    hard drive before. Is there a good site anyone can recommend that I can go
    to that would give me instructions? Thanks in advance.

    Duncan
    DD Woodford, Apr 30, 2005

  2. DD Woodford

    old jon Guest

    I`m afraid you can`t reformat a drive, ans keep the operating system (Win98)
    on it. All you can do is have a go at removing anything that you don`t want
    Mum to find.(if that applies of course). best wishes..J

    old jon, Apr 30, 2005

  3. "DD Woodford" <> wrote in message
    >I have an old computer that I want to give to my mother. Is there away I
    >can reformat the HD without erasing Windows? I have searched high and low
    >and simply can't find my old Windows 98 disk. Also, I've never reformatted
    >a hard drive before. Is there a good site anyone can recommend that I can
    >go to that would give me instructions? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Duncan

    Reformatting will wipe out the existing opeating system and data. If you
    haven't got an install disc/CD with valid serial number, you can't reinstall
    the operating system.

    Instead, first get rid of all your data files including identities,
    newsgroup and email dbx files and accounts by using shift/delete so stuff
    won't go into the recycle bin which you should empty. Next download CCLEANER
    and let if fix up the registry errors and wipe needless files and histories.
    Then d/l PGP or one of the other security programs and do a DOD security
    wipe on the remaining free space on the disk. Lastly, defrag.

    You'll be giving mom a stable machine to use-- and won't have to worry about
    her accidentally stumbling onto pix from your favorite porn site or reading
    any embarrasing emails.

    Cleburrne
    Patrick Cleburne, Apr 30, 2005
  4. DD Woodford

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    DD Woodford wrote:
    > I have an old computer that I want to give to my mother. Is there away I
    > can reformat the HD without erasing Windows? I have searched high and low
    > and simply can't find my old Windows 98 disk. Also, I've never reformatted a
    > hard drive before. Is there a good site anyone can recommend that I can go
    > to that would give me instructions? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Duncan

    Have a look and see if c:\windows\options\cabs exists. This should
    contain all the 98 install files so if you copy them to a CD you have a
    new install CD.

    To get your install key, download and run Belarc Advisor.

    Make a boot disk with CD support, and install from the CD you have made.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Apr 30, 2005
  5. DD Woodford

    JANA Guest

    You will have to re-install Windows if you format the drive.

    Have you thought about simply erasing all that you do not want passed to
    your mother?

    Have you been visiting naughty sites, and you don't want your mom to know?

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 30, 2005
  6. DD Woodford

    DD Woodford Guest

    Thank you. I will give this a try. What is d/1 PGP? I'm not familiar with
    this. Is it a program or part of CCleaner?

    DD Woodford, Apr 30, 2005
  7. DD Woodford

    trout Guest

    DD Woodford wrote:

    > Thank you. I will give this a try. What is d/1 PGP? I'm not
    > familiar with this. Is it a program or part of CCleaner?

    That's "d/l" (download) "PGP". Generic term for "Pretty Good Privacy"
    encryption. Google it up.

    trout, Apr 30, 2005
  8. DD Woodford

    DD Woodford Guest

    No. That's not my worry. They're in their 70's and don't do more than
    emails and solitaire. I have Quicken and Turbotax and I simply wanted a
    clean erase for those purposes. I've decided to simply install a lot of the
    programs that are really unnecessary for them. However, I just took off
    something that I probably should not have.... I have Windows 98 and thought
    there was a way to restore things as they were, say on a certain day
    (something like that). I've posted a new post on information regarding
    that. As you may have guessed, I'm not the most computer literate person...

    DD Woodford, May 1, 2005
  9. DD Woodford

    Plato Guest

    DD Woodford wrote:

    > I have an old computer that I want to give to my mother. Is there away I
    > can reformat the HD without erasing Windows? I have searched high and low
    > and simply can't find my old Windows 98 disk. Also, I've never reformatted a

    Sooner or later you, or your mom will need that disk. So, best bet is to
    acquire one.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 1, 2005
  10. DD Woodford

    trout Guest

    DD Woodford wrote:

    > No. That's not my worry. They're in their 70's and don't do more than
    > emails and solitaire. I have Quicken and Turbotax and I simply
    > wanted a clean erase for those purposes. I've decided to simply
    > install a lot of the programs that are really unnecessary for them.
    > However, I just took off something that I probably should not
    > have.... I have Windows 98 and thought there was a way to restore
    > things as they were, say on a certain day (something like that).
    > I've posted a new post on information regarding that. As you may
    > have guessed, I'm not the most computer literate person...

    <snip>

    You should find a method here to get you out of the hot water:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/1999111116313539
    (if the link 'wraps', you may need to paste it into your browser.)
    --
    Then, whatever you did... don't do that anymore.
    trout, May 1, 2005