    Do not break rules!
    If you wish to play region 2 DVDs - buy second Panasonic DVD players!

    To your error - the Panasonic DVD LS93 is same Panasonic DVD LS90 in
    package with Panasonic RP-HT21 headgear and huge 12-hour playback CGR-H703
    Li ion battery, case to carry, and 110/220v power so to be used in Europe
    ON USA DVDs ONLY!

    Never to use with region 2 pal never!

    --
    Hirohito
    g.w.hirohito, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Guest

    g.w.hirohito wrote:
    > wrote in news:1123516942.161607.65030
    > @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    > It is against manufacturers advice changing region & format in all
    > Panasonic DVD players. Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

    As far as I can tell, DVD region codes are merely a MARKETING tool and
    are not based on law anwywhere in the world. If I bought the Panasonic
    DVD player and if I bought the Marketing Region 2 DVD, then I can play
    them legally on any DVD player anywhere in the world (if I can get them
    to play).

    All I need to do is switch the Panasonic stand-alone DVD player to
    Marketing Region 2. That's all I'm asking of people here (since
    Panasonic won't tell me how).

    BTW, I'm confused about NTSC vs PAL video formats with respect to DVDs.
    Is this the digital-playing format? Or is this just the analog output
    format?

    I *think* NTSC/PAL is just what comes out of the RCA analog output
    jacks? If so, this analog video format has nothing to do with the
    player, per se?
    Is that true?

    If NTSC vs PAL is the actual digital playing format to the SCREEN of
    the portable DVD player, then I have a BIGGER problem than the
    marketing region code.

    I have NO EXPERIENCE in all this so I desperately ask for your help
    from experts on these two questions.

    Q: How do I switch the portable DVD player region from Marketing Region
    1 to Marketing Region 2?
    Q: Then, when I put in a PAL format Marketing Region 2 DVD, would it
    then play?
    , Aug 8, 2005
  4. Jona Vark Guest

    "g.w.hirohito" <> wrote in message
    > wrote in news:1123516942.161607.65030
    >> Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

    > Hirohito

    "Panasonic Law"

    cracks me up..
    ..
    Jona Vark, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?

    I haven't tried and don't know. It may not be possible.

    However, it is possible to change regions or enable all regions for at
    least some brands of DVD players. I haven't tried to do that, but I
    know that usually you need to figure out how to access a player's
    service menu or make a small change to the player's hardware. I suggest
    you search the web and newsgroups via Google.com and/or other search
    web sites.

    I think it might make sense for you to return your DVD player to
    Costco, or if it's too late to return it, sell the player on eBay or
    somewhere.

    Then you could take your money and buy a "region free" player. Here are
    some examples, including a bunch of Panasonic portable DVD players:

    http://www.world-import.com/portable-dvd.htm

    http://www.world-import.com/dvd.htm

    Or if you're going to Europe to visit your friends, it could make more
    sense to buy the player in Europe. Then you'll know you have a player
    that will work in
    Europe.

    > http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a
    >
    > #1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with
    > remote & headphones & 12v auto charger) from Costco for $400 USD as a
    > gift for European friends next week (similar to the Panasonic DVD LS90
    > portable DVD player).
    >
    > #2: I *thought* there was a switch somewhere to change from Region 1
    > (USA) NTSC to Region 2 (Western Europe) PAL; but unfortunately I didn't
    > see anything about that in the "Operating Instructions" manual (part
    > number RQT8067-1P).
    >
    > #3: I called Panasonic USA 1-800-211-7262 and the technician simply
    > said curtly "No Panosonic DVD player can have their region changed,
    > period." When I told some friends that, they said that was BS and that
    > I should ask you folks for advice.
    >
    > So here I am asking you for advice (is this the right place?)!
    >
    > Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
    > for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
    > Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
    >
    > Wendy
    , Aug 8, 2005
  6. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote
    > g.w.hirohito wrote
    >> wrote

    >> It is against manufacturers advice changing region & format in
    >> all Panasonic DVD players. Never. It is against Panasonic Law.

    > As far as I can tell, DVD region codes are merely a MARKETING
    > tool and are not based on law anwywhere in the world.

    That's arguable given the most recent
    digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    > If I bought the Panasonic DVD player and if I bought the
    > Marketing Region 2 DVD, then I can play them legally on any
    > DVD player anywhere in the world (if I can get them to play).

    > All I need to do is switch the Panasonic stand-alone
    > DVD player to Marketing Region 2.

    That isnt necessarily possible once the player has
    settled on a region, usually by allowing say 5 changes
    of region based on the region of the DVD played.

    > That's all I'm asking of people here (since Panasonic won't tell me how).

    Quite a few players can now be set region free, but not all.

    > BTW, I'm confused about NTSC vs PAL video formats
    > with respect to DVDs. Is this the digital-playing format?
    > Or is this just the analog output format?

