Reformatting Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by T.C., Nov 1, 2003.

  1. T.C.

    T.C. Guest

    Information

    The only thing on the desktop case is on the back.
    Product Code: SP5AT

    System Properties window.
    Under General, tab
    Computer: Pentium(r) 64.0MB Ram

    When starting up computer this is what is displayed.
    Startup
    AMIBIOS (c) 1992 American Megatrends, Inc.
    BIOS Version 1.00.12 AX1
    065536 KB
    Adaptec AHA-2940 Bios v1.11
    (c) 1994 Adapter, Inc. All Rights Reserved
    <<<Press<Ctrl><A>for SCSISelect (TM) Utility!>>>
    SCSI ID#0 - SEAGATE ST3123ON -DriveC:(80h)
    SCSI ID#1 - SEAGATE ST3123ON -DriveD:(81h)
    SCSI ID#2 - TEAC CD-Rom CD-532S
    BIOS Installed Successfully!

    What I did

    Formatted both hard drives. ( Both 1GB )
    Then I formatted C:
    Because both drives were small so I drvspace them. I did this while in DOS.
    One is the C: and One is the D:, after drvspace, I now have an H: and I:
    I installed windows3.1 and then installed windows95 update from floppies.

    Problems

    I have no sound and in System Properties, under Device Manager tab I have the
    following!

    Hard disk controllers
    ! PC Tech PCI IDE Single or Dual Port Controller
    Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller

    Mouse
    Logitech Serial Mouse
    ! PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    ! Standard PS/2 Port Mouse

    Sound, video and game controllers
    ! MS Windows Sound System Compatible

    I removed the ! items and rebooted. Still have the same ! items listed.

    Also:
    I'm getting the following message:
    Error Starting Program
    ! The C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT20.DLL file appears to be corrupt.
    Reinstall the file, and then try again.
    How do I do this?
    Do I have to reinstall windows95 again?
    I removed MSVCRT20.DLL from C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory and then rebooted.
    MSVCRT20.DLL was reinstalled into C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM and with the same problem.
    I'm assuming that MSVCRT20.DLL was copied from C:WINDOWS\SYSBACKUP directory.

    Questions

    I have windows95 and windows98 CD-ROM disks.
    Is there a way to have the computer recognize the CD-ROM drive so I don't have
    to take time to install windows3.1 and then windows95 from floppies?
    Any one who has done this and sometimes has to redo over again knows how time
    consuming it is!
    After I install windows95 from the floppies, of course the CD-ROM drive ( in
    this case E: ) was installed.
    I tried to install windows98 full version, but the message that I got was, I
    had to install windows98 upgrade.
    Which I don't have.
    Anyway around this?

    The mouse error, I'm not concerned about, because the mouse works OK.
    But I would like to have sound.
    I tried another sound board. Still the same.
    Should I try another sound board?
    If the mother board or port is bad is there any software that would verify
    this?

    I Thank you ahead of time for any help you can give me.
    Ted

    T.C., Nov 1, 2003

  2. T.C.

    mark mandel Guest

    check "View Resources". You then want to see what the IRQ list says about
    one or more of the devices occupying the same IRQ #. Because then you'd
    have a conflict accounting for the yellow exclamation marks you mentioned.

    mark mandel, Nov 2, 2003

  3. T.C.

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:29:47 GMT, (T.C. ) wrote:

    >Information
    >
    >The only thing on the desktop case is on the back.
    >Product Code: SP5AT
    >
    >System Properties window.
    >Under General, tab
    >Computer: Pentium(r) 64.0MB Ram
    >
    >When starting up computer this is what is displayed.
    >Startup
    >AMIBIOS (c) 1992 American Megatrends, Inc.
    >BIOS Version 1.00.12 AX1
    >065536 KB
    >Adaptec AHA-2940 Bios v1.11
    >(c) 1994 Adapter, Inc. All Rights Reserved
    ><<<Press<Ctrl><A>for SCSISelect (TM) Utility!>>>
    >SCSI ID#0 - SEAGATE ST3123ON -DriveC:(80h)
    >SCSI ID#1 - SEAGATE ST3123ON -DriveD:(81h)
    >SCSI ID#2 - TEAC CD-Rom CD-532S
    >BIOS Installed Successfully!
    >
    >What I did
    >
    >Formatted both hard drives. ( Both 1GB )
    >Then I formatted C:
    >Because both drives were small so I drvspace them. I did this while in DOS.
    >One is the C: and One is the D:, after drvspace, I now have an H: and I:
    >I installed windows3.1 and then installed windows95 update from floppies.
    >
    >Problems
    >
    >I have no sound and in System Properties, under Device Manager tab I have the
    >following!

    Make sure you have the Windows 95 drivers installed for this card. If
    the card is newer than Win95, this card may not work.

    >Hard disk controllers
    > ! PC Tech PCI IDE Single or Dual Port Controller
    > Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller

    Make sure you have the controller for the cdrom turned on in the
    BIOS...to auto if you have that option with that BIOS. And make sure
    you have the jumper set properly.

    More than likely, the system is confusing the cdrom with the D hard
    drive. Try loading the drivers for the cdrom thru the autoexec and
    config. Windows should then see it...and make the necessary
    adjustment. But sometimes this problem can be difficult to solve...at
    least by way of newsgroups. Its pretty easy in person, though.

    >Mouse
    > Logitech Serial Mouse
    > ! PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    > ! Standard PS/2 Port Mouse

    You said your mouse is working properly...serial mouse? So don't
    worry about it.

    >Sound, video and game controllers
    > ! MS Windows Sound System Compatible

    Did all this work okay with 3.1?

    >Questions
    >
    >I have windows95 and windows98 CD-ROM disks.
    >Is there a way to have the computer recognize the CD-ROM drive so I don't have
    >to take time to install windows3.1 and then windows95 from floppies?

    You need to have that option in the BIOS...and your BIOS may be too
    old to have that feature.

    >Any one who has done this and sometimes has to redo over again knows how time
    >consuming it is!
    >After I install windows95 from the floppies, of course the CD-ROM drive ( in
    >this case E: ) was installed.

    The cdrom is WORKING!? If so, disregard all the above about the
    cdrom.

    >I tried to install windows98 full version, but the message that I got was, I
    >had to install windows98 upgrade.
    >Which I don't have.
    >Anyway around this?

    Yes...but I'd hafta find the instructions. Its been a LONG time since
    I had ta do that. Maybe someone with a better memory can jump in here
    and help.

    >The mouse error, I'm not concerned about, because the mouse works OK.
    >But I would like to have sound.
    >I tried another sound board. Still the same.
    >Should I try another sound board?

    No. But you should try 95-compatible drivers

    >If the mother board or port is bad is there any software that would verify
    >this?

    You simply have an old system...and yer tryin' to put on an old
    version of Windows. And yer complicating matters with a SCSI
    controller and using DriveSpace. Not insurmountable problems...but
    not the easiest way to go either.

    But am I correct that everything is actually running okay except for
    the sound card?

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003
  4. T.C.

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    >>I tried to install windows98 full version, but the message that I got
    >>was, I had to install windows98 upgrade.
    >>Which I don't have.
    >>Anyway around this?

    > Yes...but I'd hafta find the instructions. Its been a LONG time since
    > I had ta do that. Maybe someone with a better memory can jump in here
    > and help.

    Short answer:
    Boot to a command prompt then:
    c:
    cd\windows
    ren win.com win.old
    <reboot>

    Pick c:\windows to install to, the full version will perform the upgrade
    just fine now.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)