    anybody please....
    TIA
    stef.

    noname, Jan 13, 2004

  2. noname

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "noname" <> wrote in message
    news:RXZMb.114400$...
    > Hi
    > would you buy a camera refurbished from the manufacturer and why?
    > something like some Nikon coolpix
    > the price is very advantageous, but the guaranty is a bit week...
    > are the refurbished cameras any less good?
    > anybody please....
    > TIA
    > stef.

    The key to buying a good refurbished camera is that it's refurbished by the
    manufacturer.

    Chances are a store simply returned a perfectly good working camera in a
    damaged box and the camera is fine.

    And Nikon or whoever will check it out again.

    Next you have to consider the savings compared to the shortened warranty
    period.

    Have fun, Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan, Jan 13, 2004

  3. noname

    bmoag Guest

    My experience: On impulse I bought a refurbished camera (tiny APS) from
    Nikon last year. The first one was defective. They replaced it immediately.
    Realizing than many people who post on newsgroups have an axe to grind there
    have been a number of complaints posted about Nikon repairs of digital
    cameras. If Nion will allow a return/refund if you are not satisfied and the
    price is right . . .

    bmoag, Jan 14, 2004
  4. noname

    Bobs Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:01:36 -0500, "noname" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >would you buy a camera refurbished from the manufacturer and why?
    >something like some Nikon coolpix
    >the price is very advantageous, but the guaranty is a bit week...
    >are the refurbished cameras any less good?
    >anybody please....
    >TIA
    >stef.

    Keep in mind that nowdays a lot of so-called "refurbished" electronic
    items are in fact new and untouched. It's often just a gimmick to
    unload excess inventory while at the same time avoiding sales
    agreements to distributers. A good thing to take advantage of, but
    often can indicate that a product is at or near the end of production.

    Bobs, Jan 14, 2004
  5. noname

    Frank ess Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:01:36 -0500, "noname" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> would you buy a camera refurbished from the manufacturer and why?
    >> something like some Nikon coolpix
    >> the price is very advantageous, but the guaranty is a bit week...
    >> are the refurbished cameras any less good?
    >> anybody please....
    >> TIA
    >> stef.
    >>

    > Keep in mind that nowdays a lot of so-called "refurbished" electronic
    > items are in fact new and untouched. It's often just a gimmick to
    > unload excess inventory while at the same time avoiding sales
    > agreements to distributers. A good thing to take advantage of, but
    > often can indicate that a product is at or near the end of production.

    My first Nikon CP5700 was a Nikon-refurbished unit bought from B and H. Two
    monstrously reliable entities.

    Within minutes of unpacking, the twistable viewing screen became unreadable.
    I called B and H to ask for a return-to-sender number and address. The
    fellow in the refurb-used department was genuinely sorry, it seemed to me. I
    sent it back and was very quickly credited with full price and shipping and
    insurance both ways.

    Over the ten-day period for that activity to take place, the retail price of
    the camera came down to the point that I could trot over to my local
    retailer and for just a few dollars more have a new one that I could throw
    at his head if something went wrong. Nothing went wrong.

    Just to say that even if Nikon refurbs reliably, they can make a mistake. B
    and H may not review every refurbished item they sell, but they do not
    hesitate to "make it right" if it's wrong.

    I bought a used CP5000 from B and H, it had fewer than a thousand exposures
    in its young life. I has performed faultlessly.

    Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes there are misteaks. You have to be
    willing to work on it before and after, research and adjustment, and be
    convinced the other party is willing, too.. If either of you, or of those,
    is weak, it might not be worth it.

    --
    Frank ess

    Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
    -Deepak Gupta

    Frank ess, Jan 14, 2004
  6. What is the URL for B&H? Thanks.

    Dreamspinner3, Jan 14, 2004
  7. noname

    Charlie Self Guest

    Charlie Self, Jan 14, 2004
  8. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:01:36 -0500, "noname" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >would you buy a camera refurbished from the manufacturer and why?
    >something like some Nikon coolpix
    >the price is very advantageous, but the guaranty is a bit week...
    >are the refurbished cameras any less good?
    >anybody please....
    >TIA
    >stef.

    I bought a "refurbished" Kodak digital. It was pristine and showed no
    indication of ever being used or handled, such as micro-scratches in
    the plastic parts. I'm convinced it was factory new and the
    "refurbished" gimmick was a means of dumping excess inventory of a
    discontinued model.

    OTOH, I'd be wary of a genuinely refurbished unit. I've seen
    altogether too many "intermittent" electronic problems. Here's the
    scenario:

    1) Customer's camera is defective, so it is exchanged and the
    defective camera is returned to mfg. for refurbishing.
    2) Not knowing the history of the camera, the repair facility
    performs all tests on the camera and it works, flawlessly, and is put
    up for sale. However, unbeknownst to everybody, the fault is
    intermittent. Any number of things could cause this, such as a
    defective solder joint, cracked resistor, bent or dirty contact, etc.
    3) The next purchaser of the camera is screwed. The real problem was
    never fixed.

    My 2¢

    BTW, I was very pleased with the Kodak. For a 2 M-pixel unit, it took
    beautiful pictures. But, I've upgraded to a higher quality 4 M-pixel
    that produces less vibrant colors.

    Orrin

    Orrin Iseminger, Jan 14, 2004
  9. noname

    Neon John Guest

    I bought my 995 from Nikon as a refurb. I could not tell that it had ever
    been used. I have been perfectly happy with it for over a year now and
    several thousand pictures.