    Nope, its also set in the DVD authoring packages too,
    so it cant be just the output format used by the player.

    The short story is that the better players can convert
    when playing and the least capable players cant.

    And Panasonic chooses to not include PAL capability in some
    of their players sold in north america and sell different versions
    outside north america which allow both PAL and NTSC.

    > I *think* NTSC/PAL is just what comes out of the RCA analog output jacks?

    Fraid not. And there isnt just those two formats with the output
    either, you can also see hybrid formats with the wrong frame rate.

    And to make things even more complicated, many
    modern TVs accept both PAL and NTSC format inputs.

    > If so, this analog video format has nothing
    > to do with the player, per se? Is that true?

    Nope, its also the format written to the DVD media.

    > If NTSC vs PAL is the actual digital playing format to
    > the SCREEN of the portable DVD player, then I have
    > a BIGGER problem than the marketing region code.

    You do indeed. In spades with Panasonic which does sell
    some models in north americal which are quite different to the
    model sold outside north america on that PAL/NTSC question.

    > I have NO EXPERIENCE in all this so I desperately
    > ask for your help from experts on these two questions.

    > Q: How do I switch the portable DVD player region
    > from Marketing Region 1 to Marketing Region 2?

    Varys with the player. With some that can be done
    at will, usually with a unique set of entrys from the
    remote. Some need to have the firmware flashed.

    > Q: Then, when I put in a PAL format
    > Marketing Region 2 DVD, would it then play?

    Again, that varys with the player you are using and the TV too.
    Rod Speed, Aug 8, 2005
  7. HGB Guest

    > How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
    > http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a

    Rod Speed doesn't know what he's talking about.

    1- Region coding is a marketing issue - NOT a copyright question.
    2- Yes you CAN change the portable player from 1 to region 2.
    3- No PAL/NTSC has NOTHING to do with region 1 and region 2.

    Once you change the region of your panasonic dvd-ls93 portable dvd player,
    you can then insert all the region 2 pal dvds you want and this ntsc player
    will play then seamlessly because ntsc is just the output composition and
    not the playing composition.

    I hope this corrects the erroneous information offered by sir speed.

    I am sure someone on this newsgroup is an expert who can walk you through
    the steps to convert your region 1 ntsc dvd player to read region 2 pal
    dvds.

    If nobody answers, then it can't be done (as the experts are all here).

    #1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with

    #2: I *thought* there was a switch somewhere to change from Region 1

    HGB, Aug 8, 2005
  8. SMS Guest

    Re: Region 1 to 2 & PAL the new 10-hour Panasonic DVD-LS93 CostcoDVD player?

    wrote:

    > Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
    > for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
    > Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
    >
    > Wendy

    I do not believe that there is a programmable code to change it. If you
    look at "http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks" you'll see that most
    Panasonic DVD players do not have any listed hacks for changing the
    region code.

    However look at: "http://www.dvdcodes.net/panasonic/panasonic70-99.htm"

    They can unlock the LS90 with a remote that they sell. You might ask
    them if it works with the LS93, most likely it does because I suspect
    that the LS93 is simply an LS90 which was specially packaged for Costco
    and other warehouse stores. But it costs $48.

    I always check that it is possible to change region codes _prior_ to
    buying a DVD player. My mother-in-law likes to watch Chinese Opera DVDs
    that I buy in Taiwan, and these are region-coded.

    I bought the Mintek 1060 from Costco ($300) and it is multi-region via a
    hack, "http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Mintek+MDP-1060".

    In general, the no-name brands are more easily modifiable.

    Costco has a great return policy.
    SMS, Aug 8, 2005
  9. AnthonyL Guest

    On 8 Aug 2005 09:02:22 -0700, wrote:

    >How do I change this DVD player from Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?
    > http://tinyurl.com/d8c7a
    >
    >#1: I bought this new Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (with
    >remote & headphones & 12v auto charger) from Costco for $400 USD as a
    >gift for European friends next week (similar to the Panasonic DVD LS90
    >portable DVD player).

    Recently had an almost similar situation - took some free UK DVD's to
    an Asian country and found the answer on www.regionfreedvd.net/If you
    can't find your answer there or on google "LS93" "Region Free" you are
    stuffed

    AIUI the region code is not a legal restriction - there are FAQ around
    to explain all that but I don't believe you will be hung drawn and
    quartered for changing you DVD player if you can. Warranty may be
    another issue.

    IAMNAL and have just consumed a bottle of Merlot (less 1.5 glasses) so
    please excuse any typos.

    Cheers

    --
    AnthonyL
    AnthonyL, Aug 8, 2005
  10. Konna D. Guest

    Re: Region 1 to 2 & PAL the new 10-hour Panasonic DVD-LS93 CostcoDVD player?

