    I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
    flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
    it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.
    SchoolTech, May 9, 2006

  2. SchoolTech

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SchoolTech <> wrote in news:44604243$1
    @clear.net.nz:

    > I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
    > flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
    > it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

    If you RTFM for the LCD, you will find they like to have some specific
    input refresh AND resolution. My Viewsonic VA905 likes 1280x1024@60 or
    75hz.
    I have heard people complain about blurry etc on LCD. They probably got
    one that is too big for their preferred font size, or don't have the
    resolution optimized. The most flexible display for that type of user is a
    big, high quality CRT.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 9, 2006

  3. SchoolTech

    J Brockley Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    >I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
    >flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set it
    >as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

    If you seeing flicker at 60hz it more likely a bad backlight. Mine flickers
    a bit at startup on a cold day.
    60hz is the recommended rate for every LCD I've seen but most will support
    up to 75hz.
    J Brockley, May 10, 2006
  4. SchoolTech

    Guest

    On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:18:27 +1200, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
    >flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
    >it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

    There is no flicker with LCD monitors as they do not work the same as a CRT..

    Mine has 2 settings, 60/72hz, most articles seem to say set it at 60hz..

    Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at 35hz..
    , May 10, 2006
  5. On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:18:27 +1200, SchoolTech wrote:

    > I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
    > flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
    > it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.

    Are you using DVI or not?

    Some LCD makers recommend 75 Hz. I usually switch between 60 Hz or 75 Hz
    and one will usually be blurry.
    wogers nemesis, May 10, 2006
  6. SchoolTech

    Kent Smith Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at 35hz..

    It's a different technology, different viewing conditions, etc. Actually,
    most are 24fps, but the bulb stays on and the shutter rate will be 48 or 72
    Hz to give the effect of reduced flicker.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, May 10, 2006
  7. SchoolTech

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at 35hz..

    Yes. *huge* amounts. It's quite horrible any time a movie camera zooms
    or pans. Especially if you're sitting near the front. It's only 24
    frames per second.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, May 11, 2006
  8. SchoolTech

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Also do you see flicker when you go to the Movies, ? as they run at
    >> 35hz..

    > It's a different technology... <snip>

    As are LCDs compared to CRTs. I think that was the point of the comment.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 11, 2006
  9. SchoolTech

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-09, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    > SchoolTech <> wrote in news:44604243$1
    > @clear.net.nz:
    >
    >> I thought it wasn't necessary to bother with this setting on LCDs as the
    >> flicker is nothing like on a CRT screen. Now it seems you do have to set
    >> it as at 60Hz the flicker can still be quite noticeable.
    >>

    > If you RTFM for the LCD, you will find they like to have some specific
    > input refresh AND resolution. My Viewsonic VA905 likes 1280x1024@60 or
    > 75hz.
    > I have heard people complain about blurry etc on LCD. They probably got
    > one that is too big for their preferred font size, or don't have the
    > resolution optimized. The most flexible display for that type of user is a
    > big, high quality CRT.

    yeah, if you can get the pixel and sync rates to match what the LCD wants
    you get nice sharp text with well-defined pixels

    else you get blurry images or moire patterns where the video card and lcd's
    pixels edges don't line up.

    apparently this is only an issue when using VGA connectors not with HDMI (or
    whatever it's called).

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, May 14, 2006