    bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?

    Thanks,
    SW

    Summer Wind, Oct 18, 2007

  2. Summer Wind

    Paul Furman Guest

    Summer Wind wrote:

    > There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    > www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    > why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    > refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    > bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?

    I was in a Best Buy the other day, all the DSLRs were on display, locked
    to the counter with no lens mounted... yikes, I can understand why but
    all the dust & people poking their fingers in the mirror box, sheesh. I
    think that would be the worst case scenario though.

    Paul Furman, Oct 18, 2007

  3. Summer Wind

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 18, 2:57 pm, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    > There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs atwww.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    > why they need refurbishing so soon.

    The name is a clue.

    Rich, Oct 18, 2007
  4. Summer Wind

    Summer Wind Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 18, 2:57 pm, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    >> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs
    >> atwww.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one
    >> wonder
    >> why they need refurbishing so soon.

    > The name is a clue.

    There are just as many refurbished Nikon's.

    SW

    Summer Wind, Oct 18, 2007
  5. Summer Wind

    Bob S Guest

    Summer Wind wrote:
    > There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    > www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    > why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    > refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    > bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    Not sure about Adorama, a reputable shop, but B&H, another reputable
    shop, has "used" gear that when rated condition 10 is usually refurbed
    by Canon. Where they get them is easy. The Canon Sales Reps turn in
    their sample cases on a regular schedule. The equipment gets a going
    over by Canon but can not be sold as new. The equipmant may also be
    store demos.

    A nice way to get "new" at used prices. I bought my 28-135 IS that way
    and a friend bought his 10D and maybe his 20D that way. We're both
    happy with what we bought.

    Check with Adorama and ask if that is what they do.

    Bob S, Oct 18, 2007
  6. Summer Wind

    Summer Wind Guest

    "Bob S" <> wrote in message

    > Not sure about Adorama, a reputable shop, but B&H, another reputable shop,
    > has "used" gear that when rated condition 10 is usually refurbed by Canon.
    > Where they get them is easy. The Canon Sales Reps turn in their sample
    > cases on a regular schedule. The equipment gets a going over by Canon but
    > can not be sold as new. The equipmant may also be store demos.
    >
    > A nice way to get "new" at used prices. I bought my 28-135 IS that way
    > and a friend bought his 10D and maybe his 20D that way. We're both happy
    > with what we bought.

    Thanks and it does appear to be a good way to save a few bucks. The price
    difference is not that spectacular, but it does cover the shipping and taxes
    you'd pay for new merchandise, plus a little more.

    SW

    Summer Wind, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Summer Wind

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:

    > There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    > www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    > why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    > refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    > bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
    repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The idea is
    that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs made.
    I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    equipment than new - because of thorough testing.

    I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
    refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely satisfied
    with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers refurbished -
    and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from the
    corporate online store.

    ray, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Summer Wind

    Frank Arthur Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
    >
    >> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make
    >> one wonder
    >> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the
    >> cameras it
    >> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any
    >> of you
    >> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> SW

    > Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
    > repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The
    > idea is
    > that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs
    > made.
    > I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    > equipment than new - because of thorough testing.
    >
    > I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
    > refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely
    > satisfied
    > with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers
    > refurbished -
    > and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from
    > the
    > corporate online store.

    Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like pre-owned
    instead of used.
    The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item. You
    do not know how
    or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to gloss
    it over or
    pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

    Frank Arthur, Oct 18, 2007
  9. Summer Wind

    dwight Guest

    "Frank Arthur" <> wrote in message

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >>> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one
    >>> wonder
    >>> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras
    >>> it
    >>> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    >>> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> SW

    >> Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
    >> repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The idea is
    >> that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs made.
    >> I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    >> equipment than new - because of thorough testing.
    >>
    >> I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
    >> refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely
    >> satisfied
    >> with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers
    >> refurbished -
    >> and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from the
    >> corporate online store.

    > Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like pre-owned
    > instead of used.
    > The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item. You do
    > not know how
    > or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to gloss it
    > over or
    > pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

    As the new owner of a refurbished Canon S3 IS, I gotta say... I'm hard
    pressed to see the difference between refurbished and new. If it didn't come
    with a refurbished sticker on the bottom, I wouldn't be able to tell.

    dwight
    www.tfrog.com

    dwight, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Summer Wind

    Frank Arthur Guest

    "dwight" <> wrote in message
    > "Frank Arthur" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ray" <> wrote in message

    >>> Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned
    >>> for
    >>> repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The
    >>> idea is
    >>> that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary
    >>> repairs made.
    >>> I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    >>> equipment than new - because of thorough testing.
    >>>
    >>> I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two
    >>> Kodak
    >>> refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely
    >>> satisfied
    >>> with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers
    >>> refurbished -
    >>> and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought
    >>> from the
    >>> corporate online store.

