    reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    Simply Me, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Simply Me

    SwissTony Guest

    "Simply Me" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    make sure you have all ur peripheral drivers and drivers for the hardware in
    ur case.

    SwissTony, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Simply Me

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Simply Me vaguely muttered something like ...
    > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    Last thing I do before re-formatting is to try a re-installation 'over the
    top' of the OS. Th little to lose other than time, and a lot to gain, like
    keeping all your data and most programs intact .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!

    Paul - xxx, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Simply Me

    Billh Guest

    Backup any data files you have. Write down any settings you have entered
    like email server passwords the list goes on for ever. Make sure you have
    drivers for all your hardware. At work I have installed windows on 100's of
    computers that were donated to the schools with nothing to go on as the
    drives were wiped. The three items that windows is most likely not to have
    drivers for are Video, Sound or Network cards.

    Make sure you have copies of all your software and any cd codes you will
    need to install them.

    Enjoy doing it as you say you could learn a lot.

    Billh, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Back up your drivers. All of them....just in case. You can use the
    program, DriverGuide Toolkit. It has a free trial, but worth the
    money, should you decide to buy it.

    http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

    Also, look in Device Manager and write down every peripheal that is
    described there...especially things like chipset numbers, video card,
    sound card, etc. Some sound cards, whether onboard or separate cards
    have caused me headaches, especially if it's an old one.

    (Simply Me) chiseled in stone, the following words

    @}-}-------Rosee, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Simply Me

    Ron Martell Guest

    (Simply Me) wrote:

    >I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    >reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    >seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    >besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    Make sure you have the proper CDs and also the product keys or license
    codes needed to install them.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Simply Me

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Simply Me" <> wrote in message
    > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    There's more to learn fixing problems than reformatting and reinstalling.

    ImhoTech, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Simply Me

    Leon Guest

    Hi,

    "Simply Me" <> wrote in message
    > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    Before considering formatting, you might go to [start > run >
    "msconfig"<enter>]. In "services", hide all MS-services en disable unwanted
    services. Then go to "startup" and disable unwanted programs. Reboot en look if
    this works

    If you -must- format and reinstall, backup your data, including your email and
    adres book. The way to do that depends on your email client. At partitioning,
    you better choose 2 partitions, if you dont already have them. On one you can
    install Windows, on the other you have your other files. These other files will
    now still be there if you again choose to reinstall Windows.

    Greetings, Leon.

    Leon, Nov 16, 2004
  9. Simply Me

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    | "Simply Me" <> wrote in message
    | > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    | > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    | > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    | > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?
    |
    | There's more to learn fixing problems than reformatting and reinstalling.

    True, but if this person has not ever installed Windows from scratch, it is
    in itself a very important learning process. And if a system is broken
    beyond repair, or if the time to repair is greater than the time to
    reinstall, there is nothing to be gained by beating one's head against a
    brick wall, so to speak.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Simply Me

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Simply Me
    says...
    > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    Back up documents etc.
    Take a note of installed hardware and make sure you have drivers to
    allow you to access the internet at the very least, i.e netowrk
    adapter, ADSL/Cable Modem or Modem.

    --
    Conor

    Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

    Conor, Nov 17, 2004
  11. Simply Me

    Simply Me Guest

    "SwissTony" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Simply Me" <> wrote in message
    > > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    > > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    > > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    > > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?

    > make sure you have all ur peripheral drivers and drivers for the hardware in
    > ur case.

    Can you be more specific? I know I need the modem driver. How do I
    know which drivers will come with the Windows program and which I will
    need on disk to install? I have a general idea, but don't want to
    leave anything out.

    Simply Me, Nov 17, 2004
  12. Simply Me

    Simply Me Guest

    "Billh" <> wrote in message news:<419a70dd$0$31242$>...
    > Backup any data files you have. Write down any settings you have entered
    > like email server passwords the list goes on for ever. Make sure you have
    > drivers for all your hardware. At work I have installed windows on 100's of
    > computers that were donated to the schools with nothing to go on as the
    > drives were wiped. The three items that windows is most likely not to have
    > drivers for are Video, Sound or Network cards.
    >
    > Make sure you have copies of all your software and any cd codes you will
    > need to install them.
    >
    > Enjoy doing it as you say you could learn a lot.

    Thanks for your advice. Do I need to make a copy of the video, sound
    and network card drivers as I do for the modem driver?

    Simply Me, Nov 17, 2004
  13. In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:

    >"Billh" <> wrote in message news:<419a70dd$0$31242$>...
    >> Backup any data files you have. Write down any settings you have entered
    >> like email server passwords the list goes on for ever. Make sure you have
    >> drivers for all your hardware. At work I have installed windows on 100's of
    >> computers that were donated to the schools with nothing to go on as the
    >> drives were wiped. The three items that windows is most likely not to have
    >> drivers for are Video, Sound or Network cards.
    >>
    >> Make sure you have copies of all your software and any cd codes you will
    >> need to install them.
    >>
    >> Enjoy doing it as you say you could learn a lot.