    In article <FaOJe.8078$p%>, SMS
    <> wrote:
    >> Q: Where do I find instructions to permanently change the region code
    >> for the Panasonic DVD-LS93 portable DVD player (similar to LS90) from
    >> Region 1 NTSC to Region 2 PAL?

    >However look at: "http://www.dvdcodes.net/panasonic/panasonic70-99.htm"
    >They can unlock the LS90 with a remote that they sell. You might ask
    >them if it works with the LS93, most likely it does because I suspect
    >that the LS93 is simply an LS90 which was specially packaged for Costco
    >and other warehouse stores. But it costs $48.

    I bought the same Panasonic DVD LS93 player from CostCo so I too am
    curious about the difference between the two players (they clearly use the
    same owners manual as shown at the URL below).
    http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DVDLS90.pdf

    After calling the local Panasonic hotline 800.405.0652 (surprisingly, after
    first lying to me (saying it was the color) Panasonic admitted they didn't
    know the difference themselves and suggested I look in the "operating
    instructions"). After doing so, I realized the only difference is the weght
    and size due to battery capacity differences. I told that to the Panasonic
    technician who then said "that must be the difference". Pretty lame support if
    you ask me (they don't even know their own product numbers) but be that as it
    may, here is the summary.

    WEIGHT:
    Panasonic DVD LS90 = 1097 grams or 38.69 oz (including the battery)
    Panasonic DVD LS93 = 1280 grams or 45.15 oz (including the battery)

    SIZE:
    Panasonic DVD LS90 = 185 mm or 7-9/32 in in depth (including the battery)
    Panasonic DVD LS93 = 201.4 mm or 7-15/16 in in depth (including the battery)

    CAPACITY:
    Panasonic DVD LS90 = 7.2 volt 4700 mAh (model number CGR-H702)
    Panasonic DVD LS93 = 7.2 volt 8600 mAh (model number CGR-H703)

    All other specifications appear to be the same between the two models.

    Therefore, I suspect the 183g (6-1/2oz) weight and 16.4mm (21/32 inch) size
    difference with the Panasonic LS90 are solely due to the larger capacity
    (by 3900 mAh) clip-on battery supplied in the LS93.

    The wierd thing is we can figure this out, but Panasonic can't!

    You might be able to download a firmware upgrade to PAL at:
    http://tinyurl.com/aakcu

    I too wonder if upgrading to handle all regions will enable this DVD player to
    play PAL as happened in the URL provided below with a similar
    Panasonic portable DVD player:
    "http://www.videohelp.com/dvdha cks"

    In addition, if these guys ( "http://www.dvdcodes.net/panaso
    nic/panasonic70-99.htm" ) can eliminate the region coding in a single button
    press, then we mere mortals should be able to do it with the supplied remote
    (if there only was an expert on this newsgroup that knew how).
    Konna D., Aug 8, 2005
  11. SMS Guest

    Konna D. wrote:

    > I too wonder if upgrading to handle all regions will enable this DVD player to
    > play PAL as happened in the URL provided below with a similar
    > Panasonic portable DVD player:
    > "http://www.videohelp.com/dvdha cks"

    Unclear. The company that sells the region unlock remote might know.
    "If your Panasonic DVD is not a region 2 PAL player we now have the
    ability to unlock it AND enable PAL playback on most models. Click here
    for more info stating the model of the DVD player and the current region ."

    > In addition, if these guys ( "http://www.dvdcodes.net/panaso
    > nic/panasonic70-99.htm" ) can eliminate the region coding in a single button
    > press, then we mere mortals should be able to do it with the supplied remote
    > (if there only was an expert on this newsgroup that knew how).

    Not necessarily. There are probably codes required that cannot be
    generated from the supplied remote, rather than some specific sequence
    of buttons to press. www.dvdcodes.net uses a cheap remote with some
    flash memory, and they program the codes into the flash. A good business
    model!

    If there was a free hack involving only remote button presses, then I
    think it would be available somewhere.
    SMS, Aug 8, 2005
  12. jayembee Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    > wrote
    >
    >> As far as I can tell, DVD region codes are merely a MARKETING
    >> tool and are not based on law anwywhere in the world.

    > That's arguable given the most recent
    > digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    Region-coding has no legal force anywhere in the world. Even the
    DMCA and similar laws elsewhere at best only make it illegal to write
    software that would circumvent region coding.

    Most players can have their region coding changed through simple
    menu commands. It's just a question of figuring out or finding out what
    the commands are. There's nothing illegal about that.

    Anyway, to the original poster, try here:

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 9, 2005
  13. Rod Speed Guest

    jayembee <> wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >> wrote

    >>> As far as I can tell, DVD region codes are merely a MARKETING
    >>> tool and are not based on law anwywhere in the world.

    >> That's arguable given the most recent
    >> digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    > Region-coding has no legal force anywhere in the world.