    >> Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like
    >> pre-owned instead of used.
    >> The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item.
    >> You do not know how
    >> or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to
    >> gloss it over or
    >> pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

    > As the new owner of a refurbished Canon S3 IS, I gotta say... I'm
    > hard pressed to see the difference between refurbished and new. If
    > it didn't come with a refurbished sticker on the bottom, I wouldn't
    > be able to tell.
    >
    > dwight
    > www.tfrog.com

    Was there a significant price savings?

    Frank Arthur, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Summer Wind

    Bob G Guest

    Where they get them is easy. The Canon Sales Reps turn in
    > their sample cases on a regular schedule. The equipment gets a going
    > over by Canon but can not be sold as new. The equipmant may also be
    > store demos.

    There aren't enough sales reps to account for the huge number of
    refurbished Canons and Nikons.
    I suspect a lot of them come from returned cameras and store demos.
    They are carefully gone over and returned to factory specs. Most of
    them probably need very little work done.
    I own a refurbished Nikon D80 which looks exactly like new and
    performs perfectly. Got a one-year warranty from the store, too.
    My local camera store owner says he'd rather buy a refurb than a new
    camera.

    Bob G, Oct 19, 2007
  12. Summer Wind

    Bob S Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
    >
    >> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    >> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    >> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    >> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> SW

    > Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
    > repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The idea is
    > that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs made.
    > I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    > equipment than new - because of thorough testing.

    Returned for repair by who? If I send my camera in for repair I get my
    camera back.

    I agree with the thorough testing aspect. A friend of mine would buy
    new ham radio equipment and never use it, but he would send it in for
    warranty work because "it wasn't quite right". The warranty repair
    procedure would include testing and alignment beyond that of the
    production line. Seems like the same would apply to a D200 or 30D.

    Bob S

    Bob S, Oct 19, 2007
  13. Summer Wind

    > "dwight" <> wrote in message
    >> "Frank Arthur" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "ray" <> wrote in message

    >>> Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like pre-owned
    >>> instead of used.
    >>> The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item. You do
    >>> not know how
    >>> or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to gloss
    >>> it over or
    >>> pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

    >> As the new owner of a refurbished Canon S3 IS, I gotta say... I'm hard
    >> pressed to see the difference between refurbished and new. If it didn't
    >> come with a refurbished sticker on the bottom, I wouldn't be able to
    >> tell.
    >>
    >> dwight
    >> www.tfrog.com
    >>

    > Was there a significant price savings?

    Apparently, Canon could not repair my S1 (a repair for which a service
    bulletin had been issued), so they sent me this refurbished S3 in its place.

    So, yes, rather significant savings.

    dwight

    dwight, Oct 19, 2007
  14. Summer Wind

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:21:20 -0400, Bob S wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >>> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    >>> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    >>> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    >>> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> SW

    >> Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
    >> repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The idea is
    >> that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs made.
    >> I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    >> equipment than new - because of thorough testing.

    > Returned for repair by who? If I send my camera in for repair I get my
    > camera back.

    Often if you send in a camera, you get another - not necessarily the same
    one. You've never returned a faulty product for a refund?

    ray, Oct 19, 2007
  15. Summer Wind

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 17:49:44 -0400, Frank Arthur wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >>> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make
    >>> one wonder
    >>> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the
    >>> cameras it
    >>> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any
    >>> of you
    >>> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> SW

    >> Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
    >> repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The
    >> idea is
    >> that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs
    >> made.
    >> I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    >> equipment than new - because of thorough testing.
    >>
    >> I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
    >> refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely
    >> satisfied
    >> with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers
    >> refurbished -
    >> and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from
    >> the
    >> corporate online store.

    > Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like pre-owned
    > instead of used.
    > The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item. You
    > do not know how
    > or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to gloss
    > it over or
    > pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

    Evidently your experiences have been different from mine. e.g. - the Kodak
    DC210+ I bought several years ago came with a new warranty, plus several
    items not ususally included with the new camera - at a considerable
    savings. It had a refurbished sticker, and performed as new - still works
    fine.

    ray, Oct 19, 2007
  16. Summer Wind

    Tony Polson Guest

    "Summer Wind" <> wrote:

    >There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    >why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    >refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    >bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?

    The refurbished cameras are usually a combination of service returns
    and mail order returns.

    In Europe, the majority are mail order returns because people across
    the EU have a right to a full refund if they don't want to keep an
    item they purchased by mail order. Therefore, the majority of items
    have nothing wrong with them. They are simply checked over and any
    missing items (strap, lens cap, user manual) replaced with new.

    One of my 5D bodies was a refurb, and so was my Pentax *ist D. They
    were both faultless cameras.

