    Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    suggestions ?

    Thanks

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007

  2. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >it has a problem.
    >
    >I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >error
    >'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    >I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    >Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >suggestions ?
    >
    >Thanks

    Mine has the Same File you can't delete it as its read only and a system file..

    It was there from the start Zero bytes..

    Greg House, Sep 8, 2007

  3. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >it has a problem.
    >
    >I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >error
    >'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    >I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    >Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >suggestions ?
    >
    >Thanks

    Replying to myself.

    chkdsk found no errors on the new drive and after turning on "show
    system folders" my lost folder reappeared - somehow Windows decided to
    make my (compressed) folder a system folder as well - so now I've
    deleted all its subfolders and I'm just left with "System Volume
    Information" which I believe is associated with system restore and can
    apparently be deleted by temporarily turning off system restore - but
    I don't want to do that coz all restore points are lost.

    Now I just need some backup software that knows not to backup things
    like Sys Volume Info and doesn't rely on the archive attribute...

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007
  4. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:06:29 +1200, Greg House <
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >>it has a problem.
    >>
    >>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >>error
    >>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >>
    >>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >>
    >>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >>suggestions ?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >Mine has the Same File you can't delete it as its read only and a system file..
    >

    >It was there from the start Zero bytes..

    My external hard drive has one of these in the root too but the one
    I'm trying to delete is in a subfolder - it got copied there from C
    drive during a backup.

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007
  5. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >it has a problem.
    >
    >I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >error
    >'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    >I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    >Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >suggestions ?
    >
    >Thanks

    This is a suggestion reported, but was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

    My drive is formatted NTFS

    Greg House, Sep 8, 2007
  6. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >it has a problem.
    >
    >I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >error
    >'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    >I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    >Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >suggestions ?
    >
    >Thanks

    Here are 2 links but one was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    My drive is formatted NTFS

    Greg House, Sep 8, 2007
  7. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >it has a problem.
    >
    >I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >error
    >'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    >I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    >Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >suggestions ?
    >
    >Thanks

    Here are 2 links but one was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    One more

    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#SRFileLocation

    My drive is formatted NTFS

    Greg House, Sep 8, 2007
  8. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:47:22 +1200, Greg House <
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >>it has a problem.
    >>
    >>I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >>data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >>some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >>of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >>folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >>try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >>error
    >>'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >>
    >>I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >>
    >>Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >>suggestions ?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >Here are 2 links but one was quoted that it does not work with a USB Drive.
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531
    >

    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
    >

    >One more
    >

    >http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#SRFileLocation
    >

    >My drive is formatted NTFS

    For some reason the folder properties dialog doesn't show a security
    tab (even on C drive) so those MS support suggestions don't work for
    me, but thanks.

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007
  9. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >it has a problem.
    >
    >I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >error
    >'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    >I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    >Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >suggestions ?
    >
    >Thanks

    If you can't get XP to format the drive use this HP USB format tool.

    http://www.docjelly.com/Blog/content/binary/SP27213.exe

    Greg House, Sep 8, 2007
  10. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:38:05 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >it has a problem.
    >
    >I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >error
    >'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    >I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    >Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >suggestions ?
    >
    >Thanks

    If you can't get XP to format the drive use this HP USB format tool.

    http://www.docjelly.com/Blog/content/binary/SP27213.exe

    Find that is the older verion, here is a newer one..

    http://h50178.www5.hp.com/support/PB137UA/more_info_local_17550.html

    And even a much later one with added features have not tried this one..

    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/ZIP/HPUSBF.exe

    Greg House, Sep 8, 2007
  11. darkknight

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, darkknight.21
    @gmail.com says...

    > I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    > it has a problem.
    >
    > I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    > data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    > some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    > of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    > folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    > try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    > error
    > 'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >
    > I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >
    > Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    > suggestions ?

    Just format the drive - if you've been reading around here for a while
    you'll know that 'Greg House' is Woger. He's a mainframe expert :)
    Basically, ignore any replies he makes or bozo bin him.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 8, 2007
  12. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:13:00 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>, darkknight.21
    >@gmail.com says...
    >>
    >> I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >> it has a problem.
    >>
    >> I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >> data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >> some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >> of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >> folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >> try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >> error
    >> 'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >>
    >> I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >>
    >> Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >> suggestions ?

    >Just format the drive - if you've been reading around here for a while
    >you'll know that 'Greg House' is Woger. He's a mainframe expert :)
    >Basically, ignore any replies he makes or bozo bin him.

    I'm happy to ignore the un-deletable folder for now. The drive is
    working fine apart from that so I don't want to reformat it now.

    darkknight, Sep 8, 2007
  13. darkknight

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 09:28:33 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:13:00 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, darkknight.21
    >>@gmail.com says...
    >>>
    >>> I have a Seagate freeagent external hard drive which I just bought and
    >>> it has a problem.
    >>>
    >>> I created a couple of folders on it and then backed up about 8 GB of
    >>> data to it, with compression enabled on the destination folder. At
    >>> some point, the destination folder disappeared but there is still 6GB
    >>> of data on the disk - I just can't see any of it - the name of the
    >>> folder containing it all does not appear in the parent folder. When I
    >>> try to delete the parent folder (it is called 'backups') I get an
    >>> error
    >>> 'cannot delete folder "System Volume Information" - access denied'.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried rebooting but it made no difference. (using Win XP pro).
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to reformat the external hard drive ? Any other
    >>> suggestions ?

