    I am not asking for an opinion on how good it is or how crappy Microsoft is,
    I just want to know how I can re-enable the thing if that's ok?
    Ta.

    Who?!, Oct 9, 2006

  2. Who?!

    burris Guest

    Who?! wrote:
    > I just did a scan with Spybot and it came up with
    > "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCentre_disabled"
    > Can someone shed some light on why it has been disabled and how I can get it
    > up and running again?
    > I am not asking for an opinion on how good it is or how crappy Microsoft is,
    > I just want to know how I can re-enable the thing if that's ok?
    > Ta.

    Go to control panel...and you will see security center..from there, you
    can set up the features you want..

    You can choose to get notified or not for every security event that
    occurs...I choose not to do so.

    burris, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Who?!

    Brian G Guest

    Who?! wrote:
    > I just did a scan with Spybot and it came up with
    > "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCentre_disabled"
    > Can someone shed some light on why it has been disabled and how I can
    > get it up and running again?
    > I am not asking for an opinion on how good it is or how crappy
    > Microsoft is, I just want to know how I can re-enable the thing if
    > that's ok? Ta.

    If you have disabled the Windows XPAutomatic Updates and firewall, then
    that's the reason for them showing up in Spybot. The answer is either
    enable the items within XP, tell Spybot to ignore them in any scan - or
    simply ignore them yourself.

    Brian G

    Brian G, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Who?!

    Who?! Guest

    Thank you Burris! I don't think I need notification for everything either.

    Who?!, Oct 9, 2006
  5. Who?!

    Who?! Guest

    That's the weird thing, I didn't disable anything at any stage. But thanks
    for that info, very helpful.

    Who?!, Oct 9, 2006
  6. Who?!

    Who?! Guest

    Sorry to be a pain, I just went into the settings like Burris said and tried
    to look at the windows firewall settings and it says "Due to an unidentified
    problem, Windows cannot display Windows firewall settings."
    I am just hoping it its because of spyware or something worse. Do you know
    of anything that could have disabled my windows firewall?
    Thanks again.

    Who?!, Oct 9, 2006
  7. Who?!

    Brian G Guest

    Who?! wrote:
    > Sorry to be a pain, I just went into the settings like Burris said
    > and tried to look at the windows firewall settings and it says "Due
    > to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows firewall
    > settings." I am just hoping it its because of spyware or something worse.
    > Do you
    > know of anything that could have disabled my windows firewall?
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "Brian G" <> wrote in message
    >> Who?! wrote:
    >>
    >> If you have disabled the Windows XPAutomatic Updates and firewall,
    >> then that's the reason for them showing up in Spybot. The answer is
    >> either enable the items within XP, tell Spybot to ignore them in any
    >> scan - or simply ignore them yourself.
    >>
    >> Brian G

    Its possible that your machine could be infected with something nasty that
    has turned the XP security features off - a characteristic of some trojans.

    As a first response, try running a virus scan on your computer (if you don't
    have an anti-virus program installed or would like to use another one as a
    backup - go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and download their on-line
    scan) and see what that brings up. BTW, if you are using System Restore,
    you could try turning this off whilst virus scanning as I believe that the
    anti-virus progams won't clean any infections from there.

    Other than that, I don't have much of an idea as yet as (for my sins) I have
    only recently 'upgraded' to XP from Windows 98 and I am still on the old
    learning curve for sorting out its many inbuilt problems.

    Brian G

    Brian G, Oct 9, 2006
  8. Who?!

    Who?! Guest

    I have an AV program and have run both Spybot and Ad-Aware. I will try the
    trend micro link though.
    Thanks for your help Brian.

    Who?!, Oct 9, 2006
  9. Who?!

    Keme Guest

    Who?! wrote:
    > I just did a scan with Spybot and it came up with
    > "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCentre_disabled"
    > Can someone shed some light on why it has been disabled and how I can get it
    > up and running again?
    > I am not asking for an opinion on how good it is or how crappy Microsoft is,
    > I just want to know how I can re-enable the thing if that's ok?
    > Ta.

    The good news: Windows will identify some security software, but not all
    kinds. Some software will disable the various warnings of "protection
    missing".

    I haven't seen any disabling security centre altogether, though. which
    brings me to...

    The bad news: If security software can do this automatically, so can
    malware, which is the most likely cause I guess. SpySheriff is the one I
    encounter most often in the "hard-to-get-rid-of" category, but recently
    there have been a few others (if I could only remember the names...). If
    Spybot S&D s properly updated and says something can't be removed (even
    after a reboot), that's a likely culprit. For even better scan, run
    hijackthis. Several newsgroups offer to interpret the hijackthis scan
    log and give you advice on what to do. Often the solution is previously
    published.

    Keme, Oct 9, 2006
  10. Who?!

    burris Guest

    Who?! wrote:
    > Sorry to be a pain, I just went into the settings like Burris said and tried
    > to look at the windows firewall settings and it says "Due to an unidentified
    > problem, Windows cannot display Windows firewall settings."
    > I am just hoping it its because of spyware or something worse. Do you know
    > of anything that could have disabled my windows firewall?
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "Brian G" <> wrote in message
    >> Who?! wrote:
    >>> I just did a scan with Spybot and it came up with
    >>> "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCentre_disabled"
    >>> Can someone shed some light on why it has been disabled and how I can
    >>> get it up and running again?
    >>> I am not asking for an opinion on how good it is or how crappy
    >>> Microsoft is, I just want to know how I can re-enable the thing if
    >>> that's ok? Ta.

    >> If you have disabled the Windows XPAutomatic Updates and firewall, then
    >> that's the reason for them showing up in Spybot. The answer is either
    >> enable the items within XP, tell Spybot to ignore them in any scan - or
    >> simply ignore them yourself.
    >>
    >> Brian G

    See if this information might help....

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

    burris, Oct 9, 2006
  11. Who?!

    PeeCee Guest

    "Who?!" <> wrote in message
    >I just did a scan with Spybot and it came up with
    >"Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCentre_disabled"
    > Can someone shed some light on why it has been disabled and how I can get
    > it up and running again?
    > I am not asking for an opinion on how good it is or how crappy Microsoft
    > is, I just want to know how I can re-enable the thing if that's ok?
    > Ta.

    Commonly seen when you have Norton Anti Virus installed.
    NAV overrides Windows Security Centre with it's own controls, it will have
    asked permission to do so at install time.

    If you do have NAV (or NIS) you can safely ignore this detection in Spybot
    by right clicking on the lowest level of detection listed in Spybot's window
    (click the plus to open) and left clicking on 'exclude this .....'

    If you don't have NAV/NIS then you will have to check if your present Anti
    Virus does a similar trick.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 9, 2006