    Tony Polson, Oct 19, 2007
  17. Summer Wind

    Paul J Gans Guest

    In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Frank Arthur <> wrote:

    >"ray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:57:09 -0500, Summer Wind wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >>> www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make
    >>> one wonder
    >>> why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the
    >>> cameras it
    >>> refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any
    >>> of you
    >>> bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> SW

    >> Generally a product marketed as 'refurbished' has been returned for
    >> repair. The problem may have been very minor or quite major. The
    >> idea is
    >> that every subsystem of the product is tested and necessary repairs
    >> made.
    >> I've heard folks say that they have more confidence in refurbished
    >> equipment than new - because of thorough testing.
    >>
    >> I have no knowledge of canon products, but I've purchased two Kodak
    >> refurbished cameras (a DC210+ and a P850) - I've been completely
    >> satisfied
    >> with both. I have also purchased Epson scanners and printers
    >> refurbished -
    >> and have been completely satisfied. In all cases I have bought from
    >> the
    >> corporate online store.

    >Let's not use doubletalk. Currently hucksters use terms like pre-owned
    >instead of used.
    >The fact of the matter is a "refurbished" item is a "used" item. You
    >do not know how
    >or where the original user handled the camera or lens. Trying to gloss
    >it over or
    >pretend that it is "more thoroughly tested" is pure hype.

    I can't quite agree with that. You are mainly right. But
    "refurbished" implies that somebody with the ability to repair
    the camera has looked at it. "Used", on the other hand,
    can imply "as is", which may or may not be the case.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Oct 19, 2007
  18. Summer Wind

    D_Mac Guest

    On Oct 19, 4:57 am, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    > There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs atwww.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    > why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    > refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    > bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    Not quite on topic but...
    I took two of my 20Ds back to Canon for focus adjustments about 6
    weeks after they were released. The Brisbane (Australia) branch sends
    all cameras to Sydney for repair.

    After taking my details and a disc with the errors evident, they put
    it in a crate along with what seemed like hundreds of identical
    cameras! They must have had a huge warranty issue with them. Australia
    consumers have the right to a refund or repair in the first 30 Days of
    ownership. I took advantage of that once and Canon actually had forms
    for the process.

    I can only presume refurbished cameras on sale outside Australia could
    well contain Australian origin cameras. There are never any refurbs on
    sale in Oz.

    Doug

    D_Mac, Oct 20, 2007
  19. Summer Wind

    sw2u Guest

    <> wrote:

    >There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    >www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one wonder
    >why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the cameras it
    >refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have any of you
    >bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >SW

    I can tell you how more than a few cameras end up being refurbished.
    Someone gets a camera home and later decides to return it to the
    store. It could be buyer's remorse. It could be that mucking around
    with the buttons or menus, without reading the manua first, resulted
    in something going "wrong," like the flash not firing, images all
    being fuzzy because the camera is in macro mode, etc.

    So, the store takes the camera back and can't sell it for new. If it's
    a camera store, someone should know how to check the camera out. If
    it's a big discount store, department store, etc., there might be no
    one behind the counter or in the department who really knows how to
    tell whether anything is wrong with it. So, back to the factory it
    goes.

    At the factory or manufacturer's service center, or an independent
    refurbishing center, a technician examines the camera for physical
    damage, checks it for operation and does electronic diagnostic checks.
    Anything not right is fixed.

    The camera then goes into a plain or specially marked box with the
    basics included in the box it came in when new. (I just saw something
    saying Fuji doesn't include lens caps with refurbs.)

    The refurbed camera is then sold through a variety of channels to
    resellers and retailers. Wal-Mart even handles them.

    I've bought two refurb digital cameras in the past three years. One is
    a higher-end model, the other a moderately priced one. Both came with
    a 90-day warranty, looked brand-new, had all the expected stuff in the
    box and have worked perfectly. Both were bought from reputable sources
    that explained how their refurbs are obtained, evaluated, repaired, if
    necessary, repackaged, equipped and sold. One seller said refurb
    cameras might have one or two small marks or show very minor wear, but
    only when examined closely. The refurb camera I got from that dealer
    showed zero wear and had not a single mark on it.

    My experiences having been excellent, I wouldn't hesitate to buy
    another refurb, especially from a manufacturer's online store or the
    dealer one of mine came from.

    --
    sw2U

    sw2u, Oct 22, 2007
  20. Summer Wind

    just bob Guest

    "Summer Wind" <> wrote in message
    > There are always a good number of refurbished Canon DSLRs at
    > www.adorama.com. Some of them are new models, which has to make one
    > wonder why they need refurbishing so soon. How does Canon come by the
    > cameras it refurbishes and what does refurbishment usually entail? Have
    > any of you bought one of these cameras and have you had any problems?

    What sets them apart from used cameras is the refurbished (usually) come
    with the same warranty as if you had bought it new.

    just bob, Oct 23, 2007