    That's arguable given the most recent
    digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    > Even the DMCA and similar laws elsewhere at best only make
    > it illegal to write software that would circumvent region coding.

    Wrong.

    > Most players can have their region coding changed
    > through simple menu commands. It's just a question
    > of figuring out or finding out what the commands are.

    What I said and you snipped.

    > There's nothing illegal about that.

    Never said there was. Having fun thrashing that straw man are you ?

    > Anyway, to the original poster, try here:
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?

    Pity his player isnt listed there.

    And he didnt just ask about region coding anyway.
    Rod Speed, Aug 9, 2005
  14. SMS Guest

    jayembee wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote
    >>

    >>>As far as I can tell, DVD region codes are merely a MARKETING
    >>>tool and are not based on law anwywhere in the world.

    >>That's arguable given the most recent
    >>digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    > Region-coding has no legal force anywhere in the world.

    This is true. The intent of it made sense, sort of, but in practice it
    ended up just being a pain in the ass, easily circumvented if desired,
    yet enough of a hassle that some people would not buy foreign language
    DVDs from outside their region.

    > Most players can have their region coding changed through simple
    > menu commands.

    Some can, but many of the higher priced Japanese nameplates are not as
    easy to do, including the one the original poster has.
    SMS, Aug 9, 2005
  15. jayembee Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    > jayembee <> wrote
    >> Rod Speed <> wrote
    >>> wrote

    >>> That's arguable given the most recent
    >>> digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    >> Region-coding has no legal force anywhere in the world.

    > That's arguable given the most recent
    > digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    You can argue it, but you'd be wrong. In fact, in some places, like New
    Zealand, region-coding is considered contrary to fair-trade laws.

    >> Even the DMCA and similar laws elsewhere at best only make
    >> it illegal to write software that would circumvent region coding.

    > Wrong.

    How so?

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 9, 2005
  16. Rod Speed Guest

    jayembee <> wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >> jayembee <> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed <> wrote

    >>> Region-coding has no legal force anywhere in the world.

    >> That's arguable given the most recent
    >> digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    > You can argue it, but you'd be wrong.

    Nope.

    > In fact, in some places, like New Zealand, region-coding
    > is considered contrary to fair-trade laws.

    True of Australia too, but thats completely irrelevant to
    that original claim about ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

    >>> Even the DMCA and similar laws elsewhere at best only make
    >>> it illegal to write software that would circumvent region coding.

    >> Wrong.

    > How so?

    That aint the only circumvention that is illegal under
    the DMCA legislation ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
    Rod Speed, Aug 9, 2005
  17. Rod Speed Guest

    SMS <> wrote
    > jayembee wrote
    >> Rod Speed <> wrote
    >>> wrote

    >>> That's arguable given the most recent
    >>> digital amendments to most copyright acts.

    >> Region-coding has no legal force anywhere in the world.

    > This is true.

    Nope.

    > The intent of it made sense, sort of,

    Nope, it made absolutely no sense whatever.

    > but in practice it ended up just being a pain in the ass, easily circumvented
    > if desired,

    Just as true of copying sofware which
    is clearly illegal in most of the world.

    > yet enough of a hassle that some people would not buy foreign language DVDs
    > from outside their region.

    It aint primarily about foreign language, its mainly
    about attempting to stop people buying the cheapest
    legal copy they can find anywhere in the world.

    >> Most players can have their region coding changed through simple menu
    >> commands.

    > Some can, but many of the higher priced Japanese nameplates are not as easy to
    > do, including the one the original poster has.

    And some come region free out of the box too.
    Rod Speed, Aug 9, 2005
  18. "Rod Speed" wrote ...
    > It aint primarily about foreign language, its mainly
    > about attempting to stop people buying the cheapest
    > legal copy they can find anywhere in the world.

    Well, not really. It was primarily about controlling release
    dates in different regions so that DVD sales don't crater theater
    ticket sales is areas where the film hasn't been released yet.
    Richard Crowley, Aug 9, 2005
  19. SMS Guest

    Richard Crowley wrote:

    > Well, not really. It was primarily about controlling release
    > dates in different regions so that DVD sales don't crater theater
    > ticket sales is areas where the film hasn't been released yet.

    Yes, this was the reason, which made sense from the studio's point of view.
    SMS, Aug 9, 2005
  20. Rod Speed Guest

    Richard Crowley <> wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote ...

    >> It aint primarily about foreign language, its mainly
    >> about attempting to stop people buying the cheapest
    >> legal copy they can find anywhere in the world.

    > Well, not really. It was primarily about controlling release
    > dates in different regions so that DVD sales don't crater theater
    > ticket sales is areas where the film hasn't been released yet.

    It was never about theater sales.
    Rod Speed, Aug 9, 2005