    I wasn't concerned about the warranty. It lasted long enough to get the
    camera through the infant mortality period. That usually does it for
    electronics that aren't abused.

    John

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:01:36 -0500, "noname" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >would you buy a camera refurbished from the manufacturer and why?
    >something like some Nikon coolpix
    >the price is very advantageous, but the guaranty is a bit week...
    >are the refurbished cameras any less good?
    >anybody please....
    >TIA
    >stef.

    ---
    John De Armond

    http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
    Cleveland, Occupied TN

    Neon John, Jan 14, 2004
  10. noname

    Dave Head Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:43:02 -0800, Orrin Iseminger <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:01:36 -0500, "noname" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>would you buy a camera refurbished from the manufacturer and why?
    >>something like some Nikon coolpix
    >>the price is very advantageous, but the guaranty is a bit week...
    >>are the refurbished cameras any less good?
    >>anybody please....
    >>TIA
    >>stef.
    >>

    >I bought a "refurbished" Kodak digital. It was pristine and showed no
    >indication of ever being used or handled, such as micro-scratches in
    >the plastic parts. I'm convinced it was factory new and the
    >"refurbished" gimmick was a means of dumping excess inventory of a
    >discontinued model.
    >
    >OTOH, I'd be wary of a genuinely refurbished unit. I've seen
    >altogether too many "intermittent" electronic problems. Here's the
    >scenario:
    >
    >1) Customer's camera is defective, so it is exchanged and the
    >defective camera is returned to mfg. for refurbishing.
    >2) Not knowing the history of the camera, the repair facility
    >performs all tests on the camera and it works, flawlessly, and is put
    >up for sale. However, unbeknownst to everybody, the fault is
    >intermittent. Any number of things could cause this, such as a
    >defective solder joint, cracked resistor, bent or dirty contact, etc.
    >3) The next purchaser of the camera is screwed. The real problem was
    >never fixed.
    >
    >My 2¢
    >
    >BTW, I was very pleased with the Kodak. For a 2 M-pixel unit, it took
    >beautiful pictures. But, I've upgraded to a higher quality 4 M-pixel
    >that produces less vibrant colors.
    >
    >Orrin

    Oh, yes, a refurbished piece of electronics can be a crap shoot.

    A referbished digital camera is a whole different ball game from a refurbished
    easy chair...

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Jan 14, 2004
  11. noname

    Don Coon Guest

    "Dave Head" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:43:02 -0800, Orrin Iseminger <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:01:36 -0500, "noname" <>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi
    > >>would you buy a camera refurbished from the manufacturer and why?
    > >>something like some Nikon coolpix
    > >>the price is very advantageous, but the guaranty is a bit week...
    > >>are the refurbished cameras any less good?
    > >>anybody please....
    > >>TIA
    > >>stef.
    > >>

    > >I bought a "refurbished" Kodak digital. It was pristine and showed no
    > >indication of ever being used or handled, such as micro-scratches in
    > >the plastic parts. I'm convinced it was factory new and the
    > >"refurbished" gimmick was a means of dumping excess inventory of a
    > >discontinued model.
    > >
    > >OTOH, I'd be wary of a genuinely refurbished unit. I've seen
    > >altogether too many "intermittent" electronic problems. Here's the
    > >scenario:
    > >
    > >1) Customer's camera is defective, so it is exchanged and the
    > >defective camera is returned to mfg. for refurbishing.
    > >2) Not knowing the history of the camera, the repair facility
    > >performs all tests on the camera and it works, flawlessly, and is put
    > >up for sale. However, unbeknownst to everybody, the fault is
    > >intermittent. Any number of things could cause this, such as a
    > >defective solder joint, cracked resistor, bent or dirty contact, etc.
    > >3) The next purchaser of the camera is screwed. The real problem was
    > >never fixed.
    > >
    > >My 2¢
    > >
    > >BTW, I was very pleased with the Kodak. For a 2 M-pixel unit, it took
    > >beautiful pictures. But, I've upgraded to a higher quality 4 M-pixel
    > >that produces less vibrant colors.
    > >
    > >Orrin
    > >

    > Oh, yes, a refurbished piece of electronics can be a crap shoot.
    >
    > A referbished digital camera is a whole different ball game from a

    refurbished
    > easy chair...
    >
    > Dave Head

    I've purchased refurbished gear numerous times and have had only one lemon.
    It was a Fuji digicam which wouldn't work more than a few minutes on a fully
    charged set of batteries. No problem returning it for full credit including
    shipping. All my other purchases including a Nikon 995, Canon lenses, TiVo
    unit, and others have performed as new.

    I wouldn't call buying refurbished gear a crap shoot since I've had,
    percentage wise, as many lemons buying new. A motherboard, memory chips and
    studio lights come to mind.

    Don Coon, Jan 15, 2004
  12. noname

    Michael Guest

    > Oh, yes, a refurbished piece of electronics can be a crap shoot.
    >
    > A referbished digital camera is a whole different ball game from a
    > refurbished easy chair...

    I have bought a lot of refurbished electronic items, printer, scanner,
    computer, but not a camera. No problems with any of them. In theory, every
    item that is refurbished is individually tested, whereas new products
    coming off of the assembly line are often sampled, so some of them are not
    completely tested.

    --
    To email me remove the numbers from my address.
    Custom Photo Restoration http://www.infocusdesign.com

    Michael, Jan 15, 2004
  13. So what sites on the web are good places to buy refurbished items?

    Dreamspinner3, Jan 15, 2004
  14. noname

    noname Guest

    noname, Jan 15, 2004