    As it will be a spare can I refill and start to use say a couple of weeks
    down the road or should it be used immediately after refilling.

    thank you
    SS, Apr 3, 2010

  2. SS

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 4/3/2010 10:09 AM, SS wrote:
    > I have decided to try and refill my black HP cartridge.
    >
    > As it will be a spare can I refill and start to use say a couple of weeks
    > down the road or should it be used immediately after refilling.
    >
    > thank you

    Might be worth printing a couple of pages to clean nozzles, but if it
    won't store for 2 weeks or more after that it's not worth the effort.
    On same topic, Kodak claim their printers are more cost effective ink
    wise, anybody using one and can comment on quality.
    Dave Cohen, Apr 3, 2010

  3. SS

    SS Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > On 2010-04-03 10:34:38 -0400, Dave Cohen said:
    >
    >> On 4/3/2010 10:09 AM, SS wrote:
    >>> I have decided to try and refill my black HP cartridge.
    >>>
    >>> As it will be a spare can I refill and start to use say a couple of
    >>> weeks
    >>> down the road or should it be used immediately after refilling.
    >>>
    >>> thank you
    >>>

    >> Might be worth printing a couple of pages to clean nozzles, but if it
    >> won't store for 2 weeks or more after that it's not worth the effort.
    >> On same topic, Kodak claim their printers are more cost effective ink
    >> wise, anybody using one and can comment on quality.

    > I read a review of a Kodak printer recently (can't remember where) and
    > while it was rated as decent and adequate (not stellar) the reviewer made
    > special note of the excellent ink economy and low cost. If that is true,
    > then maybe investing in one of their better printers would be a good idea
    > as the cost would be recouped down the line in much lower ink costs.
    > --
    > Michael

    It is an option worth looking at if the ink refill does not work too well.
    I print a lot of stuff for selling on ebay, low price items so the cost is
    important.
    For the last 18 months I have had free cartridges but that source has dried
    up hence my looking at other options.
    SS, Apr 3, 2010
  4. SS

    Bruce Guest

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 17:04:38 +0100, "SS" <>
    wrote:

    >It is an option worth looking at if the ink refill does not work too well.
    >I print a lot of stuff for selling on ebay, low price items so the cost is
    >important.
    >For the last 18 months I have had free cartridges but that source has dried
    >up hence my looking at other options.

    Here in the UK it is usually so much cheaper to buy compatible
    (off-brand) ink that the savings offered by Kodak are something of an
    illusion.

    It does depend to some extent on the brand of printer; the saving
    obtained through using compatible inks is greater for Epson and Canon
    printers than it is for HP and Lexmark (or Dell) printers.

    A good source of cheap compatible inks (UK only) is 7dayshop:
    http:/www.7dayshop.com/
    Bruce, Apr 3, 2010
  5. ? "Bruce" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 17:04:38 +0100, "SS" <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>It is an option worth looking at if the ink refill does not work too well.
    >>I print a lot of stuff for selling on ebay, low price items so the cost is
    >>important.
    >>For the last 18 months I have had free cartridges but that source has
    >>dried
    >>up hence my looking at other options.

    > Here in the UK it is usually so much cheaper to buy compatible
    > (off-brand) ink that the savings offered by Kodak are something of an
    > illusion.
    >
    > It does depend to some extent on the brand of printer; the saving
    > obtained through using compatible inks is greater for Epson and Canon
    > printers than it is for HP and Lexmark (or Dell) printers.
    >
    > A good source of cheap compatible inks (UK only) is 7dayshop:
    > http:/www.7dayshop.com/

    I have the Canon Pixma iP 4300, which is an excellent consumer printer. It
    can print on cds and vds (printable), has a paper tray, can print on both
    sides automatically and has 5 separate ink tanks. It prints excellently with
    generic refilled ink tanks (I have them refilled in an ink station close,
    who also has a chip reseter), and generic photo paper (from Lidl, 4 euros
    @100 4X5"). I estimate its cost 10 euro cents per 4X5". It can print up to
    A4. The current model is iP 4600, IIRC.
    HTH,

    --