    kept all my personal data and software, I may have lost some short cuts but
    was able to recreate them.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Magen, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Magen

    °Mike° Guest

    What do you mean by "refresh Windows 98"?
    Installing Windows over the top of itself retains settings,
    but it also retains any problems, particularly registry
    problems.

    What is the purpose of you doing this?

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:58:48 -0400, in
    <8Pxwb.649$>
    Magen scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Magen

    Boomer Guest

    "Magen" <> wrote in

    > I would like to refresh Windows98. I do not want to format and
    > have to reinstall other software or lose user data..
    > * Can I refresh from the original CD without losing user data,
    > such as "My Documents", Outlook address book and importantly
    > internet connection settings.
    > I will be doing this for a friend and do not want the heat of them
    > losing their data, or the work of having to pull my hard drive to
    > back up their system or me having to reinstall and test all their
    > personal software and settings.
    > I believe I did this once on my own system, which refreshed my
    > Win98 and kept all my personal data and software, I may have lost
    > some short cuts but was able to recreate them.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Hi

    You're best bet it to "clean up" their machine. :)

    --
    I need to go lie down in a darkened room.
    -anOLDun
    Boomer, Nov 25, 2003
  4. But, sometimes missing or corrupt files can be restored by reinstalling
    Windows. I agree that a format and install can sometimed be the only cure.
    As Mike said what is the problem?
    Spike

    michael davis, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Magen

    Magen Guest

    I am doing this because their (friends') system is full of
    spyware, constantly dropping internet connection and real slow. I downloaded
    Adware and ran it, it helped but still having problems.
    The ginst_001.exe/ Gator have been a real pain.
    I have read your http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html page
    and have completed the page items, it is the sypware I cannot completely get
    rid off. I've read your posted list of new sypware and I found just about
    everyone from your list on their system.
    Yes as refresh I meant reinstalling windows over itself.
    The registry and Startup definitely need cleaning up.
    Some spyware I think I have cleaned up, deselected it in the
    msconfig/Startup but after rebooting I find it again selected in the Startup
    file.
    Again Thanks for any suggestions.

    Magen, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Magen

    °Mike° Guest

    Reinstalling Windows over the top will do *NOTHING* to
    get rid of spyware. Install HijackThis and post the contents
    of the log here.

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:24:50 -0400, in
    <ybywb.659$>
    Magen scrawled:

    >I am doing this because their (friends') system is full of
    >spyware, constantly dropping internet connection and real slow. I downloaded
    >Adware and ran it, it helped but still having problems.
    >The ginst_001.exe/ Gator have been a real pain.
    >I have read your http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html page
    >and have completed the page items, it is the sypware I cannot completely get
    >rid off. I've read your posted list of new sypware and I found just about
    >everyone from your list on their system.
    >Yes as refresh I meant reinstalling windows over itself.
    >The registry and Startup definitely need cleaning up.
    >Some spyware I think I have cleaned up, deselected it in the
    >msconfig/Startup but after rebooting I find it again selected in the Startup
    >file.
    >Again Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> What do you mean by "refresh Windows 98"?
    >> Installing Windows over the top of itself retains settings,
    >> but it also retains any problems, particularly registry
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> What is the purpose of you doing this?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Magen

    Magen Guest

    OK, will go to their place tomorrow and do.
    Thanks

    Magen, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Magen

    Gimme Guest