Region 1 Sony plays region 2 discs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by tsr3, Jul 15, 2006.

  1. tsr3

    tsr3 Guest

    If this has been addressed before, I apologize for this duplicate
    posting.

    I've got a Sony region 1 DVD player. Recently I purchased a DVD
    Tampopo--upon receiving, I discovered that the
    DVD is region 2/NTSC--figured that it won't work on my player, but
    decided to try it anyway.

    Much to my delight, my region 1 DVD player plays this region 2/NTSC
    movie just fine.

    I bought the DVD player new from Best Buy several years ago, and I have
    never tried to override the region setting on the machine (wouldn't
    have a clue as to where to begin anyway)

    I'm can't figure out why this region 2 disc would work in my DVD
    player. I don't believe the disc is a pirated copy.

    Any ideas?

    Regards--r3
    tsr3, Jul 15, 2006

  2. tsr3

    John Howells Guest

    "tsr3" <> wrote

    > If this has been addressed before, I apologize for this duplicate
    > posting.
    >
    > I've got a Sony region 1 DVD player. Recently I purchased a DVD
    > Tampopo--upon receiving, I discovered that the
    > DVD is region 2/NTSC--figured that it won't work on my player, but
    > decided to try it anyway.
    >
    > Much to my delight, my region 1 DVD player plays this region 2/NTSC
    > movie just fine.
    >
    > I bought the DVD player new from Best Buy several years ago, and I have
    > never tried to override the region setting on the machine (wouldn't
    > have a clue as to where to begin anyway)
    >
    > I'm can't figure out why this region 2 disc would work in my DVD
    > player. I don't believe the disc is a pirated copy.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Are you sure the disk is R2 only? For example, many Warner catalogue titles
    released in the US say "R1" on the box, but the disk itself says all of R1,
    R2, R3 and R4 are OK.

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jul 15, 2006

  3. tsr3

    tsr3 Guest

    John Howells wrote:
    > "tsr3" <> wrote
    >
    > > If this has been addressed before, I apologize for this duplicate
    > > posting.
    > >
    > > I've got a Sony region 1 DVD player. Recently I purchased a DVD
    > > Tampopo--upon receiving, I discovered that the
    > > DVD is region 2/NTSC--figured that it won't work on my player, but
    > > decided to try it anyway.
    > >
    > > Much to my delight, my region 1 DVD player plays this region 2/NTSC
    > > movie just fine.
    > >
    > > I bought the DVD player new from Best Buy several years ago, and I have
    > > never tried to override the region setting on the machine (wouldn't
    > > have a clue as to where to begin anyway)
    > >
    > > I'm can't figure out why this region 2 disc would work in my DVD
    > > player. I don't believe the disc is a pirated copy.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    > Are you sure the disk is R2 only? For example, many Warner catalogue titles
    > released in the US say "R1" on the box, but the disk itself says all of R1,
    > R2, R3 and R4 are OK.
    >
    > John Howells

    Hi John Thanks for your response--This disc was issued by Geneon--(I
    believe it was issued in Japan). I looked on the disc--it does have
    the following written along the edge of the DVD: "SPECIAL FEATURES:
    REGION US NOT RATED--NO COPYING SUBJECT TO APPC LABLE LAWS". Also on
    the disc is the Region 2 NTSC symbol. But no specific mention of Region
    1--just US region.--r3
    tsr3, Jul 16, 2006
  4. tsr3

    Guest

    tsr3 wrote:
    > If this has been addressed before, I apologize for this duplicate
    > posting.
    >
    > I've got a Sony region 1 DVD player. Recently I purchased a DVD
    > Tampopo--upon receiving, I discovered that the
    > DVD is region 2/NTSC--figured that it won't work on my player, but
    > decided to try it anyway.
    >
    > Much to my delight, my region 1 DVD player plays this region 2/NTSC
    > movie just fine.
    >
    > I bought the DVD player new from Best Buy several years ago, and I have
    > never tried to override the region setting on the machine (wouldn't
    > have a clue as to where to begin anyway)
    >
    > I'm can't figure out why this region 2 disc would work in my DVD
    > player. I don't believe the disc is a pirated copy.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards--r3

    I had what I thought was an R2 PAL disc of the old cartoon "Robotix:
    The Movie" for the longest time since you could only get it from the
    UK. I think it even said Region 2 on the back of the case. Turns out
    it was probably R0 NTSC as it played fine in my US Xbox when I tried it
    one time. What made me try it in the Xbox was I had previously
    suceeded in both ripping it in dvdshrink and playing in Media Player
    Classic on an R1 drive but when I tried another R2 title I had just
    bought from amazon.co.uk it said it couldn't be used in dvdshrink or
    play in MPC because my dvdrom drive was set to R1 and the dvd was R2.
    , Jul 16, 2006
  5. tsr3

    jayembee Guest

    "tsr3" <> wrote:

    > If this has been addressed before, I apologize for this duplicate
    > posting.
    >
    > I've got a Sony region 1 DVD player. Recently I purchased a DVD
    > Tampopo--upon receiving, I discovered that the
    > DVD is region 2/NTSC--figured that it won't work on my player, but
    > decided to try it anyway.
    >
    > Much to my delight, my region 1 DVD player plays this region 2/NTSC
    > movie just fine.
    >
    > I bought the DVD player new from Best Buy several years ago, and I have
    > never tried to override the region setting on the machine (wouldn't
    > have a clue as to where to begin anyway)
    >
    > I'm can't figure out why this region 2 disc would work in my DVD
    > player. I don't believe the disc is a pirated copy.

    The disc is probably not flagged for R2-only playback, regardless of
    what it might say. I've got several UK DVDs that say that they are
    Region 2, but are actually Region 0. I've got at least one that
    says it's Region 0, but is actually Region 2.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 16, 2006