RegEdit Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, May 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Luke O'Malley <> wrote:

    |>When I try. to get into regedit from 'run', I get a msg that some
    |>program is already using it. I restarted the computer a few times
    |>with no change.
    |>Would you help, please?

    Run Regedit.exe if that works you need to clean up the malware.

    It's likely your trying to run Regedit.com (a fake).

    --
    http://interact10ways.com/usa/information_interactive.htm
    , May 24, 2006

  2. Guest

    Luke O'Malley <> wrote:

    |>In article ,
    |> said:
    |>-->
    |>--> Luke O'Malley <> wrote:
    |>-->
    |>-->|>When I try. to get into regedit from 'run', I get a msg that
    |>-->some
    |>-->|>program is already using it. I restarted the computer a few
    |>-->times
    |>-->|>with no change.
    |>-->|>Would you help, please?
    |>-->
    |>-->Run Regedit.exe if that works you need to clean up the malware.
    |>-->
    |>-->It's likely your trying to run Regedit.com (a fake).
    |>-->
    |>-->--
    |>-->http://interact10ways.com/usa/information_interactive.htm
    |>-->

    |>I tried your suggestion but it did not work. But there is something
    |>strange going on in the 'run box'. When I bring it up to type in
    |>'regedit' there is "http:'www.registrydefender.com/download.asp" in
    |>the box!!! I have run 'AdAware' & 'SpyBot' & my Trend Micro
    |>antivirus program with no results, i. e., they could not find this
    |>file.

    (can'd response)

    download and run Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    Double click on the process(s), reading it's image and command line
    will tell you where to find them. stop the process and delete the
    file/directory.

    Run Regedit and search for the file name(s) deleting them as you find
    them.

    -seeing as you can't use Regedit you need to find what's keeping it
    busy or hideing (?) it.

    Search for regedit.exe and make sure it's even on you computer.

    - In P.E. you can right click on each process and select google to
    find out what the program is/does.

    - you an also run MSCONFIG and see what is listed in the startup tab -
    if it looks funny check it out.

    --
    http://interact10ways.com/usa/information_interactive.htm
    , May 24, 2006

  3. Guest

    , May 24, 2006
  4. Ruada Guest

    Re: RegEdit Problem (solution for the newbie)

    <> wrote in message
    > Luke O'Malley <> wrote:
    >
    > |>In article ,
    > |> said:
    > |>-->
    > |>--> Luke O'Malley <> wrote:
    > |>-->
    > |>-->|>When I try. to get into regedit from 'run', I get a msg that
    > |>-->some
    > |>-->|>program is already using it. I restarted the computer a few
    > |>-->times
    > |>-->|>with no change.
    > |>-->|>Would you help, please?
    > |>-->
    > |>-->Run Regedit.exe if that works you need to clean up the malware.
    > |>-->
    > |>-->It's likely your trying to run Regedit.com (a fake).
    > |>-->
    > |>-->--
    > |>-->http://interact10ways.com/usa/information_interactive.htm
    > |>-->
    >

    > |>I tried your suggestion but it did not work. But there is something
    > |>strange going on in the 'run box'. When I bring it up to type in
    > |>'regedit' there is "http:'www.registrydefender.com/download.asp" in
    > |>the box!!! I have run 'AdAware' & 'SpyBot' & my Trend Micro
    > |>antivirus program with no results, i. e., they could not find this
    > |>file.
    >
    > (can'd response)
    >
    > download and run Process Explorer
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    >
    > Double click on the process(s), reading it's image and command line
    > will tell you where to find them. stop the process and delete the
    > file/directory.
    >
    > Run Regedit and search for the file name(s) deleting them as you find
    > them.
    >
    > -seeing as you can't use Regedit you need to find what's keeping it
    > busy or hideing (?) it.
    >
    > Search for regedit.exe and make sure it's even on you computer.
    >
    > - In P.E. you can right click on each process and select google to
    > find out what the program is/does.
    >
    > - you an also run MSCONFIG and see what is listed in the startup tab -
    > if it looks funny check it out.

    Like I said its not gone it must be hidden as read by your newsreader.
    Ruada, May 24, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > Luke O'Malley <> wrote:
    >
    >|>When I try. to get into regedit from 'run', I get a msg that some
    >|>program is already using it. I restarted the computer a few times
    >|>with no change.
    >|>Would you help, please?
    >
    > Run Regedit.exe if that works you need to clean up the malware.
    >
    > It's likely your trying to run Regedit.com (a fake).

    Is that liable to be Something dropped by a virus?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, May 24, 2006
  6. Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Run Regedit.exe if that works you need to clean up the malware.
    |>>
    |>> It's likely your trying to run Regedit.com (a fake).

    |>Is that liable to be Something dropped by a virus?

    I was trying to be short and sweet... Yes a while back a lot of people
    were complaining that they run regedit and the window just flashes. A
    virus would drop a dos program called regedit.com (COM is run before
    an EXE of course).

    Quick search http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ToolsQuit.htm

    --
    Jesus saves,
    he passes to Moses,
  7. Guest

    Luke O'Malley <> wrote:

    |>What are the process(s) that I double click on?

    Each process you see is what is running right click on each and select
    google - will explain what the program is.

    |>Where do I read its image?

    Double click on the process and click on the tab

    |>Where is the command line that I should read?

    Located in the image tab - this will tell you how and where it starts,
    giving you a clue to what it is, and where to go if you want to delete
    the program.

    |>Are these in the window that the program opens?

    Did you read thanatoid's post? he mentions a program for an automatic
    search/fix - this might be what you need.

    --
    Jesus saves,
    he passes to Moses,
  8. Guest

    Luke O'Malley <> wrote:

    |>What
    |>
    |>Where
    |>
    |>Where
    |>
    |>Are

    Give this site a try http://hijackthis.de/en
    download http://download.hijackthis.eu/hijackthis_199.zip unzip and
    run the program, copy and paste the results into the web textbox. See
    what it's got to say.

    --
    Jesus saves,
    he passes to Moses,