Refresh rate

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by antwine, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. antwine

    antwine Guest

    Win XP Pro
    GeForce 4 MX4000 video
    FujiPlus 19' LCD

    When I change pages or otherwise renew the display on this
    monitor it hesitates for about a second or two, screen goes black
    and the desired view arises. This has happened since I
    replaced my video card with the above listed.
    I believe it is related to the refresh rate but when I go through the
    control panel to display, setting, monitor the refresh rate is
    listed as 60 and that is the only rate listed - I cannot change it.
    I have googled, checked MS, uninstalled/reinstalled the
    monitor to no avail.
    When my replaced card, an ATI was working I distinctly remember
    that several refresh rates were posted but not with this card. I
    have tried to get new drivers from NVidia and Fujiplus both but
    Nvidia tells me I have the latest issue and Fujiplus does not even
    have a support option.
    Can someone help? If it is not the refresh rate I still need help.

    antwine, Apr 14, 2006

  2. antwine

    Zitty Guest

    "antwine" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP Pro
    > GeForce 4 MX4000 video
    > FujiPlus 19' LCD
    >
    > When I change pages or otherwise renew the display on this
    > monitor it hesitates for about a second or two, screen goes black
    > and the desired view arises. This has happened since I
    > replaced my video card with the above listed.

    Change PAGES??
    If you mean change screen mode (say from 800x600 to 1024x768 etc), then the
    black screen for a few seconds is normal.

    > I believe it is related to the refresh rate but when I go through the
    > control panel to display, setting, monitor the refresh rate is
    > listed as 60 and that is the only rate listed - I cannot change it.
    > I have googled, checked MS, uninstalled/reinstalled the
    > monitor to no avail.

    You should have a tickbox to allow you to hide modes the display can't
    show - unchecking that often reveals the other refresh rates... but seeing
    as the monitor won't support them; its a bit pointless.

    Zitty, Apr 14, 2006

  3. antwine

    Supersano Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:35:58 -0700, antwine wrote:

    > Win XP Pro
    > GeForce 4 MX4000 video
    > FujiPlus 19' LCD
    >
    > When I change pages or otherwise renew the display on this
    > monitor it hesitates for about a second or two, screen goes black
    > and the desired view arises. This has happened since I
    > replaced my video card with the above listed.
    > I believe it is related to the refresh rate but when I go through the
    > control panel to display, setting, monitor the refresh rate is
    > listed as 60 and that is the only rate listed - I cannot change it.
    > I have googled, checked MS, uninstalled/reinstalled the
    > monitor to no avail.
    > When my replaced card, an ATI was working I distinctly remember
    > that several refresh rates were posted but not with this card. I
    > have tried to get new drivers from NVidia and Fujiplus both but
    > Nvidia tells me I have the latest issue and Fujiplus does not even
    > have a support option.
    > Can someone help? If it is not the refresh rate I still need help.

    I don't know about XP Pro, but in W98SE I have a set of drivers for my
    19" NEC lcd. AFAIK all lcds run at 60Mhz, anything higher won't help and
    will probably damage the lcd.

    In 98, Contol Panel> Device Manager> Monitor and set the drivers for the
    display there. I know XP is similar, I'm not sure of the path.

    In 98, I can't speak for XP, replacing a vid card invloves changing the
    default display card to bare VGA drivers and shut down. Remove the old
    card, install the new card.

    Boot, then install the new card's drivers, with the install cd, or
    navigating to a folder that you've already put the new drivers into.

    --
    The aim of an argument or discussion
    should not be victory, but progress.

    Supersano, Apr 14, 2006
  4. X-No-Archive: YES
    Supersano [] has entered into testimony

    > On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:35:58 -0700, antwine wrote:
    >
    >> Win XP Pro
    >> GeForce 4 MX4000 video
    >> FujiPlus 19' LCD
    >>
    >> When I change pages or otherwise renew the display on this
    >> monitor it hesitates for about a second or two, screen goes black
    >> and the desired view arises. This has happened since I
    >> replaced my video card with the above listed.
    >> I believe it is related to the refresh rate but when I go through the
    >> control panel to display, setting, monitor the refresh rate is
    >> listed as 60 and that is the only rate listed - I cannot change it.
    >> I have googled, checked MS, uninstalled/reinstalled the
    >> monitor to no avail.
    >> When my replaced card, an ATI was working I distinctly remember
    >> that several refresh rates were posted but not with this card. I
    >> have tried to get new drivers from NVidia and Fujiplus both but
    >> Nvidia tells me I have the latest issue and Fujiplus does not even
    >> have a support option.
    >> Can someone help? If it is not the refresh rate I still need help.

    > I don't know about XP Pro, but in W98SE I have a set of drivers for my
    > 19" NEC lcd. AFAIK all lcds run at 60Mhz, anything higher won't help
    > and will probably damage the lcd.

