    tried scanning with different scans but with no luck and would like to start
    fresh anyway. Your help would be greatful. (not to good with computers
    laymans terms please)
    Don, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Don

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot from the XP CD. It will give you the option to reformat.

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:20:15 -0500, in
    <C0Sub.46$>
    Don scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Don

    Harrison Guest

    Boot to the XP CD.
    Initiate the installation process and you will be given the option of
    deleting existing partitions and creating new ones.
    Delete the existing system partition and create a new one.
    Choose to install to the newly created partition and you will be
    prompted to format it.

    Before Re-installing:
    Inventory your hardware and make sure you have the XP drivers for at
    least your modem or network card before you format. If you don't have
    these drivers, and Windows doesn't have them, you won't be able to get
    online to get them or anything else.

    Run the XP setup while disconnected from the net.
    Once the installation is complete, enable the Windows connection
    firewall. This will prevent you from becoming immediately infected
    with Blaster or Welchia viruses.

    Once connected, run Windows Update and install ALL critical updates.

    Install and update antivirus BEFORE you check your e-mail.

    Optionally, you may want to also check for any available BIOS updates
    and flash them before reinstalling as well.

    Good Luck!

    Harrison, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Don

    Budweiser Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm Running Win XP home and want to reformat, how do I go about doing
    > it . I have some kind of e-mail virus and was told it was in the registry.

    > tried scanning with different scans but with no luck and would like to

    start
    > fresh anyway. Your help would be greatful. (not to good with computers
    > laymans terms please)

    seems kind of a drastic solution to a minor problem (as in my car is dirty i
    will get a new one) but if you do not have much on the machine it could be
    the fastest way
    insert xp disc( -or recovery disc)and follow on screen instructions
    a couple of things to remember
    you are about to loose all you current data--nothing will be left
    do you have all your install discs for printers/scanners/sound/graphics et
    all---this should not be an issue if you bought a package from "pc world" or
    similar as your recovery disc will have it all

    as in your own admission you are not good with pcs i would suggest you get
    proffesional help via a "litterate" friend or your local shop
    Budweiser, Nov 19, 2003