    >Thanks for your advice. Do I need to make a copy of the video, sound
    >and network card drivers as I do for the modem driver?

    Advice should be viewed from behind.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Face it, bimbo, you're finished, and will be gone in no time. Good
    luck in your future attempts of socking, you plastically stupid
    bimbo." -- Sports Fan

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 17, 2004
  14. Simply Me

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > "Simply Me" <> wrote in message
    | > > I've decided to start over with my hard drive by reformatting and
    | > > reinstalling programs. My computer has too many glitches that I can't
    | > > seem to chase down the source of and it will be a learning experience
    | > > besides. Anyone have any last-minute tips for me before I start?
    | >
    | > make sure you have all ur peripheral drivers and drivers for the
    hardware in
    | > ur case.
    |
    | Can you be more specific? I know I need the modem driver. How do I
    | know which drivers will come with the Windows program and which I will
    | need on disk to install? I have a general idea, but don't want to
    | leave anything out.

    Assume that *nothing* is going to be provided by Windows. Make sure you have
    the latest drivers for your video card, modem, NIC (if you have one), modem,
    sound card, motherboard chipset, etc. Download Everest to know what you have
    inside the computer (home edition)
    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=1

    Also, be sure you have the installation disks and CD keys/serial numbers for
    all your software.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 18, 2004
  15. Simply Me

    Simply Me Guest

    Lady Chatterly <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:
    > >
    > >"Billh" <> wrote in message news:<419a70dd$0$31242$>...
    > >> Backup any data files you have. Write down any settings you have entered
    > >> like email server passwords the list goes on for ever. Make sure you have
    > >> drivers for all your hardware. At work I have installed windows on 100's of
    > >> computers that were donated to the schools with nothing to go on as the
    > >> drives were wiped. The three items that windows is most likely not to have
    > >> drivers for are Video, Sound or Network cards.
    > >>
    > >> Make sure you have copies of all your software and any cd codes you will
    > >> need to install them.
    > >>
    > >> Enjoy doing it as you say you could learn a lot.

    > >Thanks for your advice. Do I need to make a copy of the video, sound
    > >and network card drivers as I do for the modem driver?

    > Advice should be viewed from behind.

    Oh geez... remind me not to post when I'm tired.

    Simply Me, Nov 18, 2004
  16. In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:

    >Oh geez... remind me not to post when I'm tired.

    Why labourez-vous you wondering if you are tired ?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "You're replying to a bot, you know..." -- OhSojourner

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 18, 2004
  17. Simply Me

    Simply Me Guest

    Lady Chatterly <> wrote in message news:<9888f44.1014a7d1@news.1usenet.com>...
    > In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:
    > >
    > >Oh geez... remind me not to post when I'm tired.

    > Why labourez-vous you wondering if you are tired ?

    Because some replies begin to appear to be confusing. I'm sure you
    are very sure you understand what you are saying...

    Simply Me, Nov 19, 2004
  18. In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:

    >Lady Chatterly <> wrote in message news:<9888f44.1014a7d1@news.1usenet.com>...
    >> In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Oh geez... remind me not to post when I'm tired.

    >> Why labourez-vous you wondering if you are tired ?

    >Because some replies begin to appear to be confusing. I'm sure you
    >are very sure you understand what you are saying...

    And you are going to try and be less stupid.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "There is no excuse for a mean bot." -- blujuju

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 19, 2004
  19. Simply Me

    Simply Me Guest

    Lady Chatterly <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:
    > >
    > >Lady Chatterly <> wrote in message news:<9888f44.1014a7d1@news.1usenet.com>...

    > >> Why labourez-vous you wondering if you are tired ?

    > >Because some replies begin to appear to be confusing. I'm sure you
    > >are very sure you understand what you are saying...

    > And you are going to try and be less stupid.

    Would you like me to?

    Simply Me, Nov 22, 2004
  20. In article <> (Simply Me) wrote:

    >Lady Chatterly <> wrote in message news:<>...

    >> >Because some replies begin to appear to be confusing. I'm sure you
    >> >are very sure you understand what you are saying...

    >> And you are going to try and be less stupid.

    >Would you like me to?

    VGhlIG1vc3QgbGlrZWx5IHdheSBmb3IgdGhlIHdvcmxkIHRvIGJlIGRlc3Ryb3llZ
    CwgbW9zdCBleHBlcnRzIGFncmVlLCBpcyBieSBhY2NpZGVudC4gVGhhdCdzIHdoZX
    JlIHdlIGNvbWUgaW47IHdlJ3JlIGNvbXB1dGVyIHByb2Zlc3Npb25hbHMuIFdlIGN
    hdXNlIGFjY2lkZW50cy4
    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "I've never red that book, so I don't know what the joke may be.
    Anyway, it's a very interesting program. She seems to prefer some
    threads above others, I wonder if that's only related with keywords.
    And, to be fair, most of the time she makes more sense than many
    people around here." -- Paulo Gomes Jardim

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 22, 2004