    >>Just format the drive - if you've been reading around here for a while
    >>you'll know that 'Greg House' is Woger. He's a mainframe expert :)
    >>Basically, ignore any replies he makes or bozo bin him.

    >I'm happy to ignore the un-deletable folder for now. The drive is
    >working fine apart from that so I don't want to reformat it now.

    Don't take any notice of this Idiot, I have the same type of drive and do check on things, to many
    teenagers here that just do not know a thing and have had no training at all.

    I have plenty of references to back up my expertise.

    Greg House, Sep 9, 2007
  14. darkknight

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 09:28:33 +1200, darkknight <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:13:00 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>In article <>, darkknight.21
    > >>@gmail.com says...

    > >>Just format the drive - if you've been reading around here for a while
    > >>you'll know that 'Greg House' is Woger. He's a mainframe expert :)
    > >>Basically, ignore any replies he makes or bozo bin him.

    > >I'm happy to ignore the un-deletable folder for now. The drive is
    > >working fine apart from that so I don't want to reformat it now.

    > Don't take any notice of this Idiot, I have the same type of drive and do check on things, to many
    > teenagers here that just do not know a thing and have had no training at all.
    >
    > I have plenty of references to back up my expertise.

    You couldn't be more wrong Roger. The first thing I do with removable
    USB drives is format the manufacturer *junk* off them, get the *wasted*
    space *back*.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 10, 2007
  15. darkknight

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Don't take any notice of this Idiot, I have the same type of drive
    > > and do check on things, to many teenagers here that just do not
    > > know a thing and have had no training at all.
    > >
    > > I have plenty of references to back up my expertise.

    > You couldn't be more wrong Roger. The first thing I do with removable
    > USB drives is format the manufacturer *junk* off them, get the
    > *wasted* space *back*.

    I've just bought my first-ever USB stick, a 2GB Imation. I previously
    deleted the Imation software off it and, after reading your post, formatted
    it (under XP Pro). It was FAT, I formatted it FAT32. Was that wise? Also,
    Windows doesn't give me the option to delete the partition as it does on
    HDDs. I thought to delete the partition, then create a new one and format
    that. Instead I just clicked format and specified FAT32.

    Thoughts?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2007
  16. darkknight

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > Don't take any notice of this Idiot, I have the same type of drive
    > > > and do check on things, to many teenagers here that just do not
    > > > know a thing and have had no training at all.
    > > >
    > > > I have plenty of references to back up my expertise.

    > > You couldn't be more wrong Roger. The first thing I do with removable
    > > USB drives is format the manufacturer *junk* off them, get the
    > > *wasted* space *back*.

    > I've just bought my first-ever USB stick, a 2GB Imation. I previously
    > deleted the Imation software off it and, after reading your post, formatted
    > it (under XP Pro). It was FAT, I formatted it FAT32. Was that wise? Also,
    > Windows doesn't give me the option to delete the partition as it does on
    > HDDs. I thought to delete the partition, then create a new one and format
    > that. Instead I just clicked format and specified FAT32.

    The discussion was actually USB hard drives; but the same is probably
    true of USB sticks... my wee Sansa mp3 player is natively formatted
    FAT32 (on the player, and also on the wee additional microSD chip - they
    both come up as seperate drives).

    You can always format original FAT if you have any problems, instead of
    FAT32 (I note I have options on my sansa player when I right click and
    Format to format FAT, FAT32 and NTFS; but I've never tried other
    formats). There is probably little point on a 2Gb drive.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 11, 2007
  17. darkknight

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > says...

    > > > You couldn't be more wrong Roger. The first thing I do with
    > > > removable USB drives is format the manufacturer *junk* off them,
    > > > get the *wasted* space *back*.

    > > I've just bought my first-ever USB stick, a 2GB Imation. I
    > > previously deleted the Imation software off it and, after reading
    > > your post, formatted it (under XP Pro). It was FAT, I formatted it
    > > FAT32. Was that wise? Also, Windows doesn't give me the option to
    > > delete the partition as it does on HDDs. I thought to delete the
    > > partition, then create a new one and format that. Instead I just
    > > clicked format and specified FAT32.

    > The discussion was actually USB hard drives; but the same is probably
    > true of USB sticks... my wee Sansa mp3 player is natively formatted
    > FAT32 (on the player, and also on the wee additional microSD chip -
    > they both come up as seperate drives).
    >
    > You can always format original FAT if you have any problems, instead
    > of FAT32 (I note I have options on my sansa player when I right click
    > and Format to format FAT, FAT32 and NTFS; but I've never tried other
    > formats). There is probably little point on a 2Gb drive.

    Thanks.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.