    Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp files on
    a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

    Thanks
    Scott, Mar 27, 2010

  2. Scott wrote:

    > Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
    > files on a machine basis,

    What happened when you right-clicked on the file and chose
    "Open With..." and picked MSPaint from that menu?

    > what reg key do i need to edit?

    Best to consider editing the registry as a last resort...

    --
    -bts
    -I feel so left out; I don't have a "registry."
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2010

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Users dont have permissions to do this, I want to do it with a reg frag on
    80 pc's on my network

    Scott, Mar 27, 2010
  4. Scott wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Scott wrote:
    >>> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
    >>> files on a machine basis,

    >> What happened when you right-clicked on the file and chose
    >> "Open With..." and picked MSPaint from that menu?
    >>
    >>> what reg key do i need to edit?

    >> Best to consider editing the registry as a last resort...

    > Users dont have permissions to do this, I want to do it with a reg
    > frag on 80 pc's on my network

    New data not specified in original post. Perhaps someone else will have
    a suggestion. Best of luck with your endeavour.

    [Please don't top-post. Thanks.]

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2010
  5. Scott

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:13:00 +0000, Scott wrote:

    > Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
    > files on a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

    This can't be fixed without a re-format of the hard drive.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he harpooned Flipper.
    Dan C, Mar 27, 2010
  6. Scott

    chuckcar Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in

    > Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
    > files on a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?

    Uninstall all other graphic editing and viewing programs. Then install
    them again specifing that they *aren't* the default application. It *is*
    it by default. Editing the registry is by far the easiest way to make a
    computer unbootable. One mistake and its toast. There is almost always
    an easier way.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 27, 2010
  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I need to do it on 80 machines

    Scott, Mar 27, 2010
  8. chucktard wrote:

    > "Scott" wrote:
    >> Guys I want to make mspaint the default application for opening bmp
    >> files on a machine basis, what reg key do i need to edit?
    >>

    > Uninstall all other graphic editing and viewing programs. Then install
    > them again specifing that they *aren't* the default application. It
    > *is* it by default. Editing the registry is by far the easiest way to
    > make a computer unbootable. One mistake and its toast. There is
    > almost always an easier way.

    So you are suggesting Scott do all that on all 80 PCs on his network?
    Are you sure you can't come up with anything *more* difficult?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2010
  9. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> So you are suggesting Scott do all that on all 80 PCs on his network?
    >> Are you sure you can't come up with anything *more* difficult?

    > Yes.
    >
    > First, turn off your computer.
    > Remove every card inside, remove all memory. Then put back in ONLY the
    > necessary cards - video, etc. Then put in ONE and ONLY ONE stick of
    > memory. Then, reset your BIOS. Then, format your hard drive. Then,
    > scan for malware on both your router, DSL modem and hard drive.

    Chucktard the Magnificent? Is that you?

    > Shoot, what am I missing?

    Running memtest on that lonely stick of ram.
    Removing everything from startup.
    Replace the failing hard drive and format the *new* one.
    Your lisp-sig.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2010
  10. Scott

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:30:00 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > specifing

    WTF?????

    Aardvark, Mar 27, 2010
  11. Scott

    rf Guest

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> So you are suggesting Scott do all that on all 80 PCs on his network?
    >>> Are you sure you can't come up with anything *more* difficult?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> First, turn off your computer.
    >> Remove every card inside, remove all memory. Then put back in ONLY the
    >> necessary cards - video, etc. Then put in ONE and ONLY ONE stick of
    >> memory. Then, reset your BIOS. Then, format your hard drive. Then,
    >> scan for malware on both your router, DSL modem and hard drive.

    > Chucktard the Magnificent? Is that you?
    >
    >> Shoot, what am I missing?

    > Running memtest on that lonely stick of ram.
    > Removing everything from startup.
    > Replace the failing hard drive and format the *new* one.
    > Your lisp-sig.

    You'll need to replace your hard drive data cable.
    rf, Mar 27, 2010
  12. Scott

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:52:17 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:27:33 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>So you are suggesting Scott do all that on all 80 PCs on his network?
    >>Are you sure you can't come up with anything *more* difficult?

    > Yes.
    >
    > First, turn off your computer.
    > Remove every card inside, remove all memory. Then put back in ONLY the
    > necessary cards - video, etc. Then put in ONE and ONLY ONE stick of
    > memory. Then, reset your BIOS. Then, format your hard drive. Then, scan
    > for malware on both your router, DSL modem and hard drive.
    >
    > Shoot, what am I missing?

    Disable startup?

    Aardvark, Mar 27, 2010
  13. Scott

    Jordon Guest

    Jordon wrote:
    > Scott wrote:
    >> Users dont have permissions to do this, I want to do it with a reg
    >> frag on
    >> 80 pc's on my network

    >>> What happened when you right-clicked on the file and chose
    >>> "Open With..." and picked MSPaint from that menu?

    >>> Best to consider editing the registry as a last resort...

    > Changing file file associations can be done from
    > the command line

    File file associations?
    Jordon, Mar 29, 2010