    60MHz? Thats about a million times faster than the default refresh on
    most 'puters peddled today... in fact, it's EXACTLY a million times
    faster. Literally.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 14, 2006
  5. antwine

    EricP Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:58:08 GMT, "Chadwick Stone©"
    <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Supersano [] has entered into testimony
    >

    >> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:35:58 -0700, antwine wrote:
    >>
    >>> Win XP Pro
    >>> GeForce 4 MX4000 video
    >>> FujiPlus 19' LCD
    >>>
    >>> When I change pages or otherwise renew the display on this
    >>> monitor it hesitates for about a second or two, screen goes black
    >>> and the desired view arises. This has happened since I
    >>> replaced my video card with the above listed.
    >>> I believe it is related to the refresh rate but when I go through the
    >>> control panel to display, setting, monitor the refresh rate is
    >>> listed as 60 and that is the only rate listed - I cannot change it.
    >>> I have googled, checked MS, uninstalled/reinstalled the
    >>> monitor to no avail.
    >>> When my replaced card, an ATI was working I distinctly remember
    >>> that several refresh rates were posted but not with this card. I
    >>> have tried to get new drivers from NVidia and Fujiplus both but
    >>> Nvidia tells me I have the latest issue and Fujiplus does not even
    >>> have a support option.
    >>> Can someone help? If it is not the refresh rate I still need help.

    >> I don't know about XP Pro, but in W98SE I have a set of drivers for my
    >> 19" NEC lcd. AFAIK all lcds run at 60Mhz, anything higher won't help
    >> and will probably damage the lcd.

    >60MHz? Thats about a million times faster than the default refresh on
    >most 'puters peddled today... in fact, it's EXACTLY a million times
    >faster. Literally.

    Bet it's wicked for gaming though!

    EricP, Apr 15, 2006
  6. antwine

    Ponder Guest

    In <> Supersano wrote:

    > I don't know about XP Pro, but in W98SE I have a set of drivers for my
    > 19" NEC lcd. AFAIK all lcds run at 60Mhz, anything higher won't help and
    > will probably damage the lcd.

    60MHz?

    Anyway, typos aside, this is my (Windows box) monitor:

    http://www.superwarehouse.com/Xerox_XG-91D_19_Silver_LCD_Monitor/XG-91D/ps/623261

    1280x1024@75Hz - 15Hz over the 60 ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Apr 15, 2006
  7. antwine

    Supersano Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:41:42 GMT, Ponder wrote:

    > In <> Supersano wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know about XP Pro, but in W98SE I have a set of drivers for my
    >> 19" NEC lcd. AFAIK all lcds run at 60Mhz, anything higher won't help and
    >> will probably damage the lcd.

    > 60MHz?
    >
    > Anyway, typos aside, this is my (Windows box) monitor:
    >
    > http://www.superwarehouse.com/Xerox_XG-91D_19_Silver_LCD_Monitor/XG-91D/ps/623261
    >
    > 1280x1024@75Hz - 15Hz over the 60 ;)

    No dvi on mine. Gotta run the nVidia card through a plug too.

    http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-NEC_19_25_1280_1024_SILVER_TFT_LCD_NEW_NEC

    500 to 1 contrast. But it's going on almost 2 years. <grin>
    --
    There's no gay cowboy like a lesbian cowboy.
    Thanks groo-- AFCA Summary03-31-06

    Supersano, Apr 15, 2006
  8. antwine

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-14, antwine <> wrote:
    > Win XP Pro
    > GeForce 4 MX4000 video
    > FujiPlus 19' LCD
    >
    > When I change pages or otherwise renew the display on this
    > monitor it hesitates for about a second or two, screen goes black
    > and the desired view arises. This has happened since I
    > replaced my video card with the above listed.
    > I believe it is related to the refresh rate but when I go through the
    > control panel to display, setting, monitor the refresh rate is
    > listed as 60 and that is the only rate listed - I cannot change it.
    > I have googled, checked MS, uninstalled/reinstalled the
    > monitor to no avail.
    > When my replaced card, an ATI was working I distinctly remember
    > that several refresh rates were posted but not with this card. I
    > have tried to get new drivers from NVidia and Fujiplus both but
    > Nvidia tells me I have the latest issue and Fujiplus does not even
    > have a support option.
    > Can someone help? If it is not the refresh rate I still need help.

    It sounds to me like it's a bad Nvidia driver install and that the system is
    balking and switching to a generic VGA driver.

    The LCD has dvi/vga ports so unless you used an adapter on the dvi (for some
    reason) then the vga should work fine.

    If I were going to monkey with it:
    I would get a fresh download of the Nvidia driver and remember where it
    is :)

    Then, I would make sure I had the LCD setup disk ready.

    Lastly, I would uninstall the old NVidia driver via device manager- Don't
    just pretend to replace the old with the new at this point- and reboot the
    machine.

    Let it find the new hardware and point it at the new driver.

    --
    Of course, then *I* would probably find out that it was a different problem:
    'Prisoner of Murphey's Law'

    Jimchip, Apr 15, 2006