regarding lens distortions on a DSLR compared to 35mm

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tilman Kolk, May 13, 2004.

  1. Tilman Kolk

    Tilman Kolk Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I am wondering if, in general, the distortions of a lens
    on a DSLR are less (visible) compared its performance on an SLR ?
    (because of the focal length & image size change)

    I used to have a Sigma 28mm-105/F2.8-4 on a Minolta.
    The super pros may not like the lens but I did:
    Never again had as bright & vivid colors with `higher marked` lenses.
    Not good however was the barral distortion & light fall-off
    on the corners at the 28mm end.

    Can I expect a better performance buying this lens again
    and putting it on my Canon 300D ?

    I hate to resort to getting a better rated but more expensive
    28mm-135mm Tamron/Canon, because I might not stick with Canon
    in the future when Minolta gets back on track.

    Thanks for comments,

    Tilman.
    Tilman Kolk, May 13, 2004

  2. Tilman Kolk

    Don Guest

    Since the focal plane of the 300D is less than 2/3 the width/height of 35mm
    film, only the center portion of the field will be used. Generally the
    barrel and pincusion distortions will drop off roughly with the square of
    the FOV, so I would expect it to be only about 40% as bad as with 35mm film.
    Vignetting will usually drop off even faster, and may be unnoticeable on the
    300D. I'm not sure why that lens would give "bright & vivid colors," but if
    you like it, go for it.

    Don

    Don, May 13, 2004

  3. Tilman Kolk

    Ken Burns Guest

    You should be able to see the exact distortion to expect by examining images
    you have already shot with the lens. Using a print of an image shot with
    the lens, just view the cropped down area that would have been recorded by
    the 300D and you will see exactly what to expect. That will work for the
    distortion. However, other issues such as fall off and chromatic
    abberations will probably be even more noticable with the 300D than they
    were with film.

    KB

    Ken Burns, May 14, 2004