    I will be asked to produce the latter?

    Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
    Joy

    Joy, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Joy

    Paul Guest

    Umm depends what the drivers
    are Joy. And whats in your system.

    Did you buy the computer as a system?

    If so, the drivers would be on the CD/s.

    Have you got the 98 SE CD itself?
    And is it the full or upgrade version
    of 98 SE?

    Nah I wouldnt waste $80. Formatting
    is easy enough. Once you format
    the hard drive, and reinstall Win98.

    Umm do you think you can get back onto
    the net once you reinstall Windows?

    98 may or may not install the modem
    driver. You have to find out what the
    brand of modem, you have. Which will
    make it easier to find a driver for it.

    I would if you can, find out the brand
    of modem before you format. And
    save the drivers onto a disk/floppy.

    In order to reformat, chuck in the 98
    CD, you have to go into the BIOS
    (pressing DEL key or F1 should do it)

    It should tell you what key when u bootup
    (usually tells u at the screen, when u boot
    the PC). Which key. Find BOOT in the
    BIOS and change it to CD. Then save
    the config in BIOS. If that 98 CD
    is bootable, press a key should appear
    on the screen, and the CD will install
    98. After a while, it may ask u to put
    a previous v of windows in (put the 95
    disk or CD in), then it should continue
    installing Win98 SE. Once it has finished
    installing 98, Go back into the BIOS
    and change the BOOT back to C:

    So, it'll run Windows from the hard
    drive. If you can manage to get the
    driver, for the modem, you can
    go to the Windowsupdate site,
    and it should be able to pick up other
    drivers, that your PC needs.

    Most Windows versions pick up
    what in your system, but this
    doesnt always work with modems.

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f49c3ff$...
    > Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
    >
    > I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened. It's
    > running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
    > I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try

    myself.
    > The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and kept handy?
    > I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that if I use the

    former,

    Paul, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Joy

    Stuart Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Most Windows versions pick up
    > what in your system, but this
    > doesnt always work with modems.

    I hate it when it asks you for the driver for a "PCI Communication Device",
    especially when you're dealing with somebody else's computer.

    Definitely definitely definitely find out your modem make, and download the
    driver for it. If you've got that you can download any other drivers you
    find you need from the net.

    Stuart

    ---

    Stuart, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:07:31 +1200, Joy wrote:

    > Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
    >
    > I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened. It's
    > running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.

    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm

    WinDriversBackup Personal Edition is a free utility for personal,
    non-commercial use, provided by JerMar Software Corp. specifically
    for backing up your Windows system driver files.

    WinDriversBackup can identify all of your Windows driver files and
    save them to a secure location in two simple mouse clicks.

    Backing up your Windows driver files means they will be available
    to you the next time you need to reinstall the driver or the whole
    operating system. WinDriversBackup places the driver files in one
    organized location of your choosing.

    Unquote

    Its also on the cover disk of the August 2003 edition of APC.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

    Gordon, Aug 26, 2003
  5. Joy

    Joy Guest

    > > Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
    > >
    > > I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened.

    It's
    > > running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
    > > I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try

    > myself.
    > > The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and kept handy?
    > > I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that if I use the

    > former,
    > > I will be asked to produce the latter?
    > >
    > > Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
    > > Joy

    Thanks for that. I guess until you try you don't know. I'd prefer to see
    it done before I had to do it but thats not possible. I've other boxes so a
    complete ballsup will not hurt anything except my pride since it would point
    out my complete incompetence.
    Joy

    Joy, Aug 26, 2003
  6. Joy

    Rob Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f4ad888$...

    > Thanks for that. I guess until you try you don't know. I'd prefer to see
    > it done before I had to do it but thats not possible. I've other boxes so

    > complete ballsup will not hurt anything except my pride since it would

    point
    > out my complete incompetence.
    > Joy

    Hey, don't worry about messing up or feeling incometent. We've all blown
    os's or file systems or somesuch at some stage early in our road to geekdom
    (and sometimes not so early as well {blush})

    Rob

    Rob, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Joy

    cowboyz Guest

    if you goto http://www.jermar.com/
    and get a program called windrivers backup you can save all your current
    drivers with a single click. This will then give you all your current
    drivers but it is probably a good opportunity to search the net for updated
    ones anyway

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Joy

    officehelp Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f49c3ff$...
    > Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
    >
    > I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened. It's
    > running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
    > I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try

    myself.
    > The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and kept handy?
    > I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that if I use the

    former,
    > I will be asked to produce the latter?
    >
    > Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
    > Joy

    The August issue or either Australian PC User or Personal Computer...(APC
    and PCU, Ask the newsagent)
    has a program which you run on your PC before you zap it and it finds all
    the drivers you use and puts them in a folder. You can then copy that folder
    somewhere and when your new install asks for a driver, point it to the
    folder.
    I have only read about it, not used it so if anyone else in the group has
    actually used it, perhaps they could comment.

    Cheers

    officehelp, Aug 27, 2003
  9. officehelp wrote:
    > "Joy" <> wrote in message
    >> Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
    >>
    >> I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened.
    >> It's running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
    >> I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try
    >> myself. The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and
    >> kept handy? I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that
    >> if I use the former, I will be asked to produce the latter?
    >>
    >> Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
    >> Joy
    >>

    > The August issue or either Australian PC User or Personal
    > Computer...(APC and PCU, Ask the newsagent)
    > has a program which you run on your PC before you zap it and it finds
    > all the drivers you use and puts them in a folder. You can then copy
    > that folder somewhere and when your new install asks for a driver,
    > point it to the folder.
    > I have only read about it, not used it so if anyone else in the group
    > has actually used it, perhaps they could comment.

    It is an *excellent* tool. Will save me hours of work.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 28, 2003